Local Dispensary Joins Chamber

In what may be a sign of growing acceptance of the medical marijuana industry, The Hemp Center in Littleton has become the first dispensary to join the South Metro Denver Chamber of Commerce.

The family-owned boutique on downtown's Main Street was approved last month by the chamber's board of directors. That is how all new members are approved by the nonprofit organization's bylaws.

Jim Van Diest, The Hemp Center's co-owner, says it was natural step for his business to join the chamber's diverse network of south metro businesses as it strives to build credibility in the community.

"We're trying to represent a more upscale experience," he said. "There's a lot of people in the chamber that we can interact with. If we can bring a greater level of professionalism, education and understanding to the people, I believe it will help everyone."

According to the chamber's president, John Brackney, it took the organization's governing board of business leaders less than five minutes to reach its unanimous decision to approve The Hemp Center's application.

"My guess was that they would be welcome in the business community and my guess was correct," Brackney said. "I thought there might be more dissent or controversy over it. But it was a unanimous vote."

The chamber has assigned a staff member to act as The Hemp Center's marketing consultant. Brackney says the organization will be willing to organize a ceremonial ribbon cutting and networking event at the dispensary if the business requests it.

"Our job is to promote our businesses, to build relationships, and build trust and respect between business people. [Our assigned staff member] said 'I've seen the site. I've talked to the person and I'm comfortable being their marketing and visibility consultant,'" Brackney said.

Within the controversial medical marijuana industry, The Hemp Center might have been voted the dispensary most likely to join a chamber of commerce. The store is distinct from the many industrial-looking or purely functional dispensaries that operate in the metro area.

The Hemp Center in the historic Abbot Building boasts interior brick walls, hardwood floors and a functioning gas stove. In many ways, it looks like the quaint gift shops and galleries that line Main Street.

Despite the store's pleasant aesthetics, Brackney does not expect every one of the chamber's more than 1,600 diverse members to enthusiastically welcome the dispensary with open arms and business cards.

"There will be clients who aren't necessarily pleased, but there are always people who might not want a certain client for various reasons," he said. "There might be some minor controversy, but I wouldn't be predicting it based on how the staff and board have handled it."

Van Diest thinks when other competing dispensaries make their own strides to outwardly join the business community, acceptance and understanding of the industry will follow.

"The more people know, the less uncertainty and questionable thoughts they might have," he said. "These are just good people looking for health."

Brackney adds that joining the chamber is only the first step for a local business that wants to network, make contacts and promote its industry in the community.

"It's up to them and our staff member to create a plan of action," the chamber president said. "If they do that, that's a major step toward building a reputation. Simply sending money into the chamber is meaningless."

The Hemp Center's membership comes as Littleton mulls its options on dispensaries. The city council is considering a November ballot question that would let voters decide whether the city should allow them to operate at all in Littleton.

Last month, the Colorado General Assembly approved broad legislation, sponsored by Sen. Nancy Spence, R-Centennial, that will allow cities and counties to ban medical marijuana businesses in their communities.

In 2000, Colorado voters approved a constitutional amendment allowing the medicinal use of marijuana. Any use remains illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Highlands Ranch Herald
Author: Peter Jones
Copyright: 2010 coloradocommunitynewspapers.com

Back
Top Bottom