lights?

drdanks

I have a 1000w mh, however its getting into the low 80s. So I just went and bought a 100w cool white light that will work in any lamp. It produces about 1500 lumens. Is it ok to keep that on rather than the 1000w during the day to avoid getting too hot?

well when you put it that way... hahaha...smoke another one huh... well i'll just get an a/c....cool deal man thanks for the wake up call...

well when you put it that way... hahaha...smoke another one huh... well i'll just get an a/c....cool deal man thanks for the wake up call...

hey bro.. u might end up having to by an ac but have u tried or looked into DIY(do it yoself) Ventilation and cooltube for your grow space?

what kinda set up do u have? how big is ur grow?

:popcorn:

IMG00082-20090606-1755.jpg

For those little plants a 1000 watter is major over-kill. 1000 watts will be plenty once that space is FULL of green. Use some CFLs nice and close, 6500k for veg, until you get some more greenery. Maybe try to score a 400w to use until the canopy is full. By then it may be cooler and you won't need AC.

Love Oregon, awfully nice women down there. Seem to like us horny Canucks too. :0)

i got one of those 6500k cfl's. 24 hrs. then i have the mh on at night as well till about noon. this will keep the temps in the low 70s. does the mh have a negative effect on the plants? by using it for about 12-14 hrs along with the cfls?

i got one of those 6500k cfl's. 24 hrs. then i have the mh on at night as well till about noon. this will keep the temps in the low 70s. does the mh have a negative effect on the plants? by using it for about 12-14 hrs along with the cfls?

The more light the merrier. As long as they have light for over 16 hours a day they'll stay in veg and the extra lumens will boost their growth over the CFLs alone.

Good vegetative growth needs about 20-30 watts per square foot where you want to go up to 50 or more for good flowering. I assume with CFLs one would use the wattage that the bulb is equivalent to. 23w/100w = 100watts for calculating watts/square foot.

I'm not sure if that's right so if anyone has any hard data I'd like to see it as I'm planning on using them for vegging myself.

Your lighting should work great and if you can keep temps down so much the better.

When you go 12/12 you could run the 1000 watter at night when it's cooler. I run mine from 9pm-9am. Noise or odor isn't much of a concern except for the gas guy who drops by unannounced to read the meter. We live out in the boonies and our nearest neighbour is a half mile away.

I wonder what gives off more heat.

2 X 400W HPS or

1 X 1000W MH

Anybody know for sure?

i belive the 1000 mh or any 1000 watt will produce more heat than any two 400w. i asked my indoor guy that same question. he told me the 1000 is great for a 5x5-8x8 grow space. if your using a room like i am you will need an a/c if you live in a climate that is hotter in the summer. and plus its easier to control the height of one than to worry about two. good luck man. oh and i have the cfls on 24/7 and the 1000 on from 9pm to 4am. this keeps the temp at night about 10-15 degrees cooler than day temps. and thanks for the info.

LabRat is correct. Your 1000-watt MH is, at this stage, overkill. When I started reading this thread I was assuming that you had several square feet of dense vegetation and you were wanting to use the little CFL to prevent your plant(s) from flowering - which it would do even though it wouldn't promote much growth. But with such small plants at this point, I would be very hesitant to use the 1kW MH at all.

Adjust them to the same height, move them close together, and stick about 100 watts (actual) CFLs within an inch or two of the tops of your plants. Say four 26-watt 6500K bulbs in a horizontal orientation with homemade pop-can reflectors. In a couple weeks you could add one vertical bulb with no reflector in the center of the plants at canopy-height.

And then when the plants outgrew that you could switch to your MH.

LabRat said:
I wonder what gives off more heat.

2 X 400W HPS or

1 X 1000W MH

Anybody know for sure?

No. But look at combined lumen-per-watt numbers to figure out the approximate efficiency. You're going to get light (well, radiation) and heat as your output. More of one (per watt) would indicate less of the other. Think about the "cool-running" CFLs; I'd expect that 600 watts' worth of them would actually put out more heat (and definitely less light) than a 600-watt HPS.

There would also be the question of the heat output directly from the ballasts which may or may not be relevant to you (depending on their location).

Shame that there aren't heat output specs on these things but there would be a lot of variables to consider when people started putting together their fixtures.

drdanks said:
i belive the 1000 mh or any 1000 watt will produce more heat than any two 400w.

I'd think that a 1kW MH would have a greater heat output than two 600-watt HPS.

drdanks said:
i asked my indoor guy that same question. he told me the 1000 is great for a 5x5-8x8 grow space.

Later, when you have the plants to support such a space. At this point it is having a much greater affect on your electricity bill than on your plants.

and I thought 2000 watts wasnt enuf for my 8x8 area..with movers. I want to stuff anoter 1000 in there.

Well, the rails help a lot but that is only 31¼ watts per square foot lol.

Just think what you'd have with 102 watts per sq. ft. or more. Lots of CO2 and humidity, more heat, perhaps even inject some CH4 and sulfuric compounds (SO2 comes to mind), and hit them with wicked bursts of ultra-violet radiation on a regular basis...

Have to keep the pets out of the garden before you feed the plants or they might pull a venus flytrap on them though lmao.

Just goofin'

Ive been grinding up dead people to feed them now...Feed me Seymore....

Reminds me of a local pig farmer who's <COUGH> popular in certain circles.

Back
Top Bottom