Making honey oil from kief?

pagemap

My roommate and I have been saving all the kief from our grinder and now have about 5 grams :cheesygrinsmiley: . Anyways, we want to make some honey oil using butane as the solvent. Butane is a better solvent than acetone or alcohol, at least when working with THC.

The instructions we want to use are these (https://www.neonjoint.com/drug_recipes/chapter12.html, but it assumes that one would start with buds, not kief. I was wondering if these same instructions would work with kief.

Thanks everyone!

Have you ever heard of the Honey Bee Oil maker? It is the same thing only you don't need to make it out of PVC.

This whole thing will work but there is a slight catch. Those bottles of butane that you use to fill a lighter with is filled with many other gases that will not evaporate away cleanly like pure butane. The other gases in it may be fine for just lighting a lighter up but you do not want to smoke the impurities and toxins that the other gases will leave behind. What I am saying is you need to get your hands on pure butane (which I don't know of any source) so that you do not end up with all that crap in your keif.

5 grams of keif is a hell of alot! I would put that into my pollen press if I had that much and I suggest you do invest in this instead of any of these other methods. Hope this helps.

About the only place I know that has pure butane is a chemical supply house. I'm pretty sure you don't need a licence and that the general public could purchase it with no problems as it is used as a solvent in many industries.

Maybe it's just me, but I like my buds as clean as I can get them. Putting alcohol and butane on things is kind of scarey when you realize that you are actually going to inhlae that stuff derectly into your lungs. It's very true that marijuana smoking will not hurt you but the same cannot be said for smoking these dangerous chemicals or the impurites they leave behind.

Pressed keif hash may not be the purest form of hash around but it is far cleaner than putting all that other stuff into your lungs. The only other method I endorse besides press hash made with a pollen press is Bubble hash and you need alot of plant material for that and not keif. Also, although it will burn faster you could just smoke the pure keif. Hope this helps you in a decision on what to do.

RooRman said:
Maybe it's just me, but I like my buds as clean as I can get them. Putting alcohol and butane on things is kind of scarey when you realize that you are actually going to inhlae that stuff derectly into your lungs. It's very true that marijuana smoking will not hurt you but the same cannot be said for smoking these dangerous chemicals or the impurites they leave behind.

Pressed keif hash may not be the purest form of hash around but it is far cleaner than putting all that other stuff into your lungs. The only other method I endorse besides press hash made with a pollen press is Bubble hash and you need alot of plant material for that and not keif. Also, although it will burn faster you could just smoke the pure keif. Hope this helps you in a decision on what to do.

Agreed. Personally I would not try any of these things just cause I have no idea what I am doing and I dont know if the instructions I am reading are correct. Pressing it into hash will get you mighty high and it lasts for quite a long time.

The Mad Toker said:
Agreed. Personally I would not try any of these things just cause I have no idea what I am doing and I dont know if the instructions I am reading are correct. Pressing it into hash will get you mighty high and it lasts for quite a long time.

Yes I agree press hash is as good as any and it lasts really long and burns alot slower than unpressed keif.

actually if you use butane to make the oil, the butane will boil away at 24.4 c(room temp) so if you leave the oil sit untill there are no bubbles in it what so ever the butane will have boiled its self compleatly away leaving no dangerous chemicals behind. The same goes for making iso oil, the iso will evapoate but you have to heat the mixture, making this is more dangerous than with butane oil as an open flame could ignite the fumes from the iso, plus you will get a more potent oil from the BHO.

right now im trying to find another way to make oil from kief, where you use a different solvent, like methanol, which is what they do in morocco to make there oil, they mix evap/slow heat/mix evap and then mix and set fire and heat up and stir until you have a good consistency. the how to on this method was vague so my instructions are useless. i need to find other ways to make besides putting the keif into a honey bee xtracter, doesnt sound like it would work as good as it does with buds, you know what i mean guys>. anyways i work with methanol on a daily basis and that stuff is right toxic :s but it evaporates much much faster than butane, especially with heat or some help with the spray of an air hose. but i dont know how pure or tasty the turn out product will be. ive made iso hash but never sucessfully made iso oil, everytime the iso dried up the hash did with it...personally, iso is the worst ive worked with, the taste never fully recovered even with weeks of air/dry time. so i might as well ask everyone out ther, does anyone have a good method of turning KEIF into oil

Methanol does not evaporate faster than butane. It is a liquid at room temperature and normal atmospheric pressure (BP 149°F), whereas butane is not (BP 31.1°F).

Just thought I'd mention that.

Liquids may change to a vapor at temperatures below their boiling points through the process of evaporation. Evaporation is a surface phenomenon in which molecules located near the liquid's edge, not contained by enough liquid pressure on that side, escape into the surroundings as vapor. On the other hand, boiling is a process in which molecules anywhere in the liquid escape, resulting in the formation of vapor bubbles within the liquid.(wikipedia)

guess i was wrong, and this makes total sense. but what if they were both at there boiling points, would that be enough info to declare that the 2 different substances will dissapear at the same rate???

Back
Top Bottom