Humidors! Are they the new future?

Ice0verlord

So i been looking around and now been seeing people using seasoned humidors that keep it nice and perfectly fresh can any1 confirm?

and if any humidity should it be kept at 70% humidity

more less?

i have a 300 count humidor i used to keep cigars as you would think mold would get in there it doesn't unless u have nothing in the humidor to absorb the moisture

will they keep strains longer fresher and even taste better?

in my mind and thinking it keeps them from drying out but i do not know how much humidity

Tobacco is stored at a higher humidity than cannabis, I believe. As for cigars not molding under the higher humidity... nicotine is a toxin. You can take a petri dish full of life of all kinds, drop a bit of it into the center of the dish, and a circle of destruction forms. Mold spores probably have an uphill battle to establish themselves in the cigars.

Less humidity for cannabis.

Someone made a post that listed the ranges for drying/curing/storage, but I've lost the thread.

all right i looked around but the only thing i saw was 1 person saying 30-35 is this about correct?
other people are saying 35

all right i looked around but the only thing i saw was 1 person saying 30-35 is this about correct?
other people are saying 35

There are lots of threads here about drying/curing/storing. Unfortunately, I cannot find the specific one I was looking for, had a chart in it which included optimum storage conditions. Here is something along those lines, and a link to the thread I found it in:

This has been floating around the grows and I'm not sure who to credit for it but I found it to be extremely helpful, especially as a newbie going through it the first time . More to the point it worked great!

------------------------------------------------
It's a very simple and effective process:

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feel dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

-------------------------------------------------

As I said I'm a newbie, I found it extremely hard to figure out if I was doing the cure right, this takes out the guess work.

After I got the hygrometers I tested some stash that had been sitting in jars (luckily in the cold) for months, I thought it was doing great. The rh was over 70%. If it had been warmer that stuff would have been lost to mold.

A cautionary note, I tried using normal cheapo temp/humidity gauges, they don't read correctly in small enclosed spaces I guess, the rh readings were off by more than 20%. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, get a Cal III. Get several. I like to have one for each 4 jars so I can keep a close eye on things. You need to leave them in there 24 hours later in the cure to get good readings.

What is the best way to dry and preserve the cure for smooth, sweet buds?

To revive an old thread, In case people are wondering the same question. I would take a look at the CVault (google it). I just purchased two of them and they work perfectly for curing.

Back
Top Bottom