Legalized Marijuana Would Be Eliminated Under A Christie Presidency

Did anyone see the photo of Christie dressed in a baseball uniform throwing out the first pitch at a baseball game? Funny stuff, he looked like humpty Dumpty. If he is serious about running for president the skeletons will begin to march out of his closet like a small army. IMO he's making a play for the Adelson, Koch presidential sweepstakes. I have a feeling he is testing the waters but doubt he wants someone digging into his criminal past. This election will be paramount to mmj in this country.

Plenty of Republicans favor medical marijuana. - almost half the voters surveyed.
Something like 1/3 of the republicans favor legalization AS A STATE CHOICE.

You know I was thinking more about the 1 in 3 Republican voters favor legalization (as a state choice). Equals 33%. That won't win an election.

Once again, it shows the republicans not being with the mood of the country. In general polling (all partys polled) the country is at 56% in favor.. Which means a higher in favor among Democrats, other partys, I.e. Green Party. And probably Libertarians... (You know whats the difference between a Republican and a Libertarian? A Libertarian is a Republican who smokes pot! Small joke there :).

So... Voting Republican is not in your best interest... Unless your a multi millionaire...

Did anyone see the photo of Christie dressed in a baseball uniform throwing out the first pitch at a baseball game? Funny stuff, he looked like humpty Dumpty. If he is serious about running for president the skeletons will begin to march out of his closet like a small army. IMO he's making a play for the Adelson, Koch presidential sweepstakes. I have a feeling he is testing the waters but doubt he wants someone digging into his criminal past. This election will be paramount to mmj in this country.

Absolutely!!! Paramount importance! If anyone remembers what harm happened to progressive causes when Regan was elected.. And with these republicans seemingly trying to see who can out go each other to the far right, it scares me if one was elected!

BTW, that Christie pic was hilarious... Camel Toe. Being a New Jerseyan.. We HATE him here! Can't wait to move out of this state!!!

Don't reelect him as gov he's just as bad as the "mob" or what ever they call themselves now days. It's scary to think with the wrong guy/gal in there years of progress could take us back to 1977. Mj schedule I crack cocaine sch II. Makes so much sense. I don't care what the penalties I will continue to get relief from mj as long as I live - as long as I can find a helper in central Florida hint hint lol

I'm in that pond scums state... Yes, someone help me..NJ!

We can't stand him here... He's done nothing for the state.

Even the MMJ is out of control. $140 per quarter oz. That is $560 and oz. And most states that have MMJ programs allow you to grow your own (with limits obviously) but not NJ. Card or no it is still illegal. If I had to rely on the dispensarys, I would be flat broke. I already declared bankruptcy. Can't do it again. :peace:

Are there any Republicans who favour legalization? I'm Canadian and back in the 70s-90s we always thought the reason why Canada didn't loosen up their MJ laws was because of U.S. pressure; we always seemed more liberal in those areas...and still are in other areas. Now the U.S. is ahead of us on this issue.

Rand Paul is a Republican by affiliation, but you'd have to call him an outlier. I doubt that any left-leaning progressives would vote for Paul in any case, no matter how they feel about MJ.

Traditionally, marijuana legalization/liberalization has been a nonpartisan issue because no significant politician wanted to support it during the moral panic of the Reagan era. A century ago, opinions on alcohol policy cut across party lines, both heading into Prohibition and then moving towards repeal. We might see fewer Republican politicians openly advocating legalization, because legalized MJ doesn't fit into their promoted "brand" of a more traditionalist country.

Gothmog, very well said. Rand Paul is a Libertarian (as you know) but affiliated with the republicans purely (I believe) as he knows that gives him a much better chance than running as a "Libertarian."

Santorum BTW has the same opinion on MJ as Christie.

Which candidates (if any) Democratic or Republican have articulated a view and solution to the damage done over the past 40+ years of criminalizing cannabis possession?

The home state of presidential candidate Bernie Sanders already allows marijuana for medical use, and has reduced possession of small amount of pot to a civil infraction, about the same level as a parking ticket.

"I have real concerns about implications of the war on drugs. We have been engaged in it for decades now with a huge cost and the destruction of a whole lot of lives of people who were never involved in any violent activities," Sanders said.

Bulging at the seems with the added girth of Krispie's ego, the implosion brought on by their combined density should be cosmic as well as comic.

As far as I can see about all they have is polarizing jerks. They have to pander to 25% of a party that is essentially a decaying minority party today and not likely to win a national election again under their current platform.

Agree 99%. Not sure about that they HAVE to cater to the far right 25%, but the clown car crew certainly is. Personally, I hope they go the way of the Whigs... Jk! 2 party system is supposed to be a good thing, right now... Not so much.

Agree 99%. Not sure about that they HAVE to cater to the far right 25%, but the clown car crew certainly is. Personally, I hope they go the way of the Whigs... Jk! 2 party system is supposed to be a good thing, right now... Not so much.

They seem to believe that it is the only way that they will win the GOP primary. I, sometimes, would love to have a good half dozen strong political parties but then we have enough issues with what we have. Eventually the GOP will have to change or they will be replaced, willful ignorance cannot survive.

Which candidates (if any) Democratic or Republican have articulated a view and solution to the damage done over the past 40+ years of criminalizing cannabis possession?

Cannabis prohibition certainly didn't start 40 years ago.

It's important to keep in mind that cannabis possession has been effectively prohibited at the federal level since 1937, and in most of the states for decades longer than that. At any level, the prohibition of cannabis has gone on much longer than the prohibition of alcohol. We need to remember how deeply entrenched the prohibition of some drugs is, and that for decades to come there will still be any number of reactionaries on the issue. Many people don't even realize that opium and cocaine used to be freely available over the counter. Many years ago we were watching Tombstone, which deals with the events in the titular Arizona town that culminated in the famous gunfight at the OK Corral. Remember, this was in 1881. Historians tell us that Wyatt Earp's wife Josie was addicted to opium, and the film devotes some footage to this. My SIL, who was also watching, wanted to know how the wife of an LEO could be a drug addict. I explained that it wasn't a legal question at all, in those days.

Back
Top Bottom