Marijuana Vs. Parkinsonism

Johnny

(MOLALLA, Ore.) - I must say as a professional pharmacologist and physician I have given up being surprised when I read about marijuana being effective for yet another disease condition.

Parkinsonism affects about one percent of patients over 65 years old but there is a juvenile form as well.

I had a television program for about 5 years while I was helping patients get medical marijuana permits. My partner had a system through which he could get any article from anywhere on the computer about marijuana/cannabis.

One of the programs reported on marijuana for Parkinsonism from the Charles University in Prague, Checkoslovackia, that country's most prominent medical school.

Marijuana as folk medicine has been used in Eastern Europe for several hundred years. The peasants there probably know more about marijuana therapeutics than most American doctors.

I was intrigued by this medical report so I immediately turned on my computer. Sure enough there were many postings about marijuana vs. Parkinsonism. The strange thing was that some articles said marijuana had no effect against the tremors while some said it even caused tremors.

I had never heard this. As a matter of fact marijuana/cannabis is effective for Multiple sclerosis, Epilepsy, Tourettes, possibly ALS (Lou Gehrigs disease) and many other movement disorders. Why should it not be effective for Parkinsonism?

Getting back to Charles University, they had about two hundred Parkinsonism patients who theoretically had never used marijuana/cannabis. I scarcely believe that. They reported the effectiveness of marijuana/cannabis for Parkinsonism in the journal, Movement Disorders. I wasn't able to find the article or the details but it is effective for other movement disorders, so why not?

Dr. Tod Mikuriya reported marijuana/cannabis to be effective treatment for about 200 various disease processes. It shouldn't surprise anyone to add this to the list. I can hear, in my own mind, neurologists scratching their heads and howling," What's wrong with carbidopa except that it doesn't seem to work long-term?"

Newshawk: JohnnyPotSmoker: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Salem-News.com
Copyright: 2008 Salem-News.com
Contact: Salem-News.Com News from Salem Oregon and the surrounding region.

I am someone who has an epilepsy condition. I used a variety of drugs to try and control my seizures. Although I still take pharmaceuticals, I know that MMJ has helped to minimize the amount that I have to take. And even with reducing my amount of pills I take each day, I am still 2 years with no grand mals.

My grandfather passed away from Parkinson's several years ago. I hope that more research for the use of marijuana will help to alleviate the symptoms of this nasty disease.

"Dr. Tod Mikuriya reported marijuana/cannabis to be effective treatment for about 200 various disease processes."

Good for you Doc!

Back
Top Bottom