Hygrozyme Headache!

felis

420 Member
Guys,

Since I started using Hygrozyme [ instead of Cannazym ] during mid grow........my run-to-waste fertigation reservoir is full of algae. Grrrrr.

I started this run to waste coco grow using Canna Coco nutes......A and B, cannazym, Bio Rhizotonic, along with Calimagic and potassium silicate. The Bio Rhizotonic was responsible for making algae in the res. I quit adding it. Yes....being "bio"......it's an algae-making factory, I now know.

Now, I have switched to 3 part GH Flora series nutes with Koolbloom and Diamond Nectar, Calimagic and potassium silicate. I was planning on sticking with Cannazym, but the shop was out of it......so they steered me to using Hygrozyme.......said it was a very similar product with similar results.

I don't use any H202 except for cleaning out the res and the hydro pump........to kill the algae.

As mentioned.......the Bio Rhizotonic was causing algae growth, so I quit using it.......the algae problem, after killing with H202 didn't return [ with Canna nutes ].

After switching to GH nutes, and using the last of the Cannazym I had........still no recurring problems with algae growth in the res. Now that I'm using Hygrozyme........the res algae is back. I'm pissed.

Now, I don't mind cleaning the res out and sterilizing everything say.......every 7 days or so, but now, I'd have to clean the tank every 3 days! In just 3 days with a clean tank and fresh mixed nutes, it's a slimy brown mess.

Finally, my question:
If I were to use H202 in the nute mix now, mid way through bloom......what would happen to the root zone? Obviously, the H202 would kill any bacteria and algae, both good and bad. What effect is this going to have on the plants?

Thanks for your thots.

Oh yeah........that spendy bottle of Hygrozyme is going into the trash!

In my limited experience h2o2 will not harm your plants roots even at a very heavy concentration. I haven't used it in a while but seems to me it was 2.5ml/gal (30% h2o2). I'm pretty sure I put 50ml in a 10 gal res with no noticeable ill effects. It only last for a day before it brakes down.

If you're in Canada I've been using Enzymes Komplete with pretty good success at 1ml/gal...Would you believe great success.

Not sure I understand you, my drain to waste goes into a pail and out to the garden every second day. It sounds like you're setup is either RDWC or NFT. Drain to waste basically means all your runoff goes down the drain or into the garden.

Thanks Bob.

Yes......in Canada, so no Botanicare Hydroguard here. I'll look at enzymes complete.
To be honest.....I'm not sure that I need any enzymes. I'm not planning on re-using the same coco for the next crop.....all new stuff.

I *think* that Cannazym is compatible with h202, but not 100 % sure. Enzymes in any brand are spendy.......are they actually worth the coin / vs results? Yes.....a very subjective question.

I already added the 29 percent h202 at 2ml / gallon today. It is clearing up the reservoir algae some......hopefully well enough so I can last another 5 days to the next res clean out.

I am drain to waste. I have an automatic fertigating system.....and it of course requires a reservoir. The run off goes into a drain pan, and I could care less if there was algae in it. It's the res with nutes that I'm concerned with.

So I'm currently killing off any good and bad bacteria with h202 in the coco pots now. Time will tell if the roots get damaged from this.

Thanks I get it now.
Enzymes Komplete is compatible with h2o2 here's a link to their h2o2 recipe. At 1ml/gal I have no need for the added h2o2. I could be wrong but that's a pretty low dose not? I think the recommended rate is like 2.5/gal, I've no algae at all on my current coco setup.
Yes I paid $128/gal so it's not cheap but I'm hoping it lasts a while. I like not having to bother with the algae in my pots, never had that problem with my res though (in the past). I didn't see much improvement spraying algae in my pots with h2o2 in the past. I double checked yesterday I've 0 algae in my 3 5gal pots now.

Oh ya at $128/gal I'm sure that's comparable with Cannazym
Not to confuse you but I switched setups so I'm talking 2 different setups here.

Back
Top Bottom