Local or bag soil - need help!

Ascended

I am thinking of doing an outdoor grow this year and I wanted some opinions. The area I am looking to plant used to be an active farm field almost 20 years ago, since then it has been allowed to return to nature and as such has a healthy grouping of cedar trees spaced throughout the clearing. My thoughts were since it was a formerly active farmland could I get away with using just the native soil, or should I (continue to) bring bag soil/peat into the area? And should I plant in the ground or bring buckets in? I am leaning towards in the ground mainly because I don't want the added chance of someone spotting the buckets, but if I have to then so be it.

Now some more info, in case it helps, the cedars that grow in that clearing are going nuts, (at least compared to the surrounding area), I would guess at maybe double or at least half again as much growth on the trees in the clearing vs those not in the clearing... but keep in mind that this is just by eyeballing and as such should be taken with a pound of salt. Drainage seems to be good in the area, never seems to have standing water on the surface anyway, but not sure if that's a good thing or not since it could mean more trips to water. Most of the trees in that area are about 10 feet and under so getting the proper amount of light shouldn't be too hard so long as I pay attention.

If you can think of anything else I should be on the look out for please let me know, thanks.

Plant directly in soil, which you have to till first if it hasn't been cultivated for a while. If proportions of clay, sand and organic matter are in norm, you can just cut it with biochar and some peat. Also if PH is totally out of whack you might need to correct it. Look for earthworms as they're the sign of fertility. Also add some limestone, powdered eggshells or red algae powder as more calcium and magnesium will help you to get higher quality buds. Have fun and good luck.

Hey @conradino23 keep that in mind. My back also thanks you, as I won't have to lug that many bags of soil back in lol, Thanks again.

On a side note, does anyone have recommendations for what to put up around the plants to keep animals from eating them? I was thinking of using painted chicken wire (painted beige/green to blend and buried 1 foot in the ground to prevent diggers) and stakes but if anyone has an easier or less "flashy" idea I am open.

Electric fence ;)

cedar trees falling leaves/nettles tend to rise the ph of the soil under the canopy, cedars prefer a ph of 6.5 to 7.5. If possible have the soil tested and amend accordingly as CDino23 commented.

A lot of times an old crop field is replanted due to better pay via trees vs. row crop with a good government incentive added. Here where I live the gov pays so good per acre to take the land out of row crop and put it in trees under a 10 or 15 year contract.

As for the animals, I had to put some 3 week old plants out today away from the house. I used some wire fencing and was going to paint it put it actually is very hard to notice until you are right on it, I'm thinking painting it would make it stick out more? I think the best way to keep the animal off is to get it well started before putting in the wild, but we all don't have that option. I just started a grow journal on this grow if you care to see my wire cage. BOL to you!

IMG_20150414_161534066.jpg

Back
Top Bottom