Need help seeds wont germinate

Re: need help seeds wont geerminate

coco's sprouting method:

Soak seeds 24hrs. NO LONGER
If your seeds are fresh they may crack before 24hrs. are up.
If they start to sprout in the water I remove them and place them into papertowels.
The seeds that do not crack in soaking I gently hand crack them and place those into papertowels. The papertowels then go into a plastic baggie.
Why the hand cracking of the un-sprouted seeds?
Some seeds have a hardtime cracking the shell.
If you can get the shell cracked with out damaging the baby, the taproot will usually do the rest, if there is life in the seed.
After another 24hrs. in the papertowels they seeds should be carefully planted in the medium of choice. I like yo use coco.

I have had very good success using this method.
This method has sprouted properly stored 10-12 seeds.

:peace: to all the brothers and sisters,
cocoJoe

I guess I do my own little version of the paper towel method. Replace paper towel with toilet paper. I place beans into my small white coffee cup, spritz the bottom of the cup til it just covers the beans then place the tissue on top. I give the tissue a little spritz to keep it moist. Then I cover the cup with a black computer cloth I have. I have used this method plenty of times with success. A root usually pops out for me within 24-72 hours.

coco's sprouting method:

Soak seeds 24hrs. NO LONGER
If your seeds are fresh they may crack before 24hrs. are up.
If they start to sprout in the water I remove them and place them into papertowels.

I used to do that. But last year (maybe late the year before? I'm occasionally on stoner-time) I had some crack in the water. Within hours, I saw tiny taproot tips emerge. I just planted them and they came right up. I've always figured that excess handling of such delicate roots at an early time in development wasn't good for them. (Plus, I was afraid that in my ham-handedness I would end up squeezing the seed case and the roots might get a little bit snipped.) If the purpose of putting them into the damp paper towel was to make sure that I was planting a seed by being able to observe a visible root before planting, and I could already see the little buggers when they were in the water, I figured the purpose had already been served and skipped the "middle step."

I think the important thing would be that if one isn't aerating the water in the cup, well... A small amount of day-old (or two-day-old) water in a cup isn't going to contain much in the way of DO, and the difference between a healthy plant growing in water and one that looks/behaves like an over-watered soil-grown plant is whether or not there's enough oxygen in solution. So it would be best not to leave the freshly-germinated seed in there too long. But due to the tiny size of the (emerging) plant, it doesn't require much so it should be safe if the temperature isn't high.

So... I've germinated in cups of water. I've germinated in damp paper towels (the usual, covered with plastic so the water didn't evaporate). I've soaked in the cup of water and transferred to the paper towel. All three methods worked. I didn't notice any marked difference in the time it took, and I didn't do all three methods at once (nor did I try the three methods on the same stock of seeds). Has anyone taken seeds known to be from the same strain/generation/age and done a side-by-side to see which of the three methods actually was faster (if there was, in fact, enough variance in germination time to make a real-world difference)? Has anyone tested to see which had the fastest end-result (from initially starting the process to the seedling breaking ground in its first container of medium)? Has anyone done the same on a large enough scale (maybe 15-30 seeds at once in each of the three methods) to see if the M:F ratio were affected either positively or negatively by one or the other ways?

Try the bowl method or put them in the dirt, but are you keeping them completely dark and moist? germinating is suppose to mimic being in the dirt so you darkness(complete) as well as a moist environment but not too moist cause mold will show up.

I tried dropping 10 seeds in a small (shot glass) of distiller water and covering with a small box (shoe box) for about 4 days. All 10 sprouted.

get some stater soil a put the seed in water it keep it warm watch it grow whats so hard sometimes they die get a new seed try again.

Back
Top Bottom