Is it worth it?

Anthony Suszko

I have some questions as to splitting time between outdoor and indoor LED to get my daily 18/6?
I'm Growing in the Northern Suburbs of Illinois outside of Chicago, (Bartlett, Streamwood, Hanover Park) area to nail it down Accu Weather Forecast wise. Maybe 2 or three days out of the week I'm getting consistent bright sunny days where i feel I'm getting some real benefit from lugging my plants up the stairs from the basement LED grow booth outside to get juiced up on real sun light.. It's only 3 plants so I feel its worth the effort if it's helping to increase size and yield potential. Is it worth it to haul them up to the outside on cloudy overcast pissy sunlight days? Is the only benefit from these overcast days an acclimation routine so they get the feel of being outdoor specimens? How much does it matter in veg phase as opposed to just exposing them to real sunlight in the flowering phase?
I'm doing this partial outdoor grow because past folklore -police raids on hidden fields around this area showed massive Christmas Tree like grows being chopped down by the cops in the fall..so I like the outdoor size potential of these plants grown in here in IL.

4Week1.png4Week2.png
@ 4weeks, plan is to go at least 8 wks in Veg to get max potential out of outdoor sunlight.
On this corner of the house they get early full on bright sunlight for 8 hours then down
to the basement for 10 hours of LED.

" Marijuana plants are seen in Chicago where officers say they discovered two football fields worth of pot plants growing on the city's South Side. Authorities say about 1,500 cannabis plants were discovered during a routine patrol by a police helicopter. Officers spotted the crop under a canopy of trees about 3 miles from their own hangar. Some were as tall as Christmas Trees. Police said the growers could have earned as much as $10 million."
[ Link to photos LOL] Cops find $10M pot field in Chicago :rofl:

I think if I had a control plant this season for comparison I could leave to the elements id solve the question... The Plan is to switch to hydro for next seasons grow along with planting 10 outdoor plants started in DWC, and running the LED booth downstairs for indoor Hydro boutique specimen plants.. Electricity bill only jumped up about $12.00 more a month so I'm good with that.. I wanted to split time not because of $ cost savings or being poor, but to take advantage of real warm sun light added to my grow and have been doing this since 1 week old seedling experiment. It's more about getting both types of light into the plant and outdoor warm sunlight may benefit vitamin uptake and flavor profile, things that LED may not provide being a cool source. I really like the size of these plants @ 4 weeks... cant wait to see them at 8wks.. but I think I'm leaving them downstairs for the 12/12 flowering stage depending on size. They may be too tall to lug up and down stairs at that point. Not all places/ zones are great for outdoor growing either so I also want to see how my 1 acre partially wooded backyard stacks up in that area.. Could be just right for growing Christmas Tree sized Sativa.

Might as well keep going — the exercise isn’t going to kill you, LOL
I think I should have gone with a lighter soil mix, Those Fing pots are heavy now.. But If it's one thing I am is dedicated to see projects through, I think I got it in me to do another 4 weeks of this easy no problem lol..... You know, You are 100% right about the exercise thing not killing me.. but you should hear my bones creaking when I get up in the morning oi.. :rofl:

I think I should have gone with a lighter soil mix, Those Fing pots are heavy now.. But If it's one thing I am is dedicated to see projects through, I think I got it in me to do another 4 weeks of this easy no problem lol..... You know, You are 100% right about the exercise thing not killing me.. but you should hear my bones creaking when I get up in the morning oi.. :rofl:
They look good though so why mess with success?

They look good though so why mess with success?
Yeah I think I got it nailed down.. Light, water and food-soil all seem to be fine.. These plants never drooped or showed one bit of stress even through head chops and transplanting to larger pots.. I'm very pleased with their growth rate. Sensi seeds growth description says they will have doubled in size once out of Veg to final size at harvest.. so that sounds cool to me, and the extra effort will make me happy because as they say, size does matter lol :laugh: ..

Back
Top Bottom