Marijuana Delays Suspect's Court Date

Wilbur

A Goldsboro man who arrived in court to answer his fourth driving while intoxicated charge ended up in more hot water Monday after authorities found drugs in his possession and discovered that his blood alcohol content was more than three times the legal limit.

Robert Lee Quinn's latest troubles with the law began as soon as he walked into the front door at the Wayne County Courthouse -- literally.

As he headed through the security stand, Quinn, 40, of Kearney Lane, threw his personal effects into a white bowl at about 9 a.m. But instead of retrieving his items and heading to court as planned, Quinn found himself in the presence of a Goldsboro police officer.

Quinn's encounter with Goldsboro police Officer Jeremy Sutton began after a security guard alleged Quinn tossed a bag of marijuana into the bowl -- instead of the typical set of keys, spare change or a cell phone.

"He threw marijuana down at the courthouse," Goldsboro police Officer Sgt. G.N. Lynch said. "He was stopped and approached by an officer. He was arrested and brought before a magistrate judge, who gave him a $1,000 unsecured bond."

Quinn became verbally abusive when he was brought before the magistrate judge for a bond hearing on a simple possession of marijuana charge that was levied against him Monday.

"He was cursing at the magistrate judge because he said he had a court date," Lynch said. "He was taken before District Court Judge Les Turner and was given 30 days for contempt after they figured out he was intoxicated in the courtroom."

Quinn was given a breathalyzer. His BAC registered at .35, Lynch said. The legal limit is .08.

Quinn was shocked when he learned the results of the breathalyzer.

"I blew a .35. I should be dead," court officials said Quinn told the judge.

For the infraction, Judge Turner ordered Quinn to spend 30 days in the county lockup, Lynch said.

Details regarding what criminal charge brought Quinn to the courthouse was unavailable at presstime. The marijuana possession charge, however, is still pending. Quinn is scheduled to answer that charge on Dec. 5 in District Court, officials said.

Courthouse security guards are surprised by the number of people who try to enter the courthouse with drugs in their possession.

One visitor reportedly placed his crack pipe and crack ******* in the bowl and attempted to enter the courthouse. In September, another visitor allegedly threw a homemade marijuana pipe in the bowl at the security stand and tried to enter. After she was detained, police allegedly found marijuana in her purse.

Newshawk: User - 420 Magazine
Source: Goldsboro News-Argus
Pubdate: 21 November 2006
Author: Lee Williams
Copyright: 2006 Goldsboro News-Argus

I would never carry drugs in, but.... I got called for jury duty a few years ago. Well I thought I would never get picked anyway so I was gonna get BLAZED and go to the jury selection thing. What a trip that was. I made sure I didn't smell and I used plent of eye drops. It was a fun day till I got picked. Then I just went ahead and got stoned every chance I got, so every morning there I would be big cup of coffee and a sedated smile on my face.

User said:
Quinn was given a breathalyzer. His BAC registered at .35, Lynch said. The legal limit is .08.

For the infraction, Judge Turner ordered Quinn to spend 30 days in the county lockup, Lynch said.

.35 is truly in the "death" range. He'd had have to have pounded 26 shots in a hour? I'm wondering how he managed to walk through the door in the first place, but i'm not suprised his wits were a slow and he tossed in sack in the screeners cup.

This guys really needs help, it might take 30 days to get him sober

Back
Top Bottom