In Praise of weak weed, or why low-THC might be better sometimes

Onamatopeia

When you look at the numbers, all these strains with 20+% THC, you start thinking anything less than that is weak.

I have to say I think that is crazy.

For generations the people in the 60's had stuff that was well in the single digits. A lot of it I think was like 2% or even less. And it worked fine for them. I have smoke plenty of crappy Mexican and it still worked great.

I am not saying I want to smoke 2% weed. But I honestly think 20% weed is less fun. It is too strong. Like a shot of whiskey when maybe you want a fine subtle brew instead. A joint of 20% weed is unsmokable, you get too high. A joint of 5% weed would get you high as a kite, and if it smelled or tasted extraordinary or had special effects, well I would be happy with 5%.

When legalization advanced and the market matures, I would love a gourmet tasting and smelling weed around say 7%. Still super strong, but you can pack a bowl without getting wasted.

Anybody else?

Re: In Praise of "weak" weed, or why low-THC might be better sometimes

Yes absolutely!:thumb: Though I'd prefer clear strong herb, like sativa, over murky feeling...anything. I do like smoking. I don't like feeling cloudy. I like the weak sativas too and herb that I can smoke a proper joint of yet still feel nice. As long as it's clear and I don't get that feeling after- like I've been hit with a sledgehammer in the forehead. Just a lightweight that way - I can't smoke so much of the high-test like my chronic friends, though I fully support them in their chronic-ness.

So glad you agree! I think a big part of it also is dosing.

It is simply much harder to smoke an appropriate amount when each hit is so powerful. Much easier to get too high! I don't want to get too high, and it is easier to avoid if your doses are smaller.

I ENJOY smoking a whole bowl or joint. More fun than a few measly hits!

Newbies should start with low THC

First time smokers should only have a toke or two of the weaker Pot.

We don't want them to get scared and never try pot again.
[video=youtube;TwFvH4Za_B4]
[/video]

Absolutely agree! All the horror stories about weed I bet most of them are noobs who smoke too much strong stuff. You gotta work UP to that level! Don't go dabbing for your first exposure to weed!

To me, dabbing is like grain alcohol. Hash and the killerest weed is like whiskey. I like to drink beer. Maybe a glass of wine sometimes. I like to relax and enjoy the process of smoking!

And let's get that guy above me his million signatures!

It's evolution though it's just people fine tuning what they have a passion for. Same as the micro brewing industry I agree on the way dosing should be applied for beginners but as a breeder and producer my goal and drive is to create the best.

Great thread

There are so many awesome options with cannabis now and it will only get better. There's more emphasis on all around quality- flavor, appearance and effect. I don't remember much talk about 'flavor' in the 'old days'.
Besides all the people that just love strong good quality herb, (and more power to them), or need strong medicine, historically probably some of the drive for stronger and stronger smoke also came from prohibition. I mean- it would be weird if the liquor store advertised the 'strongest' alcohol, and each year it just kept getting stronger. When alcohol was illegal though, I doubt if there was much of a market for anything that didn't kick ass. Hell no, you want the strongest stuff you can get because you are in a back alley meeting some guy you don't know, and you just want to get high and don't know when you will be able to get more.
Because alcohol is legal it's possible for things like microbreweries to exist, making quality product and filling those niche markets.

Kick ass potent booze isn't a niche market or shit high alcohol beer like hurricane wouldn't exist. Bang for buck will always be there.

Prohibition had slipped my mind completely! Absolutely that has been a huge factor in the drive to ever-stronger weed. And I don't recall any Prohibition stories where they are running cases of beer. The economics and legality demand biggest-bang-for-your-buck.

Artifacts from many ancient culture show that thousands of years ago mankind was smoking weed and it was a magical substance. No doubt those peoples bred weed in cruder but still effective ways. Too bad we can fire up the weed they find in those ancient burial chambers to see what that stuff smoked like! Well, we could, but it might be a little degraded. If fresh, it might be identical to some strains we smoke today...

Hi Undergrow, I think it's purely a matter of choice based on a person's make-up; some people, myself included, kinda go hard when they make certain choices. When I drank, I drank vodka and got blitzed. Now instead, I look for strong white widow to put me on my ass every evening. I guess I'm not a pot connoisseur when it comes to taste because I'd smoke it if it tasted like rope as long as it got me thoroughly stoned. Of course, having it not taste like rope is a real nice bonus.

And Clancy, I am on board with that, but I am sort of conceptualizing a different world. One that is post-Prohibition.

In that world you can have all the weed you want, whatever kind you want, whenever you want. It will be very affordable. So you will have no restrictions like today where every bit must be conserved and maximized. You and your neighbors will have backyards with huge plants.

In that world people might want to be able to enjoy smoking a big fat joint, and have the flavor and effect be more important than anything else. In that world I really wonder if people will enjoy the equivalent of beer or wine.

And Clancy in no way am I saying weak stuff tastes like rope! You can breed it for taste to make it taste better than the strong stuff.

Back
Top Bottom