Is marijuana addiction passed on through genetics?

H

hstisgod

Embarrasingly Ill admit when I was a child of six maybe seven years old I would ultimately give my parents a guilt trip (yes even that early) for smoking marijuana. It wasnt too much longer that I smoked my first joints with my parents however. Although in my case Marijuana being used around me at such a young age was the majority contributor, my blood father was a wake n bake type of smoker till his early 30's.

Does someone know of any articles or just information explaining the effects marijuana has on genetics and bloodlines?

I highly doubt that an addiction to bud is a geneticly passed down but being around it at such a young age probably had an effect on you. I used to wonder the same thing cause in my family almost everyone smokes and like you I was exposed to it (not smoking) as far back as I can remember.

:hmmmm: marijuana smoking is not passed on by genetics people ....C'mon and get a grip on the situation here .......I quit when I was 16 and started again when I was 37 ....nobody in my family ever smoked pot but me ....and that site posted propagates most of the marijuana miths created by our own government ........Geez .....have we at this site been overrun by anti maryjane peeps or what ?? :peace:

alcohol

Alcoholism can be passed down through the genetis chain.POt is a mental addiction. Studies have show that the brain has interceptors that take the drug Thc an distrbute it to where you have pain mmmmmaking it one of the most potent herbal medications. just food for thought. :peace:

jeeper said:
:hmmmm: marijuana smoking is not passed on by genetics people ....C'mon and get a grip on the situation here .......I quit when I was 16 and started again when I was 37 ....nobody in my family ever smoked pot but me ....and that site posted propagates most of the marijuana miths created by our own government ........Geez .....have we at this site been overrun by anti maryjane peeps or what ?? :peace:

Jeeper please relax... its called a conversation piece...I thought thats what this message board was for...I dont blame ANYONE for my marijuana addiction but me myself and I...Not to say marijuana is bad..But liek so many times before its been said... nothing exceeds like excess...

Either way you've certainly answered my question as to wether Ill be given a warm reception every time I come in here AFTER I drop the habit.

Brian

KingPhilie said:
personaly i wouldnt quite know why? well lets get some background on me, iam 18 and have a 22 yr old sister, and live with both my parents moms is 50 dad will be 50 in 6 or 7 days, my mom has smoked since she was around 18 or 19 (pot only) my dad has smoked off and on since he was 16 (tobaccoo or weed) none the less both were heavy pot smokers up untill me an my sister were old enough to know what it was, my sister is completly straight edge, hardly EVER drinks, n has told my parents a few times to put me in Rehab (hasnt happend yet :allgood: ) where as we have me, ive been smoken fairly heavily for around 4 years now, so yeah you can have SOME kind of genetic linking but its not guaranteed since i obviously have my sister. BTW for you younger folk, i sat my sis down after the 3rd time she told my rents to take me to Rehab and i told her about pot why i use it and why i wont stop n why she shouldnt force me, ever since she has layed off me, some of you might could do the same for your rents, but i will admit it takes balls to do.PEACE.

Good for you... non smokers just see it as a weakness or a drug on the same plane as cocaine or X... they cant seem to grasp the harmlessness of it... anyways..thanks for youre retort.

euphoricpa said:
'

thanks it does... yo jeepers ...even though I still disagree..it indeed does say "Marijuana abuse is associated with several factors. These include: · family influence, such as drug abuse in one or both parents · genetic factors, which may make a person more prone to addiction · psychiatric disorders · social factors, such as exposure to situations "

I dont wanna get into an argument about this... like i said it was a conversational piece I wanted to see what everyone elses take is on it.. Jeepers you ofcourse are entitled to youre opinion ...

BRian

LostinPurity said:
I highly doubt that an addiction to bud is a geneticly passed down but being around it at such a young age probably had an effect on you. I used to wonder the same thing cause in my family almost everyone smokes and like you I was exposed to it (not smoking) as far back as I can remember.

Youre probaly right it was more about the atmospheric exposure than any genetic exposure... but like i said earlier... I dont blame ANYONE but myself...

Marijuana addiction is a mental addiction and its not even a very strong withdrawl effects like alcohol, heroin, or cocaine. No one in my family really smoked it except my mom when she was in high school and some of college. Im the only person in my family tree that smokes weed on a regular basis. Marijuana's only bad side effect is how it makes you less capable of driving a car or operating heavy machinery. Honestly dude, if you think you smoke in "excess", then get control of it and cut back on your smoking. Ive been addicted to cigarettes since I was 16 but Ive been smokin bud reguarlary since about 14 and Ive kept a pretty good handle on it. Cigarettes are a different story though. I cant get through a day without at least 6 cigs.

hstisgod said:
'

thanks it does... yo jeepers ...even though I still disagree..it indeed does say "Marijuana abuse is associated with several factors. These include: · family influence, such as drug abuse in one or both parents · genetic factors, which may make a person more prone to addiction · psychiatric disorders · social factors, such as exposure to situations "

I dont wanna get into an argument about this... like i said it was a conversational piece I wanted to see what everyone elses take is on it.. Jeepers you ofcourse are entitled to youre opinion ...

BRian
I don't wanna argu either .....in my situation ......there is no family influance, mom and dad never did drugs at all ....i didn't hang around with a 'bad crowd' at all ........no mental problems in the family ........I'm just saying that you can't believe all the crap that our government has spread around about the bud .......And why would my opinion tell you about how people will treat you on this site ? it's just my opinion anyway .....I just don't want you to buy into those non truth facts (lies) that are spread around the bud :peace:

jeeper said:
I don't wanna argu either .....in my situation ......there is no family influance, mom and dad never did drugs at all ....i didn't hang around with a 'bad crowd' at all ........no mental problems in the family ........I'm just saying that you can't believe all the crap that our government has spread around about the bud .......And why would my opinion tell you about how people will treat you on this site ? it's just my opinion anyway .....I just don't want you to buy into those non truth facts (lies) that are spread around the bud :peace:

Fair enough...No Like I said before..Im not believing or discarding anything in particular it... was... merely a conversational piece... thought it was a dope thread lead... and a great thing for us to toss around for a while ...so is this...

OK, like it's been said, I think it's just the atmosphere...
Genetics has been shown to make people more prone to addiction, psychological and physical... but that's not specific to anything... plus i know kids that can do coke all the time and not even think about it for a month, and some kids that after the first rail, can't let it go...
I use the coke example because most would agree that it is both pyschologically and physically addicting...
For the record i don't do coke... Sorry if the example was innapropriate (sp, i know there is a "p" in there somewhere, and that extra "n" doesnt belong, but fuck too lazy) for the site...

"loss of ambition or inability to carry out long-term plans or function effectively"

Damn I got that one.... well I think I used to be like this even b4 being a pothead... it's just worse now lol...

This is a good thread, and I have pondered this same question myself. My father is a big smoker, and when I got to be around 11 or 12, I thought it was just something that all men did, so I tried it and have been smoking ever since. I think it does have something to do with the addiction, just like alchoholism and nicotine addiction.

Isnt marijuana not physically adictive anywase? only physically adictive substances, like nicotine, opiates, cocain, and other things along that line can only be passed through pregnacie, i dont think any addiction what so ever can be passed through the father because the physical condition of the addiction is what causes crack babies and the baby isnt tied to the dad. I could be wrong but this is how i always understood it to be.

Marijuana addiction itself isnt genetically passed. The addictive personality(or how easily a person becomes addicted to something)trait itself can be genetically passed down i suppose. People who get addicted to Marijuana tend to get addicted easily to other stuff to, not just phycoactives, like emotional attatchments or finding a food they like & eating that food for a month straight lol.

Back
Top Bottom