Is this too much water, light or something else

Makeminefullgrown

Hello all, I’m wondering what’s up with this young Auto. It’s a Triple X auto from Homegrown Cannabis co.
I started in a solo cup and transplanted into a 2.5gal plastic pot. Currently it’s day 28 since it sprouted.
I’m using Happy Frog amended with Gaia Green 4-4-4, Bat guano, kelp meal and powdered myco.
Growing under a HLG 320 r-spec LED, running at about 80% intensity and 24-25” above the plant tips.
My temps are 79-81 and RH in the mid 60’s.
When I initially transplanted it grew nicely and showed no signs of wanting for anything. Then I decided to do a small amount of LST…and since then (for the past 8-9 days) the new growth looks odd.
For starters, the color is a very lime green that almost glows in the dark.
Plus, the new growth is very small, skinny and the leaves clearly need something….or have too much of something. They are shaped funny, curl down some and are just sad looking little leaves.
I was thinking it could be too much water for the size of the roots. I did soak it good last time but it’s been like 6 days and the bottom half of the pot is still kinda wet. I’m not sure the roots have made it that far down though.
The top 3” is quite dry and it’s been tempting to water but I figured the entire medium needed to dry out before giving anymore water.
It looks better in the pic than in real life…..
One more thing…..AFTER I LST’d her I found some info on the breeder’s site and they recommended no training or topping with this strain.
I can tell she’s kicking off some pre flowers and I was really hoping I could get some decent growth out of her before she’s in full blown budding stage.
What should I do???

6B6CAC98-A20A-4294-907E-7F1B2FA31ABB.jpeg
9AA5F27D-F1C9-40D6-BCF8-87FE3CEAF84B.jpeg
64C5AA95-F208-499C-9464-1F5EBBDAC5DE.jpeg

looking good MMFG

yep it’s gonna take a while for 2.5 gallons of soil to dry out…. elevate bucket on a grate & blow air underneath it.

(get the fat ones) bamboo bbq skewers make great dipstick but it’s imperative that a dipstick hits bottom of container…. let it sit for an hour in soil and then when you remove dipstick there will be visible water line and you can feel the moisture in the wood with your fingers

new growth does come in with lighter shade of green…. I don’t grow autos but looks like it might be more than just pre-flowers.

was that a homemade flower bucket?
drill more holes in bottom
dehum might help pull moisture out

beyond ^ nothing to do but wait it out….

New leaves always are a lighter color and darken with age, however, the leaves on your plant are extremely dark green, and possibly some nute burn, looking like nitrogen clawing, too much N. Cut back on the N a little.
How can I cut back on nitrogen when it’s already amending the soil?
Is there any course Of action I can take other than waiting for the soil to dry out some and then giving plain water??
My pot has drainage/air holes all along the bottom sides….probably too many. But I checked and it’s been 12 days since I watered and the bottom half is still registering “wet” on my meter. I don’t really go by the meter 100%, but in this case it’s correct and the pot is still rather heavy.

Probably roots starving for oxygen if that soil in a tiny little pot is still wet after 12 days.
I had a little spot in my grow area, AKA a bathtub that I decided to put a small filled to the brim 3 gallon fabric pot in just to try to maximize my yield on my last grow.
By the time the plant was 5 weeks old I had to start watering it twice a day.
Last 3 weeks of flower I gave it water everytime I walked in to the room which was several times a day.

Your roots are probably suffocating.
Or possibly soil going anaerobic.

If you get close and smell the soil do you smell a slight whiff of ammonia or rotten eggs, sulfur etc?

I agree with what the others have said here, and I think you should transfer to a standard black plastic 5 gal nursery pot. Add some more myco in the hole when you up pot. It may be a good idea to modify your soil mix... consider adding some greensand and possibly dolomite, and a substantial amount of coco coir (high quality, washed). Also add worm castings if you can get. The coir will help the water permeate throughout, drain better, and also buffer (absorb/release) water. The roots are guaranteed to be happier. :)

Back
Top Bottom