HPS light and heat

rumplestiltskin

Hey!

So i know LED is the way to go for many reasons, especially heat. However the one I want is out of my price range for 3-6 months, so I'm going with the hotter HPS dual spectrum bulb.

I have a small 3x3 in my cupboard, and want to know if this should be sufficient to remove the heat.

I will put the bulb into a cool tube reflector with an inline fan before the bulb, connected to the vent tubing, out of my tent and then through a hole in the ceiling going into my loft. 5" equipment.

If this will do the job, then I'm a happy chap until I can afford the LED stuff! :D

The cool tube will help alot. Depending on the size of bulb/watts will determine how efficient it is.
Also you still need to replace the air in the tent, this requires the air that you bring into the tent being cooler than the desires temperature.
I like the temp in my tent to be around 27°, so the temperature of the air that I bring into the tent must be atleast 8° cooler than 27° or my tent heats up.
I use 600w hps in winter, in the Summer i don't even try.
Only way to find out is to run your system for a couple of days , see how it does.

Hey Rumplestiltskin!

Welcome to 420 Magazine!

Your plan sounds reasonable, however couple thoughts come to mind. Use a cheapie hygrometer $10 - $15 bucks most have a memory function that can tell you the high & low temps. In any tent or enclosure one needs to not only monitor the temps but you must be able to control the temps to a certain extent.

Also most hps have digital dimmable ballast- you may have to dial back to a lower wattage to keep your cabinet or enclosure at the right temps. About 80 - 82 degrees Fahrenheit is the upper end of the temp limit. Yes some strains & outdoor growers can experience much higher temps but this is decent rule of thumb for high temps on indoors grow.

Not sure what is 3 X 3 is that vent hole? But yes what Listers said - fresh cool air must enter to help push the warm air out.

I’d like to encourage you to open a journal as you get started. If you add all your details on the first page it will help significantly. Soil mix, grow space, lights, fans, the strain your are growing, nutes etc etc. this way any one can scroll up to your first page and read your notes then offer the appropriate help if you’ve hit a roadblock.

Best of luck to ya!

Back
Top Bottom