Issues w/ first try at cloning.

Coolthanksbye

I am currently on day 64 of my first grow from seeds germinated on Halloween.
First grow - Sea of Green style

Two weeks ago after they first showed sex, I took my first set of clippings, dipped them in cloning gel, placed them in soaked rockwool cubes under (18/6) flourescents. When I was gone for New Year's the rockwool cubes dried up and I came home to shriveled, dying clippings. When I checked the base, there was no root development- the spot where I clipped was just sealed over. Am I too late into this grow to try to take another set of clippings? I just don't want to start over from seeds again to prevent uneven growth. Is there anything else I can do?

Takes about two weeks to root and you really should use a humidity dome for better results. Its not to late to clone. If you leave the bud as the head of the clipping you will have extensive laterals but because of the flowering it will take longer for the clone to grow.

I just took and rooted a clone at 45 days into flower ( I really wanted to keep the genetics). It took forever to root (3 weeks) but finally did and has started pushing out new vegative growth. Technically it's never too late to clone (unlesws you've already harvested) but the further into flower you are, the longer (and harder) it takes to root. I myself have never used a dome to clone. In the summer I clone using a cup of water sitting on the window sill. No hormones, just water. To block light to the roots I use a AOL CD and run the stem through the hole. Change the water twice a week but let it run low too. It's the need to search for water that encourages root growth. In the winter I use rockwool in my clone box. I have lifetime success rate of about 99%. Very seldom do I lose a clone. Some people fight to clone. Some, like me, never have a problem and cloning seems to come easily.

Racefan said:
I just took and rooted a clone at 45 days into flower ( I really wanted to keep the genetics). It took forever to root (3 weeks) but finally did and has started pushing out new vegative growth. Technically it's never too late to clone (unlesws you've already harvested) but the further into flower you are, the longer (and harder) it takes to root. I myself have never used a dome to clone. In the summer I clone using a cup of water sitting on the window sill. No hormones, just water. To block light to the roots I use a AOL CD and run the stem through the hole. Change the water twice a week but let it run low too. It's the need to search for water that encourages root growth. In the winter I use rockwool in my clone box. I have lifetime success rate of about 99%. Very seldom do I lose a clone. Some people fight to clone. Some, like me, never have a problem and cloning seems to come easily.

^ racefan... you think it'd be possible to take a clone like a week before harvest?

^^ did the harvest day clone once just to see what would happen. Stuck it in a cup of water and forgot about it for a month.. finally checked on it and the little bugger had roots...

I was the funniest looking thing - like a pom-pom with roots, because I had already trimmed it when I changed my mind and decided to try cloning it... lol..

My success rate is somewhere in the 75% range normally no matter what method I try, and they take forever to root... sigh.. :hmmmm:

Peace
MC

so you left the bud on there? "pom-pom with roots?"

ha ha..... yeah - it was the cola of a very small clone that had flowered outside. I had forgotten about it out there until a couple of freezes and a snow had past. When I brought it inside to cut down, I discovered it was still alive after all that. After I trimmed it, and cut the cola off to hang, I changed my mind and decided to try cloning it just to see what would happen.

The whole plant was only 8" tall - so the cola bud that rooted was about the size of a kiwi fruit.

Other cool thing to note was the lower half of the plant I was able to re-veg and make into a mother after an aggressive root trimming and re-potting into fresh soil (which was super cool, 'cause the seeds for the strain are not available anymore)

I'm learning how incredibly tough our favorite plant really is........

Peace
MC

Thanks to everyone for their input - I think I'm gonna try to take some clippings tonite and see what happens. This time I'll use a humidity dome too.

Back
Top Bottom