Legalizing Marijuana Will Ruin A Great Culture

Jimbo

By Ben Badio, (Source:Central Florida Future)
07 Jul 2008
Florida

As we coast through this election season, it seems that everyone has knowledge on current and relevant issues: the economy, gas prices, gay rights, etc. That said, there is one issue on the minds of American youth that you don't have to wait until an election year to hear about: Marijuana.

The fight for reform of weed laws has been quite a long battle - nearly half a century and counting - but the pot smokers of America refuse to relent. From their ongoing struggle against the woes of prohibition, the cannabis consumers of our country have managed to create what is now one of the nation's largest student organizations - the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, or NORML. After all the buildup I've crammed into this introduction, it will probably surprise many readers that I think the legalization of marijuana is a terrible idea.

Before I explain myself, I feel obligated to mention this: I have nothing against pot smokers. Some of the nicest, most intelligent people I know are frequent users, and almost everyone I know will admit to trying it at least once in their lives. I honestly see nothing wrong with purchasing or smoking marijuana, - after all, it doesn't seem to have any negative effects, short or long term. It's the lack of any real negative effects that make weed the most popular illegal substance. I would never tell a pot smoker that what they are doing is wrong or try to get them to stop because it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal. That said, I myself have never participated in such an activity; it's just not my style. I like the idea of knowing that my zany thoughts sprout from a sober mind.

So why not legalize it? Simple logic: If pot becomes legal, it just won't be interesting anymore. Marijuana is one of the only illegal substances so influential in American culture that it's users have developed a sub-culture of their own. Weed culture is a nationwide phenomenon complete with films, music, books, stores and silly T-shirts; all dedicated to America's favorite criminal pastime. It's a culture with its own heroes, like Bob Marley, Willie Nelson, Cheech and Chong. A pot leaf is more than just a picture of a drug; it is a symbol that connects people to a lifestyle.

The birth and development of weed culture is not purely a result of the drug's temporarily mind-altering effects - it's enticing because it's illegal. People try pot because they aren't supposed to, and when they realize how much they like it, they continue to use it in the face of its illegality. By nature, humans are tempted to do what isn't allowed. It's this natural rebelliousness that makes smoking weed such an adventurous endeavor for many people, and it's that rebellious feeling that all pot smokers share. Cultures are based on sharing. Therefore, legal weed means cultural breakdown.

Imagine a world where pot becomes the cultural equivalent of smoking cigar*ttes, something that is done, or not done, but cultureless either way. Imagine how humorless, dramaless and boring the TV show Weeds would be without the unrelenting threat of legal action. Imagine a world where an organization like NORML suddenly becomes quite abnormal because it has nothing left to fight for. When the battle is over, the soldiers go home.

NORML.ORG US FL: Edu: Column: Legalizing Marijuana Will Ruin A Great

Ok...I'll gladly trade all of pot's culture and rebellion for the freedom to smoke it without going to jail....Hmmm, jail? or freedom? hmmm, that's a tough one...well...ok, I'll settle for freedom and no jail time...thats a no brainier dude!!!
I ain't so stupid that I would rather take a chance on jail over full legalization.
Sure, alot of people will suddenly be out of a rewarding job, myself included here at the mag., but our dream suddenly realized would over ride any culture shock...then we could just move on and maybe even make a prophet from all the knowledge we have gained by fighting so hard for it.
The thing is, our sub culture will still be intact and the brotherhood will still be there for us, because we still enjoy each others company and like mindedness...you can't just throw something like that aside and not look back at it.
You don't see victorious solders just shaking hands after the battle and saying "I'll catch you on the flip side"...no, they love each other for ever.
There's a deep feeling of love for one another that stoner's have that is unbreakable.

Bumping Jimbo from Mississippi. (Hoping that's good 'cos I have no idea what bump actually stands for, but I kind of figure it's a good thing. Old fart here out of touch.):peace:

Bumping Jimbo from Mississippi. (Hoping that's good 'cos I have no idea what bump actually stands for, but I kind of figure it's a good thing. Old fart here out of touch.):peace:

bumping the post to the top of the page so that it's the 1st to read...yes...it's a good thing!
These posts get shuffled to the bottom, and once in a while you need to bump them back to the top so their not forgotten...cool, thanks! :grinjoint:

how can the writer of that article, who openly admitted they have never even tried weed try and say whats what about it?

i personally believe that if weed became legal, the government would obviously tax it (as they do with cigarettes, alcohol so on and so forth), it would honestly make them so much more money, because if you put into perspective how much more of it would be bought on a daily basis, the taxes the make off of it would be astounding. there would also be less of an issue with growing hemp if weed was legalized which as we all know can be used for for practically anything. . .i think that the economy would would eventually fix itself. . .i know it might sound a bit crazy but if you think about it. . .it makes sense.

and i also agree with everyone else, soldiers dont just part ways after fighting a war. fighting the war brings them together as brothers, i dont see all the stoners world wide just being like "oh, well, that was a good fight. the wars over. . .see ya next time we need to fight for another cause."

how can the writer of that article, who openly admitted they have never even tried weed try and say whats what about it?
Exactly!
So he's saying most people tried pot because they knew it was illegal, and because of that, caused them to feel a rush or Iets see, its illegal so it must be good feeling to try it....
This is what a lot of children go through but as they age, they lose that mind set, or most do anyway.
Looks like he hasn't.

that article is very naive. people try things because they are illegal? well then most people would have smoked crack and robbed a bank. people smoke weed because it is enjoyable, in some cases medicinal, and is not harmful, not for "culture" or a "lifestyle."

First off, to clear some things up. This 'article' was published in a local student-run newspaper at a nearby university. The article was published in the section entitled 'Opinions'. With all that said, I'm sorry to say that there are opinions such as this one, in my home town, though I have taken this exactly as it is, an opinion. :)

About 6-8 months ago, I remember reading about two elderly women who were prosecuted (feds) for growing their own medicine. The prosecution agreed that they only grew it for their own use. Because of federal minimum sentencing, these two old women are going to die in prison.

I don't think that the specialness of a movie like Harold and Kumar is a sufficiant reason to oppose legalization.

That's such a tragic thing to here, and the main reason we need our beloved herb legalized.
No one should have to go through the hell of incarceration because they were just trying to self medicate.
Damn our government to hell for treating innocent non-violent people like criminals, when they are giving MMJ to a select few themselves...how dare they say that MJ has no medical value when they are treating people with it themselves!!!

I'm on probation and getting caught using will probably get me thrown in prison. I love the culture but I cherish my freedom more than the culture.

I'm on probation and getting caught using will probably get me thrown in prison. I love the culture but I cherish my freedom more than the culture.

Even if your keeping clean...you can still show support for legalization..:smokin:
Then you wouldn't have to worry about it anymore!!! :grinjoint:

That's such a tragic thing to here, and the main reason we need our beloved herb legalized.
No one should have to go through the hell of incarceration because they were just trying to self medicate.
Damn our government to hell for treating innocent non-violent people like criminals, when they are giving MMJ to a select few themselves...how dare they say that MJ has no medical value when they are treating people with it themselves!!!

in new hampshire (where i live), about 80%-90% of their inmate population is marijuana related crimes. . .i find that to be a bit ridiculous. instead of throwing people in prison who deserve to be there, thats where the throw the marijuana users. they put all of their actual criminals (child molesters, thieves. . .whatever) into county jails!!!!!

First off, to clear some things up. This 'article' was published in a local student-run newspaper at a nearby university. The article was published in the section entitled 'Opinions'. With all that said, I'm sorry to say that there are opinions such as this one, in my home town, though I have taken this exactly as it is, an opinion. :)

Local what? You mean to tell me.......
That student should be shot!
LOL j/k
Opinion it is..... A very bad one lol
Ah, I need some Marijuana Jokes

But I can see MJ being legal one year. Hopefully in my lifetime. Because this is something that is grown naturally by nature.

Back
Top Bottom