HTG Supply Inline Duct Fan

upinvapor

I was going to use a Home Depot duct fan but found these on HTG Supply with a power cord that plugs right into the outlet. Does anyone have experience with these fans or tips/comments?

High Tech Garden Supply

Will this cool a 3.5' x 3' x 6' flowering chamber with a 400W HPS when used with a passive intake?

These are the old school generic can fans. I've used 4inch models in the past and they're ok. Pros are that they're cheap and better than nothing. Cons are they run real hot ,are noisey and you need several for a larger application.
A 60-125 cfm squirrel cage blower is a way better option at a decent cost.:peace:

Ok, I have put some more thought into this since some have told me this is not enough ventilation. HTG Supply has 3 different sizes for this duct fan: They have a 4", 6", and 8". The 4" - 80CFM, 6" - 160CFM, 8" - 300CFM.

What about if I use 2 of the 6" fans in the flowering chamber with a decent size passive intake? I will be using CFLs in the Veg side for clones and mothers. With just CFLs on that side will I still need to exhaust? If I do, what about if I make a passive intake at the bottom of the mother veg chamber and a 4" exhaust in both the mother and clone chambers and run ducting from those two outtake holes into a Y splitter with a 6" duct fan pulling air out of both of those chambers since they should not get too hot without a HID? If using one fan for the mother and clone sections together will not work I could do a passive intake and 4" exhaust duct fan from HTG supply in each of those chambers, which would set me up with 2 6" exhaust duct fans in the flower chamber and 2 4" fans in the veg chambers, one in with mothers and one with clones. How does that sound? The HPS I am using in the flowering chamber I bought from HTGSupply a couple years ago but never turned on. It will not have a cool tube.

Gosh size and quantity of fans is very hard to determine by anybody but you.
Basically is what you want to achieve is temps between 75-85 with humidity of 55% in the flower chamber and 55-75% in the vegging chamber. The air quality should either be nearly constantly fresh or heavily laden with CO2 if it's not vented out. To achieve these results will require alot of trial and error while monitering the effects of fan placement and cfm range set up in different configurations.
There are so many variables when trying to dial in the air that there is no real one universal way to set up a grow space. Plus adjustments are always being made as plants grow.
Remember when figuring exaust and intake that it is not done just to vent the heat from lights but also the humidity from the water transpired by the plants and to stimulate the stomata on the leaves to promote healthy growth.

Ok so with that light here is how you mount it. If you want a cool tube reflector it will work with that or any light, you just have to swap out reflectors by removing the socket and cord from the HTG reflector and mount the socket into the cool tube. The cord should be long enough so that the ballast(power supply box) sits outside of the grow space with the bulb in the cool tube inside the grow space.
That ballast is what's called a magnetic ballast. Mag ballasts run very hot. I highly recommend placing a small fan on it to cool it. Doing so will help the ballast work longer,cooler, and more efficiently. I have a mag ballast that's been going for over ten years now without issue because I keep it cool.
As for your hardwood question it's just a matter of preference. I use a cheap partical board plywood for my veg chamber and it works great.
I gave up on mylar long ago after I was getting better results from the walls in my grow areas painted flat white. The inside of my bloom hut which is made of panda film is also white.

Ok so with that light here is how you mount it. If you want a cool tube reflector it will work with that or any light, you just have to swap out reflectors by removing the socket and cord from the HTG reflector and mount the socket into the cool tube. The cord should be long enough so that the ballast(power supply box) sits outside of the grow space with the bulb in the cool tube inside the grow space.
That ballast is what's called a magnetic ballast. Mag ballasts run very hot. I highly recommend placing a small fan on it to cool it. Doing so will help the ballast work longer,cooler, and more efficiently. I have a mag ballast that's been going for over ten years now without issue because I keep it cool.
As for your hardwood question it's just a matter of preference. I use a cheap partical board plywood for my veg chamber and it works great.
I gave up on mylar long ago after I was getting better results from the walls in my grow areas painted flat white. The inside of my bloom hut which is made of panda film is also white.

So I need to have a fan outside the box blowing on the ballast for the 400W HPS?

I have the exhaust fan from my veg cab blowing over my wall-mounted digital ballasts.

I came across this quite by accident when I added a 4" 90-degree elbow to the cab's exhaust fan to direct the airflow upwards, and because of the position of the cab in my grow room, it just happened to point right at the ballasts up on my wall ;).

I have the exhaust fan from my veg cab blowing over my wall-mounted digital ballasts.

I came across this quite by accident when I added a 4" 90-degree elbow to the cab's exhaust fan to direct the airflow upwards, and because of the position of the cab in my grow room, it just happened to point right at the ballasts up on my wall ;).

Awesome. I have since decided not to use these duct fans and am planning on using a Stanley fan modded to pull air over a 6" cool tube and exhaust out of the room, just looking to see if anyone else has done this just for a cool tube. I would be hooking the 6" duct to the intake on the fan.

Awesome. I have since decided not to use these duct fans and am planning on using a Stanley fan modded to pull air over a 6" cool tube and exhaust out of the room, just looking to see if anyone else has done this just for a cool tube. I would be hooking the 6" duct to the intake on the fan.

Well for what it's worth I have the 8 in. fan/carbon filter from htg. I think it's a 564cfm? It clears my 12ft.x11ft. room out pretty good. However it is brand new and I'm running it at full power even though I purchased the speed controller from HTG too. I thought it would clear the room out 100% since it's supposed to clear it out every 5 to 10 mins. But I still have some stink.

Those fans are better than nothing, but they will never work anywhere near as good as one of these

DSCF8410.JPG

Ok, I have decided to get a decent inline fan to vent my flower chamber but I need to vent a 2' x 2' x 4' veg chamber and due to some smell probably coming I want to filter the exhaust. I have gone back to thinking about using the Inline Duct Booster fan to exhaust my Veg Chamber with one of the DIY Pencil Cup Carbon Scrubbers. Since it's a smaller box with only a few CFLs and a 250W MH, would this do it?

I got a 4" vortex with speed control for a 2.7x2.7x6 tent with passives and a 250 watt aircooled and only use less then half fan speed. Never had any temp issues other then it get a little chilly at night with 65 but day is at 73-78.

Back
Top Bottom