Inmate Refused Medicinal Pot

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
An inmate at Regina's jail says Ottawa has given him permission to use medicinal pot to combat chronic pain -- but the Saskatchewan government won't let him smoke pot behind bars.

Dean Samborski, 52, said he has a licence from Health Canada to smoke medicinal marijuana. However, while serving time in the Regina Provincial Correctional Centre for theft under $5,000, he has not been allowed to use marijuana.

"They say it is an illegal drug or substance. But I've been OK'd to smoke it, so why is it illegal?" asked Samborski.

He said he needs marijuana for pain management for injuries he suffered in a motorcycle accident in 1976. Instead of marijuana, he has been given Tylenol, Motrin and anti-inflammatories -- but they doesn't provide relief for the pain, he said.

"On my left side, I'm hemiparaplegic and my left knee hyperextends so my left knee hurts from walking. On my back, I've got a bad lower back because it twisted in the accident. I'm always in pain and they won't give me nothing for it," he said.

Samborski was issued the licence for medicinal marijuana in August by Health Canada.

The Saskatchewan Ministry of Corrections has confirmed Samborski has a pot licence.

Ministry spokeswoman Judy Orthner said the ministry does not have a policy against the use of medicinal marijuana in correctional facilities but follows the guidelines set out by the Saskatchewan Medical Association, which recommends physicians not participate in the dispensing of marijuana.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Province, The (CN BC)
Copyright: 2008 Canwest Publishing Inc.

Back
Top Bottom