Indoor grow - Leaves yellowish since they sprouted - Pro Mix BX - Advice welcome

StraightEdge

Hello,

I'm currently candy cane auto. Plant is at 11 days since popping the surface. Growing in approx. 2.5gal of Pro Mix BX. The plant has had an odd color since it sprouted, and doesn't seem to be improving. It still has new growth, but the leaves seem to be taking on a yellow color near the tips. Anyone have any idea on how to rectify this?

I germinated it in paper towel, then planted it into the Pro Mix. I then watered the pro mix with approx. 1/2 gal of water. After about 2 days, it popped the surface. I waited until the first 1.5in were dry, then watered it again, which was about 5 days later since the first watering.

I'm having a tough time telling when to water, as the top 1-2 inches dries farily quick, while further down it seems moist, but not damp or soggy.

Is this lack of nitrogen? Over watered? Any advice/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

FullSizeRender410.jpg

What have you been feeding her and how much? As well, what does your ph read? Any info you can give would help diagnose this problem. Don't want to jump the gun and advise you wrong.

What have you been feeding her and how much? As well, what does your ph read? Any info you can give would help diagnose this problem. Don't want to jump the gun and advise you wrong.

Gave it like 1/8 dose of GH Micro and grow 3 days ago for the first time. Using bottled water but don't have a PH tester. The GH product I bought came with chemical test liquid, and the water was reading near 7 from what I can tell. The leaves have seemed dis colored since she popped. Thanks.

It's looking like early stages of nitrogen deficiency. Can you provide a newer pic since it got worse?

Yeah, this was taken this morning. It's Pro Mix, and the only nutes I added was like an 1/8th of the recommended feeding for seedlings. I didn't amend the pro mix with anything. Should I have been using nutes from the start? I keep finding conflicting answers. See below for picture
FullSizeRender510.jpg

You could go stronger on the nutes IMO. With there being so many feeding options available and everyone having a different opinion you will find conflicting info. Every strain and setup is deferent and will favour different feeding styles and strengths. The instructions on the bottle is a good starting point tho. Rule of thumb is to go half strength of what is recommend and with time you will learn to read you plants better and make adjustments to your nutes. It will take some experimenting. But just from what you told me and what I see, IMO I would feed her some more. What are the npk of your nutes and what is the recommend mixing ratio?

They are General Hydroponics 3 part. Micro, grow and bloom. Micro is 5-0-1, and grow is 2-1-6. Recommends 2mil micro, 1mil grow and 1mil bloom. Gave it about an 1/8th of that, with no bloom...

Good I can help you then. I run the same stuff so here's my advice. I just got some babes come up from seed a month back in pro mix. I started feeding them in about a week and a half after sprouting. I run 1ml/l of each micro grow bloom. I alternate between feeding and just plan water. Try this and watch them. New growth should be green and healthy. After a while you can bump up to stronger mixtures but let's start here first.

Hello,

I'm currently candy cane auto. Plant is at 11 days since popping the surface. Growing in approx. 2.5gal of Pro Mix BX. The plant has had an odd color since it sprouted, and doesn't seem to be improving. It still has new growth, but the leaves seem to be taking on a yellow color near the tips. Anyone have any idea on how to rectify this?

I germinated it in paper towel, then planted it into the Pro Mix. I then watered the pro mix with approx. 1/2 gal of water. After about 2 days, it popped the surface. I waited until the first 1.5in were dry, then watered it again, which was about 5 days later since the first watering.

I'm having a tough time telling when to water, as the top 1-2 inches dries farily quick, while further down it seems moist, but not damp or soggy.

Is this lack of nitrogen? Over watered? Any advice/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

FullSizeRender410.jpg

Hello!
Newbie here..but all of my reading suggests you are overwatering since you say that the soil further down stays moist. (I've learned a ton from Emylia on this board) Your bottom roots can't take in nutrients because they are saturated. Use the lift method before watering. (Also a cheap water meter helps and works! When inserted, watch the needle....it will show,where there is still moisture...when it changes from "moist" to "wet" that shows the depth where there is still ample moisture. Don't water until you can hit the last inch from the bottom and still be in the moist range as opposed to wet)
The soil moisture at 1-2 inches from the surface doesn't say much and you can't water based on that.

Like I said, I'm a newb and may have my head up my butt, but I'd say to dry your pots out to the bottom....then water till runoff...then wait until they are dry again....however long it takes.

I'm sure that one of the veterans here will jump in though! (But in the meantime, I thought I'd share my amature opinion)
Take care!

Back
Top Bottom