I need a little help germinating

HalfBaked98

Hey guys, quite new to this... I'm trying to get my first grow going. I got several seeds, put them in water for 24 hours, put them in a wet paper towel the next day for 48hours, and then, in most of the videos I see the seeds already have a rockin' root coming out ready to be planted, I', not sure if I'm doing something wrong or skipping a vital step. Could you tell me your personal way for great germinations?

Re: I need a little help germinating.

take that wet paper towel, put it in a baggie, and set it on top of your tv digital box for a night or two. I grow in rock wool, I soak the cube, put the seed in it, place the cube in a clear plastic cup and put plastic wrap over it, then onto the digital box for a couple of nights works great.

take that wet paper towel, put it in a baggie, and set it on top of your tv digital box for a night or two. I grow in rock wool, I soak the cube, put the seed in it, place the cube in a clear plastic cup and put plastic wrap over it, then onto the digital box for a couple of nights works great.

What is the ph of the water when doing the rockwool with seed? I have some sour diesel bag seed and would like to experiment with this ;)

my whole grow is rock wool, I keep it at 5.8.. I see you have a link to the Capn's clone in rock wool in your signature....look into his "how to grow a 1lb monster", and I think he had a simple hydroponics journal as well.. these are the methods I am currently working with.

I clone in Rockwool exclusively never tried a bean....getting to soak a 6 pack for trial and see what I get, thanks ;)

I am on my first rock wool grow. The nicest part about it is that it is hard to over water. The cubes hold so much water and so much air as long as you don't crush the cube. I am not sure the price difference as I have never grown in soil. If it interests you I would read this thread How to: Simple Hydroponics , and every other thread by The Capn. the man is a genius. Here is a link to my journal Go4snypr - Hydro Grow if you want to have a look. If you are keeping a low plant count and want a big harvest, I would recommend following the capn's instructions. The only other thing I have grown in was sunshine mix #4. which is a "soil less" mix. Looks like soil but it isn't.

would you guys recommend growing in rockwool instead of soil? if so, why?

It all depends what you want from your grow I suppose.

Me, personally, I'm all for organic and doing it the way 'mother nature' intended so I would say soil. Where as a lot of hydro-growers (hydro can be organic too) will swear by rock wool.

I'm not looking to be a hardcore grower, I just want a modest grow where I can have a moderate supply of bud. I don't want to spend alot of money and I'm also not looking for that 1lb harvest (yet!). One can say I'm on a budget, this project is mostly to familiarize myself with the growing, a test run.

For what it's worth...

I have an emery board from my girlfriend, I use the finest grit side and roll the seed around in my hand, with gentle pressure holding it between my thumb and finger at the other end.

I plant the seed directly into soil with the TIP facing down (where the taproot comes out). Many disagree on this method.

I put the pot in my grow, under the light, on an 18/6 light cycle.

I mist the soil a few times a day to keep it moist, never wet. Just moist. I usually see seeds between 24 hours, and 3 days. Some took a little longer, but I have 100% germination so far.

I don't soak them in water, no papertowels, no bags, none of that extra stuff for me.

wow, I tested that out the complete day yesterday... i opened the baggie today to see the status on the moistness of the papertowel and the seeds and over 3 of them already have a strong root poking out. Thanks for the advice, definatley what I'm going to do from now on.

Would you say that this seed is ready to be planted? : https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D92Jop2ZOYs/VDvS4o1CPPI/AAAAAAAAC8s/lytQs7raBQE/s1600/image.jpg

I use a CFL bulb in a shade just a few inches above the pot and leave it there for a couple of weeks. on a side note, the outside link to pictures is frowned upon. the mods will probably remove it. use the "gallery" tab at the top of the page to upload your photos, and use the "my photo" tab at the bottom of the quick reply box to put them directly into the thread.....

Back
Top Bottom