lil' help for the new guy?

L i n k

hello, new here.
first, let me say thank you for taking the time to read this...im sure youve read it a gazillion times. so thanks.
have been reading and reading and reading. so much info to absorb.

i think my research has answered my questions but,...confirmation from experts would be awesome.

ill start at the beginning:

bought cashcrop 4.0.
bought Bianca feminized seeds.
planted seeds Oct.27. in the 6 pots/plugs the grow box came with.

right out of the gate, i F'd up and somehow confused 2 days with 2 weeks of the germinating process. info overload i assume...
realized my error and corrected,...lost 2.
the 4 remaining have been mostly healthy. and tomorrow will be exactly 1 month. i struggled with Ph and ppm's at first, but only slightly, until it sunk in and i got a grip on it.

after 2 weeks of 24 hours light...i switched to 18 on 6 off. and is still on that cycle.

the pics im uploading are from today. i just noticed the root system in reservoir is slightly not-white. dont wanna say brown,..but definitely not as white as they were a few days ago. and not as white as some other parts of the root system. some lower leaves are browning at tips...new growth is slightly twisty and canoe-like.
the twisty leaves and canoe-effect isnt brand new,..ive noticed that a little bit over the past few weeks, i assumed the inaccurate Ph (i had to wait on Ph meter to arrive. was using that color coded bottle that comes with Ph up/down kit.) was to blame.

So.....after reading tons about browning roots. i learned the small tiny airpump/airstone that kit came with is far from sufficient. also, i had a small heater to keep temp in the 70's. without heater, temp would drop in the mid to low 60's every night. and only get up to 78 max at other times. my reading tells me it should be 65'ish. and im sure its been the same temp as closet/growbox wich has been from 72-85. im gonna get a thermometer to test actual water temp tomorrow.
so i believe that heater is causing my reservoir water/root temp to be too high. also, the 2 pots that didnt make at first....were empty and left open for light to get in. until today.

and, ive read lots of clever ways to lower reservoir temp. that DIY one with the igloo cooler is just plain genius lol. might just spend the $$ and buy a chiller. idk yet.
also i ordered some hydroguard.
i got bigger better pump with 2 outputs and 2 large 2" stones.
ive got the Ph perfect now. ppms at 400, tap water was only 30 to start with.
this strain is a hybrid of other strains white widow, white queen which im sure most of you are familiar with, and The Afghani strain, used to mountainous conditions, a very hardy and strong strain of cannabis, which can endure severe cold or heat.

im not certain on temperatures...is 75-85 normal/acceptable? considering this strains natural region,..i think it would be ok even hotter than that. but considering im also heating up the root temp,..i am curious whats the acceptable low range is.
is 65 the ideal water temp?

is my understanding and diagnosis in the right ballpark? or am i way off?
hopefully pics will illustrate what im saying. and again, thank you for helping.

IMAG0150_zps01b662c1.png

IMAG0151_zps8c138028.png

IMAG0152_zps8ecc2cf2.png

IMAG0152_zps8ecc2cf2.png

IMAG0154_zpsc892d751.png

IMAG0158_zps6f2b671f.png

IMAG0159_zps61b255b9.png

IMAG0161_zps458b79e0.png

IMAG0162_zps40b735ed.png

IMAG0163_zps4c012882.png

IMAG0164_zpse5812180.png

IMAG0155_zpsb651bf27.png

I would switch to black tubing, everything seems to go back to light getting in.

IMO, your plant look great, that bit of a brown look is probably just from the nute solution. Definitely go to a non see thur tubing, as the light will cause thing to grow in your water. also dont let the water get above 70 ish for temp, 65 is great. Are you sure your tap water was only 30ppm?? that seems odd to me unless you have an RO unit in your house... I would think water that clean would just eat copper pipping if it is in your city's distribution....

thanks for your input.
im going to change tubing immediately. i run irrigation (lawn sprinkler) biz, so i have lots of tubing around.
i will test tap water again. i live in washington state...many people have expressed how clean the water is here. but i will confirm my findings to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom