Legalize Prostitution And Marijuana

Cozmo

Imagine two people get together to do what adults sometimes do when they're alone together.

They're responsible people. They take all the appropriate precautions to avoid negative repercussions of their actions.

When they're about to part ways, cops bust down the door, slam the couple to the ground, handcuff them and cart them away to jail. Their crime? Having consensual sex.

Or try this one on for size:

A couple of friends, over 21, get together, put Pink Floyd's "The Wall" on iTunes, crack open a case of Budweiser or Coors, sit back and get a little drunk. It's OK, though, because none of them plans to leave tonight. They're all going to crash here and listen to some more good tunes later. Just in the middle of "Is There Anybody Out There?" cops bust down the door and arrest everyone, confiscating the beer, the stereo and any cash the guys have on them. The crime? Possession of alcohol with the intent to distribute.

Sounds stupid, doesn't it? Outrageous, even. How dare the government arrest two people for having consensual sex, or for enjoying an intoxicating beverage in the privacy of their own home?

It goes against everything America stands for, if you think about it. The whole idea behind the Bill of Rights, after all, was to keep the government out of our private lives, out of the things we do behind closed doors, as long as they don't infringe on other people's rights.

But take it one step further and that's exactly what this country's doing.
In the first scenario, if the two exchange money, we arrest them both and throw them in jail.

In the second scenario, if they are smoking marijuana instead of drinking beer, we lock them up.

Now, think about it for a second. Two adults have sex in the privacy of a motel room or something. They've both agreed that they want to have sex with each other. They went to a private place.

The only difference between them and any other couple is that one of them will give money to the other one. And as far as the law is concerned, that's a crime. It's one of the oldest transactions in history. The early Christian church supported and in some cases even institutionalized prostitution until the sixteenth century, when puritanicalism started taking hold.

In England, Australia, Greece, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, Brazil, Costa Rica, Sweden, Norway, Turkey, New Zealand, Rhode Island and some places in Nevada, prostitution in one form or another is legal with some restrictions.

Most who oppose prostitution do so on moral grounds, but those moral grounds are really pretty slippery. It's fairly difficult to justify consensual sex being legal and then somehow say the exchange of money for the same thing that was happening for free makes the act illegal.

Keeping prostitution illegal empowers those who oppress prostitutes to do so with relative impunity.

When prostitution is legal and regulated, prostitutes can have health insurance, retirement benefits and, most importantly, they can have a way to legally complain if they're mistreated. Currently, if someone mistreats a prostitute, the prostitute can't very well go to the police and complain about it, so by the very fact that it's illegal, the law empowers people to abuse prostitutes.

Legalized and regulated prostitution also would immediately put pimps out of business, because if a prostitute has protection of the law, she doesn't need some guy in a big, fuzzy hat doing the protecting for her.
In addition, because of legal regulation, Nevada's legal prostitution has never resulted in even one case of HIV, which is one argument people use to say prostitution should remain illegal.

Every argument put forth to keep prostitution illegal can easily be shot down using one phrase: it's legal as long as it's free.

It seems to me the only reason to keep prostitution illegal is to prevent people from making money doing something they enjoy doing for free.
And what about marijuana? Well, it's kind of hard to justify alcohol being legal while marijuana isn't. Try this for a fun experiment. Go to a coroner and ask how many people have ever had "marijuana poisoning" listed as a cause of death. Then ask how many had "alcohol poisoning" listed.

Alcohol is an amazingly toxic substance that also happens to get people drunk. Marijuana certainly doesn't intoxicate anyone more than alcohol does, yet it is – rather inexplicably – illegal. Arbitrarily illegal, one might say.

The argument most often put forth against legalizing marijuana is that it's a "gateway drug" that leads its users to do harder drugs.

It's an illogical argument, actually. I've known quite a few marijuana users in my day, and I can't think of a single one who smoked marijuana before trying alcohol. I've known a few "hard drug" users in my day, too, and I know quite a few who tried "hard drugs" without ever having smoked marijuana, but none who did "hard drugs" without first having done alcohol.

I've also known quite a few marijuana users who never went on to do "hard drugs." It seems to me in my informal polling of people I've known that 100 percent of "hard drug" users are also alcohol users, while only around half of "hard drug" users are also marijuana users.

If there's any "gateway drug," surely it's alcohol, not marijuana.
According to DrugWatch International, "Alcohol and tobacco kill more people annually than all other drugs combined. Alcohol alone is associated with at least one-fourth of all hospital visits in the United States. Nicotine is one of the most addictive and harmful of all drugs."

Every argument put forth to keep marijuana illegal can easily be shot down using two words: alcohol and tobacco. As long as they're legal, there's no reason to keep marijuana illegal except to continue to fill jails with nonviolent people who otherwise would be paying taxes and being productive members of society.

So why do I bring all this up? Because our society is sick. Seriously. We care so much about what people do in the privacy of their own homes that we invade their most private moments and arrest them for behavior that isn't hurting anyone and really isn't our business.

Who does it help when we jail people for those "crimes"? Society? No. It just adds a burden on society to support people in jail who were supporting themselves before we intruded on their private lives. Instead, it makes us feel better for being a "moral" society, when the reality is the exact opposite.

Finally, I know people reading this will go, "this guy. He just wants to go find a hooker while he's taking a monster bong hit."
Because it's easier for them to say that than consider the merits of the argument.

Source: The Meadville Tribune
Author: Leif M. Wright
Copyright: 1999-2006 cnhi, inc.

I have a difficult time believing stories about cops busting down doors for no reason. Does anyone know if the chick in question was a known prostitute or not? They "were" in a motel room, not at home so I question it. In all my years of toking and drinking I've never had a party out of a motel room. Not that I'm a party pooper, my home was just always a better set and setting which is rule #III for Dunlap. Was the guy wanted for some other serious crime? The bigger part of this story is missing. Stoners must really stop comparing how damaging or less damaging MJ is to alcohol. They are two completely different drugs and can't be compared. I don't know why people say things like "Well MJ is way less bad for me than alcohol." What they actually end up saying is "MJ is bad for me." Say something meaningful like "I like MJ. It works for me. I smoke it responsibly. I also like to drink and do that responsibly, too." I like the rules of cannabis consumption in Dunlap's signature line and they hold true for alcohol as well. I agree that busting people for MJ and or having sex (if that's even possible) would be wrong but I don't believe that's what really happened here. When you hear something that sounds absurd, it probably is. Ask yourself if it makes any sense or not. They don't bust prostitutes for having sex. They bust them for dragging down a neighborhood and spreading diseases to idiot husbands that just want a quick hummer on the way home and then give that shit to their wife. Prostitution could be cleaned up a lot by making legal districts for it but even then there's the EWWWW factor. Guys, you simply are not going to find attractive whores in a legal brothel and how could you ever get your dick up for that trash? Don't you guys realize how easy it is to get laid without paying a whore for it? Chicks want sex just as much as you do, if not more. They just don't want you to bullshit them in the process (ok..some of them do want you to lie and tell them they're hot when they're not). Drug dealing from the street is also a problem and can't be denied. It brings with it other crimes that are far worse than the impact of the drugs themselves. These are the very reasons I agree with legalizing prostitution and drugs, simply to minimize their negative impacts on society. Legalizing ALL drugs would put an end to prison overcrowding and stop costing tax payers $billions. People caught up in the hard drugs don't need prison, they need help. They certainly don't get help when thrown into prison with murderers and rapists. The federal government learned their lesson the hard way during prohibition and should rethink their attitudes towards drugs/prostitution. Getting drugs should be as simple as going to a dispensary and buying a taxed product "OR" growing your own. Those taxes could go towards helping people that would've ended up in a prison cell. It all makes sense to me.

First of all, thanks for the sig nod. They're actually NORML's "Rules for Responsible Marijuana Use", but somehow the link to that got deleted, I'm just now noticing. I'll have to go fix that. But yeah, I really like them, and I think if everybody followed them, stoners would have a much more positive reputation. That said...

Prostitution is one of those things that, just like drugs, is really only a bad thing when it's kept illegal.

You say it brings down neighborhoods, I say it wouldn't if there were legal, regulated, brothels in designated locations (just like you can't have a bar in certain place, the same should apply to whorehouses).

You say it spreads disease. I say it wouldn't if the industry was regulated with mandatory STD testing.

The "EWWWW" factor and lack of attractive prostitutes are personal opinion, and I don't think I need to state that those things shouldn't be used for a legal basis.

You say prostitution wouldn't produce better citizens, I say it's illegal currently and we're still producing shit quality citizens.

I just have a problem with any law that doesn't have a victim. Speeding, Drugs, Prostitution, etc. By all means, if somebody does kill somebody because they were going too fast, somebody does go rob somebody to feed their drug habit, or some hooker does knowingly spread a disease just to make her money, then I'm behind locking those people up 100%. I just don't think the activity should be entirely banned just because of those few situations.

....Prostitution is used in countries with failing governments that can't provide for their populace, that can't take care of their citizens as they're supposed to be cared for. Rather than help with providing sustenance for the impoverished, those governments would rather allow them to sell themselves for their essentials. Those are inhumane governments, they care nothing for their countrymen's health or welfare...

sounds like the u.s. to me :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom