HPS V.s CFL [My First Time Growing]

WeedSmokerNYC

Hey everyone, Back again with complete noob questions.

Yesterday my Seeds came in from Attitude Seed Bank :peace: =D

5 White Widow Seeds [Female]
5 AK-47 X LowRyder #2 Seeds [Female]
5 G13 Labs Thai Super Skunk Seeds [Female]

Im planning on Growing my Dwarf Autoflowers first with 1 White Widow and 1 Thai Skunk to Test them since they are harder to grow then the Dwarfs.

They will be in a different place, Probably a Homebox for the 2 and the Dwarfs will be in a Closet.

This will be my First time growing something Complicated or out of states. I currently have a Bag Seed growing its about 7 Inchs tall lots of leafs about 1-2 Months old under 1 Light on a desk.. Its like a reading light nothing special. LoL Yes really crappy it was just a test grow before I did some research.

Now that I have my seeds I have to get things together.
Im using a closet thats about 6-7 Feet High, 2 Feet Deep, 3 1/2 Feet Wide.

Now I have about $150 MAX To spend. Yes I know very cheap but living in New York I have to deal with it and Im tired of the crappy weed we got.

List of things I already got. -
5 Emergency Blankets [Reflects light better then Foil]
2 Fans [One Screwed to the door of the Closet blowing Air out, One Screwed to the top of the Closet Ceiling blowing down on the plants]
5 Different Strains of Seeds
Pots ranging from 4 Inches to 5 Gallons [About 10 Pots]
Leaving the Soil and Nutrients for last after I get my Lights.

So far I have Lined the sides of my Closet with the Blankets making it shiny =] Screwed the Fans into place. Took the Door off the Closet and Duct Taped big black garbage bags outside the closet making a Walkway into the Closet looking something like

|-------|
|Closet |
|__ __|
| |
| |<___This being the Black Bags taped like a doorway into the closet
| |
--- <__ Door is black garbage bag also just taped to look like a door

The rest you do with your mind, I will have pictures up once I get my Lights and then will begin to make a grow Journel.

Question now.....

How many CFL Would I have to use for 3-6 Plants in my Closet ?
Anywhere I could get a cheap HPS Light for $150 or Close to that?

I read this on a site:

125 & 200 Watt CFL - Compact Fluorescent Grow Lights

These CFL grow lights are available in 125 & 200 watt models. The 2700k bulb provides increased output in the red spectrum which promotes flowering & budding in plants. The 6400k & 5000K bulbs are full spectrum bulb which promotes overall plant growth. 125 watt bulbs are 8,500 lumens. 200 watt bulbs are 12,800 lumens. Average life is 10,000 hours. Requires a larger mogul fixture or socket and 110/120 volt outlet. Size 14" x 4" (125w) 14" x 5" (200w)

Says 8K - 12K Lumens with a Red Spectrum is this good for Flowering / Using for the WHOLE Growth Period ?
Im a complete noob and dont have the money to buy $300-400 Lights and can't risk buying CFL Lights if they wont work.

Also I have Read Boss Mans Poor Grow but I still need help so any help is Appericiated.

[My First Time Growing] Supplies ...

I would use as many as heat and budget can take. The 2700's grow plants VERY well. 3-6 plants in that space would do fine with 8-12 26watt bulbs or 2-3 125w bulbs.

Thanks Boss man.

I actually just ordered: High Tech Garden Supply
That with the help of a friend who wanted to get in on my Operation. I will be finishing my Closet Grow Room today and will have Pictures up either Friday or Saturday when the Light gets here since its only in the next state. I will be staying on this site for the long run for Learning Experiences and to make a Journal.

:rollit:

What I Ordered yesterday is:

ULTIMATE 400 WATT GROW LIGHT SYSTEM BOTH HPS & MH

Here it is, the ULTIMATE Grow Light, a 400 watt High Pressure Sodium grow light system combined with a 400 watt Metal Halide grow light system. This ULTIMATE system includes one fantastic grow light ballast, two specialty horticultural bulbs (lamps), an awesome four-side horizontal reflector and a FREE heavy duty timer. This is a better value in grow lights than you would find at any other hydroponics store

Also I Ordered some Soil since they had great prices and since they also sold it on the same site.

Product: TEN - 2 Gallon Plastic Nursery Pots

Product: Perlite - 8 quart bag

Product: FoxFarm's Ocean Forest Potting Mix 1. 5 Cubic Feet

Are those some Good Mixes?

Total Costs for the 4 Products?

Product: HTGSupply Ultimate 400w HPS & MH Grow Light
4 Sided Horizontal Reflector
Standard 400w HPS Bulb
GrowBright 400 watt MH Conversion Bulb
No Spare HPS Bulb
No Sunrise Hi-Low Reflector Hangers
Dual Outlet Mechanical Timer - Heavy Duty
No Spare MH Conversion Bulb
Standard Warranty

Price: $164.95
Quantity: 1
Total Price: $164.95

Product: TEN - 2 Gallon Plastic Nursery Pots
!
Price: $10.00
Total Price: $10.00

Product: Perlite - 8 quart bag

Price: $3.95
T! otal Price: $3.95

Product: FoxFarm's Ocean Forest Potting Mix 1. 5 Cubic Feet

Price: $20.95
Total Price: $20.95

Sub Total: $199.85
Shipping: $36.94
Sales Tax: $0.00
TOTAL: $236.79

I think was a real good deal seeing as I saw HPS Lights for $200-300 and this one comes with a MH Conversion which is good for Vegg I believe.

Can anyone recommened anything else?

I bought all these Products from HTGSupply.com - Cheap and 1 State away =D

htgsupply has good deals on nutes i'd reccomend the 3 pak of
fox farm nutes and get a max min thermometer about 20$ hardware or garden center

feed less than the nutes say half as often and more dilute until
you get a handle on things and dialedin then increase

under feeding won't kill your plant overfeeding can and its sometimes too quick to stop even with a soil change and flush out

that max min therm will let you know if its getting too hot in you day in that grow

super cheap organic veg state nutes DIY--- google urine as fertilizer--- pee in a mason jar fill to near top with water
cover and let sit 2 weeks mix 1 shot glass aged pee with
a quart of water -water your dirt only do not use for foliar
smell control issue more than euuu factor ...

have used this as back-up veg nute for years [ on fixed income]

I'll soon be using a 4', 4 lamp T5 fixture that puts out 20,000 lumens. It matches the output of a 400+ watt MH for about 225 watts. It has Agromax tubes, 2 6500K and 2 3000K. It's hung in a 3'X4'X6' shelf unit.

So, it has the same output as a 400 watt light at half the power and heat, and HTG has one for $130 plus shipping. They also have 2 foot versions for your closet.

Back
Top Bottom