Marijuana Seizures Jump by Thousands of Plants in Kentucky

XLE420

Throughout Kentucky, marijuana plants are growing amid unsuspecting farmers' corn crops and in wooded areas off rural roads, according to the Kentucky State Police, which is working with other agencies to crack down on the illegal business.

Already this year, local, state and federal agencies have cut down and destroyed tens of thousands more plants than they did by this time last year.

By mid-July 2005, police had found 162,493 plants around the state. This year, a state police task force alone has found 226,497 plants, valued by authorities at nearly a half-billion dollars, said Lt. Ed Shemelya, who heads the marijuana eradication program for the state police.

And this year's numbers don't include plants that individual state police posts have found. In a three-day span last week, for instance, the Madisonville post found nearly 1,500 plants.

While most marijuana distributed in the United States still is imported from Mexico, about 2,500 metric tons is produced in the U.S. each year, according to the national Office of Drug Control Policy.

Most of that is grown in seven states -- including Kentucky, said Scott Burns, a deputy director of the national office. Tennessee, West Virginia, California, Washington, Oregon and Hawaii round out the top growing states.

The national drug control office is in its second year of focusing its efforts and resources in those states; it provides $3.5 million for eradication efforts nationwide, with most of the money spent in the top seven states.

To find plants, police use helicopters and patrol areas where they've found plants before or have gotten tips, said Trooper Stu Recke with the Madisonville post.

Some arrests have been made, but it's difficult because the plants are grown in remote areas and it's hard to catch people in the act, Shemelya said.

Last year, 117 people were arrested for cultivating marijuana, which is a felony that carries up to five years in prison.

Shemelya said he believes some growers think the "reward far exceeds the possible risks right now."

But Recke added, "the main thing is that we get the dope and we destroy it. If they don't have it, they can't sell it."

Newshawk: SX420 - 420 Magazine
Source: Courier Journal
Author: Jessie Halladay
Copyright: 2005 The Courier-Journal
Website: courier-journal.com: News from Louisville, Kentucky

Some of us look at jail as our retirement plan...
room, board and health care ....

Much rather it be legal so we could afford those things on our own.

I hope they don't get any federal money for the "value" they put on it.
Weren't even ripe yet, ain't got no value.

DaMagoMan said:
I hope they don't get any federal money for the "value" they put on it.
Weren't even ripe yet, ain't got no value.

The way the police are they usually put the maximum value they can get away with even if they are seedlings. In one apartment building my old company used to do security for a grow op was found by undercover cops which had about 150 plants and in the report they just said that it was a bust worth $150k even though the large majority of the plants weren't even flowering yet.

Re: KY-ne bud

POTLESS said:
I just moved to TN and I'm just wondering where is all this weed I keep hearing about growing all around me? I think I should have moved to KY instead. Plants just growing along the road side? Man. What a mecca.

OverGrow the World, Brother ... Put that Badseed to good use.
they busy removin' the ones we broadcast
then they's gonna be to busy to look for the patch.

Cartels do it all the time, 10 boats knowin' a few won't make it.
Or maybe drop a dime and smoke out a DEA UC but just lose one.

Oh damn. I think it may be time for me to move. There are a lot of heilcopters flying around sometimes. A lot of people do grow stuff in the woods, and other peoples fields.

Who says that every grower would sell what they have. i think that people killing eachother is more important than destroying our BEAUTIFUL EARTH, no matter what it is. These have more potential than most know and lets hope that these big DRUG ENFORCEMENT COPS realize that coke and crack is what is killing AMERICA HOME OF THE FUCKING FREE! Alcohol tears more families apart than pot would, BELIEVE ME I HAVE SEEN IT. I would rather put up with a pot head than an alcoholic. The only thing about pot that tears up a family is going to jail for a simple possession charge that would be avoided if the crooks (i mean the politicians) would vote YES, YES, YES......FISTS HIGH LEGALIZE. Thanks for reading my rant! :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom