Liquor Board Chair: "I Am Proud Of What We've Done With Marijuana"

Shandar

Two of three Washington state Liquor Control Board (LCB) members are stepping down next year. Chris Marr, a former state senator from Spokane, said he'll leave the board Jan. 1 to become a lobbyist.

Sharon Foster, the board chair, will retire after this year. Foster served on the board for nearly six years, overseeing the privatization of liquor sales and implementation of Initiative 502, the state's recreational-marijuana system. Foster will retire to travel and spend time at her beach home on Whidbey Island, she said.

Two new members will be appointed by the governor to serve six-year terms.

Foster recently spoke with The Seattle Times about her tenure:

Q: What are you most proud of?

A: "I am proud of what we've done with marijuana ... I think we'll go down in the history books as doing it right."

Q: Are we better off than Colorado?

A: "We did it much slower than Colorado. Colorado already had a medical-marijuana program in place. We didn't. So for them, they did it with a constitutional amendment and they did it faster. I think it's been proven that just because they did it faster doesn't mean they did it better."

Q: What mistakes do you think the Washington Liquor Board has made?

A: "We would have gone slower. I think, above all, in my mind it would be best if we right now were where we were six months ago. I think we would have less frustrations with people. People were clamoring out there. And I kept saying, 'You know, good heavens, if people don't have their weed for a month or two, the world is not going to fall apart.' "

Q: What problems do you see going forward that your successor will have to address?

A: "Medical marijuana, certainly. Since I'm leaving, I can say this: I do believe the LCB is the best agency to regulate and enforce both recreational and medical. I think the Department of Health will have a big role to play whether it's a registry or whether there's actually people ... who get trained to sell medical marijuana."

Q: With regard to Seattle, medical-marijuana stores are proliferating. Do you think Seattle is treating the issue in the right way?

A: "I'm disappointed that Seattle let it go as much as it did. ... I think that will play itself out in the Legislature. I would think these producers, processors and retailers of ours that are paying these taxes and they've got somebody five doors down that's being able to sell something that's not tested and they're not paying any tax on it. And where the hell did it come from? I think that group will coalesce around a fair, level playing field."

Q: What about counties and cities banning or putting moratoriums on the I-502 marijuana industry?

A: "I ... would hope that communities that do have marijuana ... that they're responsible and that can be shown to places that do have bans that it's a legitimate industry, that it brings jobs to their community and brings tax dollars to their community. I know in front of the Legislature this year there likely will be some legislation that says tax money ought to be shared with communities. Well, if they don't have marijuana I don't think they ought to have a share of the revenues. Maybe that's the carrot."

Q: Did you think marijuana would be legalized during your lifetime?

A: "I don't think it ever crossed my mind that it would ever become legal. It was so daring and so risqué to smoke a joint. There was great glamour in it because it was so risqué."

Q: Do you think that "glamour" will subside?

A: "I do. I think there may be less people in the long run that smoke marijuana than do right now once the glamour wears off. I recently spoke to a group called Wine America, winemakers from across the United States. Everybody's concerned, will marijuana replace a nice glass of wine or a good Scotch or something?

I just said, 'I think you ought to promote, if you're having marijuana brownies, you ought to have them with a good glass of Washington wine.' "

Q: Is this a good job?

A: "It's a fantastic job – I hope whoever replaces me enjoys it as much as I have. You don't come in to make a lot of money. I make $58,000 a year plus health benefits. I didn't take this job to get rich.

"As hard as a board member has to work these days, maybe it ought to be paid a little more."

Q: You're retiring, does that open new doors?

A: "For marijuana use?

My physical therapist said to me the other day, 'Sharon, have you been using any of that alternate product?'

And I looked at her and said, 'You know – I hadn't thought about that.' And I said, 'Maybe I should be for my knee ...' "

130306_Marijuana_AS_WEB_1_full.jpg

News Moderator: Shandar @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: The Seattle Times | News, sports, weather, events in the Northwest
Author: Evan Bush
Website: Liquor board chair: “I am proud of what we’ve done with marijuana” | Local News | The Seattle Times

That's a great and important point gentlhart and couldn't agree with you and the WA approach more on this issue which is also going to be a huge debate item for Alaskan communities moving forward. It makes no sense whatsoever to ban cannabis from within some imaginary municipal boundary for the sake of ....I'm not sure what they actually think they can accomplish with that since cannabis has long been everywhere and always will be no different than beer or cigarettes. I do think however that communities would benefit from receiving revenue funds to assist with the local management and implementation of the laws regarless because they are going to need education, outreach, staff and public safety training etc. because even if a community opts out in AK, the personal and medical use grow and consumption will still be completely legal. Great article and info Shandar, thanks - Cheers

I agree very much with her on communities that ban it don't get a share of the revenues,its unfair 2 the communities that do.

Q: What about counties and cities banning or putting moratoriums on the I-502 marijuana industry?

A: “I ... would hope that communities that do have marijuana ... that they’re responsible and that can be shown to places that do have bans that it’s a legitimate industry, that it brings jobs to their community and brings tax dollars to their community. I know in front of the Legislature this year there likely will be some legislation that says tax money ought to be shared with communities. Well, if they don’t have marijuana I don’t think they ought to have a share of the revenues. Maybe that’s the carrot.”

Q: Are we better off than Colorado?

A: “We did it much slower than Colorado. Colorado already had a medical-marijuana program in place. We didn’t. So for them, they did it with a constitutional amendment and they did it faster. I think it’s been proven that just because they did it faster doesn’t mean they did it better.”

I thought this was an odd question, pride, vanity, patriotism...Why does everything need to be a competition. Whats the judgement about? Every community will determine what works for them. Journalists I suppose are taught to ask comparative questions but the answer will never be scientific or based on fact. Sharon tried to leave it alone in her graceful answer and I don't fault her for it. What is the deal with questions like these?

:peace:

i could and would argue ever one of those answers. glad to see she will be retiring and spending time in her vacation house now.. glad to watch more uneducated people retiring. its good times.

the washington liquor control board is the best to handle medical marijuana, huh,, what...

in the words of the uneducated..
"she must be smoking some great stuff"

I&i

i could and would argue ever one of those answers. glad to see she will be retiring and spending time in her vacation house now.. glad to watch more uneducated people retiring. its good times.

the washington liquor control board is the best to handle medical marijuana, huh,, what...

in the words of the uneducated..
"she must be smoking some great stuff"

I&i

UH....GF?
The Washington Liquor Control Board might be a darn good group to monitor RECREATIONAL marijuana.

If the issue is to keep cannabis out of the hands of kids, having the,ATF officers stakeout dispensaries like they stakeout liquor stores sounds like a good idea to me. I argue Liquor Control is a better group that one that monitors pharmacies or one that monitors restaurants.

not to start a argument where it isnt needed.

but for that main point "if the issue is to keep cannabis out of the hands of kids"

then the WSLCB or the ATF does not have the best reputation to uphold this.. i can pull up recent and old records if needed to show their history of keeping weapons, alcohol, and tobacco out of childrens hands.

the main point is, if you dont want your children to have it, then teach them the truth about the plant and drugs. dont lie and try and make them think its this terrible plant but all their friends are smoking it and acting fine.

im 24 so im younger then most on this site as ive seen, when i was 10 years old i was drinking and smoking cigs. (before i smoked weed even)

should your kid be like me? no.. will your kid be fine if they do what i did? possibly, possibly not..

but when i was young i was told (this is all bad, dont do it even though we are drinking and smoking cigs) when i drank, i felt like shit, when i smoked cigs, i couldnt perform like i did in sports (state shortstop/pitcher) Now when i was 14 i started smoking cannabis daily, i was able to perform in sports and school. my fiance was able to graduate at the top of her class Next to valedictorian and was on dean list all through college.

now is this about me and my fiance? no, its about the choices we made off of our own research and choices.

.. i guess there really is no way for this discussion to go down well since "children" are the main point of this. its like religion and politics.

but i will say this,

my mother was as strict as you could imagine, i moved out of her house at 12 years old. when i was 10 i was smoking and drinking cause i couldnt believe one word out of her mouth as everything she tried to tell me i could tell was what "she wanted" and not what is right or wrong. so i became a rebel at a very young age, now lets move to when i was 14. ive lived with my dad for 2 years at this point and he had this mentality "let the children learn from their own mistakes" it was simple, insane, and worked. i quit smoking cigs almost instantly (he even offered to buy them for me) i quit drinking at age of 15 (crashed my 76' nova hatchback) have had a handful of drinks since then almost 10 years now. however, i did notice i could smoke weed and manage my classes, sports, chores, and job. so why should i quit? what is bad about this? they say my brain doesnt develop? well then i guess i should of been the next einstein. am i a genius? no, do i think i am? no, am i what america considers "successful" yes, have i smoked weed since i was 14 every day, yes. am i a burden on you or yours? no, i have never taken one dollar from our government other then unemployment that i was on for 5 months back in 2009. ive paid taxes since i was 17 years old, i moved out when i was 17 and i can drive when i just took 2+ dabs, while smoking a blunt for just a hour long drive, to a location to take another dab to drive back home to take more dabs.

my point if your still reading, is yes children are different. as sad and hard as it is to hear, you cant make their decisions for them, even your life experiences will do nothing for your children. they have to learn on their own. so let them.

peace and love be with this crazy society.

I&i

i realize you posted mainly about recreational..

this is why i commented

Q: What problems do you see going forward that your successor will have to address?

A: “Medical marijuana, certainly. Since I’m leaving, I can say this: I do believe the LCB is the best agency to regulate and enforce both recreational and medical. I think the Department of Health will have a big role to play whether it’s a registry or whether there’s actually people ... who get trained to sell medical marijuana.”

if they want to stay in recreational, ill go back to my corner. if they want to act like they can control medicine on any level, ill stand back up. sorry

I&i

Edit : just for instance, our shop is 2 miles from 1 of several bars in a town not bigger then a small logging town. that one bar i speak of, was just recently shut down closed doors for over a month because they sold to a minor. So how does the liquor control board regulate that? they fined the bar and a month later they opened up, this has been a issue as long as ive been alive since the 90's and i know it went on through the 80's so they have no clue how to regulate anything.

if i was to sell to a minor, (with no regulations in medical in washington) i would be arrested and charged for doing so. much worst then a ticket wouldnt u say, i refuse to even let minors in our lobby let alone even contemplate selling to one

No way are we going to argue about this GFcollective!

I support RECREATIONAL in the hands of liquor control board mostly BECAUSE they will do a crappy job.

So many government officials and agencies are so over the top about armed guards, standardized testing and tagging each plant.
There is no need for that in recreational. If paraquat sprayed cheap Mexican weed hasn't been killing people, well.... what's to worry about besides low quality cannabis? Hands off is fine with me.

I stand corrected. I overlooked the little part about medical. Medical requires quality control.

As fir kids... I agree what they do or don't do is all about how their parents raise them.

Dear jah, hahaha. I like how Oregon gone about theirs so far. Allowing anyone to grow at home is a good step

U had me going radogast.
props to ya haha

I&I

Dear jah, hahaha. I like how Oregon gone about theirs so far. Allowing anyone to grow at home is a good step

U had me going radogast.
props to ya haha

I&I

Sorry I wound you up.
I loved the personalized rant, but I didn't want to put you through that.

I KNOW you are PASSIONATE about quality medical. I salute you for it!

Back
Top Bottom