Inaccuracies in strain information?

MJfarmer

Hi, I was on the barney's farm shop website today and found quite a few strains that claim to have won 1st or 2nd place at the Cannabis Cup:

Critical Kush
Malana Bomb
Amnesia Lemon
Dr Grinspoon

...there could be many more. After these four I just stopped looking.

I'm not able to find any of these strains as Cannabis Cup winners.

Does anyone understand what's going on here?

I have 10 lemon amnesia from barneys. They'll have to wait until next fall. By the time this grow is finished it will be too warm for me to start another crop.

Hi rifleman, I'm more concerned about the apparent misinformation being advertised on the barneys website. They seem to be bald-faced lying about which strains won Cannabis Cups.

It's been over a month with absolutely no response from either barneys, cannabiscupwinners, or even High Times magazine.

In the course of doing research on the Cannabis Cup, I've found a lot of people complaining about how it's run. With the lack of transparency I've seen from barneys, cannabiscupwinners, and High Times magazine, I think now is the perfect opportunity to start a new, much improved international marijuana competition. Marijuana is fast becoming legalized across the U.S. and other parts of the world. With the proliferation of strains on the market, it's clear why site's like leafly are popular, but it's not a substitute for a real competition.

I was watching this video:

where they talk about how the marijuana grower has a significant, if not the most significant, impact on the quality of their marijuana. Assuming that's true, if we don't take this into account, marijuana competitions would be pointless, as people would be mislead into believing that buying the seeds of the #1 winner would produce the same quality marijuana as the marijuana smoked by the judges in the competition. I have a few ideas on how we can resolve this:

- require the grower to grow in a designated grow lab, where all the competing strains will be exposed to the same controlled environment
- require the grower to fully video document the entire grow from seed to harvest and curation, including feeding, nutrition and lighting, schedule
- require the grower to pick their final submission buds from a multiple plants, to avoid only using one amazing plant that doesn't represent typical results for that strain

All these requirements would be fully enforceable if the growers are required to use a designated grow lab that is under the control of the competition organization.

Once the competition is complete, everyone would be able to buy the winning strains and use the documented grow techniques to closely match how they should grow their seeds.

Another big issue I found is transparency. Many people accuse Cannabis Cup of being heavily influenced by bribes from well funded seed banks that stand to make a lot of money if their seed wins. We would need to introduce a new level of transparency to help redeem marijuana competitions in the eyes of people that have lost hope in these competitions. We should routinely elect competition judges from the public, and publicly explain who the judges are for the current competition, and why they were selected. Judges should not be allowed to judge more than X times. All sources of funding would be documented, especially from private companies like seed banks. The leaders of the competition organization should be elected by its members.

Anyway, I bought some strains from another seed bank, can't wait to grow and smoke 'em :p

Back
Top Bottom