MA: Watertown Legislator Criticizes Marijuana Sales Delay

Katelyn Baker

One of Watertown's three state legislators criticized moves made Wednesday by the state Senate and House of Representatives to delay implementation of a ballot question to legalize the sale and recreational use of marijuana, passed by voters in the 2016 state election.

The House and Senate on Wednesday passed a bill (S 2524) that would delay the licensing of retail marijuana outlets by six months, which could push the regulated sale of pot well into 2018. Possession, use and marijuana home-growing provisions of the law took effect Dec. 15 and those aspects of the ballot law are not altered in the legislation.

"I don't like the way this was done," state Rep. Jonathan Hecht, D-Watertown wrote in an email to the TAB.

"While I am disappointed by the vote yesterday to delay the roll-out by six months, I accept it as a reasonable accommodation to reality in the circumstances," wrote state Sen. Will Brownsberger, D-Watertown in a post on his official website.

State Rep. John Lawn, D-Watertown, did not reply to a request for comment in time for publication.

Call for more transparency

Without advance notice, legislative leaders introduced the delay bill at sessions that began at 11 a.m. and whisked it through both branches. Only a handful of legislators were present to move the bill along and it received final approval votes in the House at 1:10 p.m. and in the Senate at 1:13 p.m.

The delay bill was passed in an informal session, which does not require a roll-call vote.

Watertown's Hecht criticized the move's lack of openness, but stated moves to make changes to the law were expected.

"I expected the legislature would make some changes to the law," Hecht wrote in his email. "Even among people in my district who voted for Question 4 there were quite a few who said they wanted to see it modified in various ways. But it should be done openly and with a full debate. Going forward hopefully it will be."

Brownsberger stated he the legislature's move did not worry him.

"I was not troubled by the decision yesterday to postpone the commercial sale of marijuana by six months. The real battles to protect the people's will lie ahead," he wrote.

Baker to 'carefully review' measure

"The administration will continue to work closely with lawmakers, educators, and public safety and public health professionals on the implementation of the law to ensure the transition protects the interests of our communities and families while adhering to the will of the voters," Lizzy Guyton, communications director for Gov. Charlie Baker, said in a statement. "The governor will carefully review any legislation reaching his desk."

The proposed changes to the voter-approved ballot question would need Baker's signature to become law. An aide to Baker did not directly address whether the governor collaborated with lawmakers on the delay bill.

A spokeswoman for Treasurer Deborah Goldberg said she had not worked with lawmakers on the bill. Goldberg is responsible for appointing the Cannabis Control Commission and has advocated for delay in implementing aspects of the law.

Baker has previously endorsed a delay of a "reasonable time-period" to allow officials to address public health, safety and local control issues.

Brownsberger urged legalization supporters to stay vigilant for future debates over the sales tax applied to recreational marijuana attempts to place "unreasonable" restrictions on marijuana sales.

"My motivation in supporting marijuana legalization is to reduce the number of ways that people can get in trouble with the criminal justice system," he wrote. "To be successful in that respect, the new commercial market needs to fully supplant the illegal distribution network for marijuana. If we set taxes too high, under-the-table sales will continue and we will defeat the purpose of legalization."

BP-Mike-Barrett.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Watertown Legislator Criticizes Marijuana Sales Delay
Author: James Sanna
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom