Is my soil too wet?

kayciweed

So, i have one Durban Poison as a seedling and it is now two weeks old, and another Northern Lights which is only a few days old.

I bought a moisture meter and from day 1 it says the soil is wet. This is the case even after the top inch or two is dry.

I used 1/3 Peat Moss, Vermiculite and Soil.

Should i try and let it dry completely or should i change soil?

I generally spray a little everyday and give a proper watering every 3 days.

Please note, these photos taken in late afternoon when her leaves start to go the opposite way to sleep.

Attachments

• 20191115_175806.jpg
    20191115_175806.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20191115_175753.jpg
    20191115_175753.jpg
    809.1 KB · Views: 96
It's good to have a wet/dry cycle in soil, learn the dry weight of your pots and water accordingly, you will then develop a watering cycle for each plant. Check out @Emilya thread on how to water a potted plant in soil.

Here's the link.

Happy growing!

If it's taking the soil too long to dry, water less. :)

The roots have a way of taking up what they need, so if you find that the soil is remaining wet, you're simply giving them too much.

You can cut back on the vermiculite when you uppot, or you can learn to work with it. It will work either way, but it's more important to fit it with your style.

Ok first- disregard the moisture meter for now. That type are notoriously unreliable. Consider it useless until proven otherwise.

Vermiculite tends to hold a lot of moisture and I don’t see it recommended much for soil mixes

As CanuckKush said- learn the dry weight of your containers. Try filling up a container of dry potting mix, the same size as the one your plant is in. Lift them by hand and compare them. This is the best way to tell what is going on with the moisture level, IMO.

My guess from you your description is that you’re watering too often. But having said that- the plant is still alive and reasonably healthy looking still- so your options are open.

it says the soil is wet. This is the case even after the top inch or two is dry.
The soil often is wet down below the first inch. As said- weight is a better judge

Should i try and let it dry completely or should i change soil?

Yes.

And -No to the second.

Back
Top Bottom