Long-Serving Maryland Senate President Says He Supports Legalization Of Marijuana

The General

The move to legalize marijuana in Maryland has an unexpected ally: Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr. Miller (D-Calvert), who has presided over his chamber for more than a quarter century, said in an interview Friday that he would support legislation allowing the regulated sale of marijuana, similar to what is now taking place in Colorado. "I favor the legalization and taxation of marijuana, with restrictions," Miller said, adding that he thinks his position will only grow in popularity in coming years. "I know where people are going to be a generation or two from now."

Miller was less confident, however, at the prospect of a bill passing in the 90-day legislative session that starts next week. While he said a legalization bill would stand a good chance in the Senate, he thinks the odds are much longer in the House and said that Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) – who rose to prominence as a tough-on-crime mayor of Baltimore – is "always slow on issues like this." "Quite frankly, I don't see it passing," Miller said.

Last year, the Senate voted 30 to 16 for a bill that would have decriminalized possession of small amounts of marijuana, subjecting those caught to only a civil fine of up to $100. That measure died in the House. Lawmakers instead passed a bill that legalizes marijuana for medical purposes but limits distribution to a small number of qualified academic medical centers. That program has yet to launch. It's certain there will be some robust debate this year over legalizing pot in the Free State.

Del. Heather R. Mizeur (D-Montgomery), who is running for governor, has proposed legalizing marijuana and using the tax revenue it generates to fund pre-kindergarten education. Del. Curtis S. Anderson (D-Baltimore), meanwhile, told WBAL-TV this week that he plans to push for a bill again this year in the House of Delegates.

Maryland_Senate_President_Thomas_V_Mike_Miller_.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Washingtonpost.com
Author: John Wagner
Website: Long-serving Maryland Senate president says he supports legalization of marijuana - The Washington Post

Back
Top Bottom