Is this too much or not enough?

tonythc

Saturday I put 15gals.of rain water to the ladies.Well, Sunday I checked them later in the day and 1 branch coming off the main stalk looked like it was dying,I mean it was wilted bad!It was the only one that looked this way everything else looked great.These plants fairly large about 7' tall and 6 1/2' in diameter.So,I asked my stepson to take a look and first thing out his mouth was they are too dry!I told I had just watered them the day before and It couldnt be dry.After standing around for about an hour and 3 or 4 cold beer I decided to dig out my moisture meter.Turned it on stuck it right down beside the main stalk and sure enough it was 0.0 that being the lowest for needing water.I just couldnt wrap my head around it still needing water!I thought surely my meter was not working correctly so I ran the water on one spot in the yard and checked that and it read 6.5.By this time Im sweating bullets because my ladies are dieing in my head.Went back and checked them again still 0.0 Im like there is no way they could be that dry already!I decided what the heck and run the soaker hose for about 2 hours went back and you couldnt tell which branch was wilted!So, is this normal this time of year for them to need this much water?We have had some really hot dry days here.Sorry for rambling on.
DSCF3511_-_Copy.JPG

DSCF3512_-_Copy.JPG
DSCF3509_-_Copy.JPG

Hot, dry, windy weather will cause your plants to go through A LOT of water, especially when they get that big. I have one in a 10 gallon grow bag that is only half the size of yours that will go through 5-10 gallons of water a day when its hot and windy here.

Hot, dry, windy weather will cause your plants to go through A LOT of water, especially when they get that big. I have one in a 10 gallon grow bag that is only half the size of yours that will go through 5-10 gallons of water a day when its hot and windy here.

That combined with, what looks like, sandy soil. And it's a recipe for having to water everyday. I would give it 10-15 every morning if I were you. Maybe more. Those plants are beautiful though! Congrats. :thumb:

Forgot to add in its been windy also so all this makes perfectly good sense to me know.Thank you for easing my mind I will be able to sleep now.lol

That combined with, what looks like, sandy soil. And it's a recipe for having to water everyday. I would give it 10-15 every morning if I were you. Maybe more. Those plants are beautiful though! Congrats. :thumb:

Yes sir,we have what they call a sandy loam(think thats the correct spelling) and living on high ground.You can watch the water absorb right into the soil.It doesnt start to stand in low areas until after a lot of rain.Well, I know what I need to do now is water a lot more.Thanks for the kind words

What kind of moisture meter are you using and do you like it? I could use a decent one for my outside stuff. The one I have right now only reads ++,+,-,or-- ....kind of worthless.

What kind of moisture meter are you using and do you like it? I could use a decent one for my outside stuff. The one I have right now only reads ++,+,-,or-- ....kind of worthless.

I picked up this digital meter at walmart for $8.00.Push the button and stick it all the way down in the dirt.I t will give a reading of 0.0 thru 9.9 with 0.0 being the driest.I go by the tomato watering chart that come with it.I water at 2.5

Back
Top Bottom