Leaf discoloring

steve1

420 Member
Maybe someone can help. These plants are 8 weeks into flowering, I feed them twice a week with Foxfarm trio. I don’t see any bugs. I know there will be some yellowing of leaves during flowering but what does this mean. It started with one plant. Now one other is showing signs of yellowing leaves. Should I keep feeding them or start to flush? The trichomes are still very clear. I’m concerned about the brown spots on one of the plants

Attachments

• 6E978F7A-B4AA-4D00-B024-F0D6C56F9AA4.jpeg
    6E978F7A-B4AA-4D00-B024-F0D6C56F9AA4.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 9E6B1233-7B2C-414F-818A-F5E4DDDC11D9.jpeg
    9E6B1233-7B2C-414F-818A-F5E4DDDC11D9.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 1CF00969-1AAD-4022-99BF-7E60821B0BF2.jpeg
    1CF00969-1AAD-4022-99BF-7E60821B0BF2.jpeg
    635.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 4E3DCBA2-C054-4A1A-B95C-E18CFC72F9BF.jpeg
    4E3DCBA2-C054-4A1A-B95C-E18CFC72F9BF.jpeg
    714.2 KB · Views: 77
It looks like a potassium deficiency across all of your plants. Potassium is used for overall vigor, as well as the development of flowers, buds, and seeds. This probably explains the clear trichomes as well as the spots and yellowing of the leaves.

What can I use to correct this or is it too late in flowering to worry about it?

I've not used Fox Farm products. I'd look at what you have and boost the one with the highest potassium by 50% for a feed or two, then drop back to 125% of what you are currently using. You may need to drop the other components to compensate. Correcting this may show other problems that are currently hidden.

Hi @steve1 and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
I used to run FF nutes and soil, and finally figured out how not to get to where you are at right now. I will give you some scenarios based on that experience, and I suspect we will hit on the reasons for your present difficulties.
I found that by mid flower it was very important to start adjusting my pH to 6.2 This eliminated a late season molybdenum deficiency that I kept being plagued with. You didn't mention your soil, so if you don't have the fast drifting FF Ocean Forest, then this may not be your problem... but usually people who stick with 6.5 pH all through the grow will have problems near the end.
I found that calmag was a very important supplement to have handy, and while some plants never needed it, those that did could get very ugly.
The other thing common with growers is to think that they know enough about the science behind the FF nutes that they can adjust the suggested dosages and mixture based on the week of the grow. Those who do not follow the FF mixing directions oftentimes have problems, and I became a big believer in following their directions to the letter.

Speaking of that, I fail to see anywhere in their instructions to starve the plants at the end. If this is what you meant by starting to flush, then shame on you, you have bought into the bro science of the day.

But, the main point I want to bring up here for your consideration is to ask if you have ever done a proper flush on these plants?? According to the grow schedule suggested by FF, you should have done a proper 3x the soil volume flush at least a couple times by now, and by doing so I believe that you would not be looking at what you are looking at right now. I am convinced that you are experiencing a classic salt lockout of all nutes. It is no wonder that your leaves are showing the signs of deficiencies of several kinds if you forgot this very important step in a heavy synthetic nute grow.

First thing is I appreciate the advice. That the most that anyone has given. This is the first time I’ve had plants get to this point. Went into this totally ignorant on the subject but I’m learning something new every day. I didn’t even know about the feeding schedule until 6 weeks or so into the grow. I didn’t know that you can flip them into flowering when you want to. I do use the Ocean Forest soil. And no, according to the schedule, I haven’t done the flushes as the schedule dictates. I feel fairly confident that my next grow will be better than this one. I realize the problems that I’m having is due to my ignorance on the subject. Do you use the nutrients at the strengths directed or do you have a different combination you can share?

Do you use the nutrients at the strengths directed or do you have a different combination you can share?
Until I find someone who knows the formulation of the FF nutes as well as they do, and they can show me a track record proving that they have a better way, I choose to follow the instructions given by the scientists at FF. They have no incentive to steer you wrong, and every incentive for you to have a very successful grow. My advice is to follow that feeding schedule to the letter. If you want to supercharge your grow beyond what is possible there, also purchase the soluble trio, as this will supply even more of the micro nutrients that our plants need to excel.

Back
Top Bottom