Marijuana Question Raises Some

As they await the implementation of a ballot initiative that decriminalized the possession of an ounce or less of marijuana, police and prosecutors here remain uncertain what kind of adjustments they will have to make.

About two-thirds of Bay State voters approved Question 2 on Tuesday's ballot, instituting a $100 fine for possession of marijuana in lieu of a criminal charge. Proponents of the measure argued that the civil fine was a more appropriate punishment for simple marijuana possession than a criminal record. On Wednesday, Hampden District Attorney William M. Bennett, said he will drop all pending charges of marijuana possession of an ounce or less and cease prosecuting new cases. Both Bennett and Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth D. Scheibel were outspoken opponents of Question 2. However, Scheibel's office said Friday that it will take a more cautious approach.

Deputy First Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth Dunphy Farris said Scheibel plans to meet with her fellow district attorneys before deciding how to respond to the impacts of Question 2.

"The district attorney is open to determining what to do with pending cases," Farris said. "A uniform approach would be helpful."

Secretary of State William F. Galvin is expected to present the election results to the Governor's Council in early December. Once the council certifies those results, it will take another 30 days for the law to go into effect. In the meantime, a mechanism for issuing fines needs to be worked out. Northampton Police Chief Russell P. Sienkiewicz said he is uncertain how the fines will be processed and what governmental entity will handle the money.

"The civil regulatory structure doesn't exist now," he said.

Sienkiewicz said it is also unclear how police officers are supposed to determine if an amount of marijuana exceeds an ounce when dealing with people on the street. Both Sienkiewicz and Dunphy Farris also said it remains to be seen how much privacy Question 2 will ensure someone caught with marijuana. Although marijuana possession no longer constitutes a crime, there will be a record of the fine on police logs, Sienkiewicz said.

According to Dunphy Farris, the majority of people arrested for marijuana possession in Hampshire and Franklin counties are diverted into substance abuse programs while their cases are continued. Once they successfully complete those programs, the charges are usually dropped.

Between July 1, 2006 and Sept. 23, 2008, only 88 of the more than 1,700 marijuana possession cases in the Northwestern District Attorney's jurisdiction resulted in a guilty finding, Dunphy Farris said.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: MassLive.com
Author: FRED CONTRADA
Copyright: 2008 MassLive.com

On Wednesday, Hampden District Attorney William M. Bennett, said he will drop all pending charges of marijuana possession of an ounce or less and cease prosecuting new cases.

Even though he opposed the measure; an ethical pol that respects the will of the voters; too bad his bretheren aren't all like this

In the meantime, a mechanism for issuing fines needs to be worked out. Northampton Police Chief Russell P. Sienkiewicz said he is uncertain how the fines will be processed and what governmental entity will handle the money.

"The civil regulatory structure doesn't exist now," he said.

Try using your parking tickets pad. This sounds like whining to me, how tough could this be

Sienkiewicz said it is also unclear how police officers are supposed to determine if an amount of marijuana exceeds an ounce when dealing with people on the street.

This is ridiculous; if it fills a garbage bag it's a clue it's probably too much. If it's in a baggy and comes out of someones pocket - leave em alone.

Both Sienkiewicz and Dunphy Farris also said it remains to be seen how much privacy Question 2 will ensure someone caught with marijuana. Although marijuana possession no longer constitutes a crime, there will be a record of the fine on police logs, Sienkiewicz said.

Let's see, you are no longer going to arrest me and I'm only getting a ticket and I get to walk away - and you think I'm going to be pissed about my name being on the ticket?

According to Dunphy Farris, the majority of people arrested for marijuana possession in Hampshire and Franklin counties are diverted into substance abuse programs while their cases are continued. Once they successfully complete those programs, the charges are usually dropped.

Well this racket has just come to an abrupt end.

Between July 1, 2006 and Sept. 23, 2008, only 88 of the more than 1,700 marijuana possession cases in the Northwestern District Attorney's jurisdiction resulted in a guilty finding, Dunphy Farris said.

This is un-freakin-believable and a perfect illustration of the failed war on drugs. All those disrupted lives, all that money spent, and a 5% win rate.

I'd say this law came just in time and if the pols in Mass don't think so; too bad, the voters have spoken.

Back
Top Bottom