Marine Wants Marijuana Regulated Properly So Patients Can Use It To Ease Pain

Jacob Bell

A U.S. Marine who spent six months in Operation Enduring Freedom and has a severe back injury has found some relief in legally using marijuana three times a week.

Spec. 4 Chris Swift, a 31-year-old Waterford Township father of two with his current wife, Jaclyn, 27, also spent time in Okinawa Prefecture before being honorably discharged from the Marines on July 20, 2008.

Swift, who went to Parris Island, S.C., for training to be a Marine, also has post-traumatic stress disorder.

He was involved in a severe car accident while stationed near San Diego and has degenerative disc disease in his lower back, he said.

He is applying for Social Security Disability Income, and he and his wife, and two young girls, live on his $500 a month in veteran's benefits, he said. In addition, the family receives food stamps. His wife just gave birth to their second child and plans "to go back to school to study to be an ultrasound tech."

His apartment rent is $499 a month and says his family is only making it because his wife's family is financially helping them.

"After I got into that car accident, I couldn't run, my back was sore and my legs were killing me," he said.

He said a truck ran a red light near the San Diego base and his car T-boned the truck. He suffered a head injury and needed several staples to close the wound.

"After a couple of weeks the pain in my back started building," said the 6-foot, 250-pound Swift. "I also have numbness in my legs, thighs or my calves."

Doctors tried several methods to reduce his pain, including manipulation by a chiropractor, electrical nerve stimulation, massage and then, eventually, narcotic drugs such as hydrocodone, muscle relaxers and tranquilizers.

"I still managed to only sleep an hour or 90 minutes a night," said Swift. "(There have been times) when I've had less than 10 hours of sleep over a several-day period."

So Swift applied for the Michigan Medical Marihuana card in June 2009. The card must be renewed annually.

On Nov. 4, 2008, Michigan voters approved the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act. It is administered by the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Health Professions.

To obtain a marijuana card, one must "have a qualifying debilitating medical condition as listed on the Attending Physician's Statement," the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs states on its website.

Your physician also must be licensed to practice in Michigan.

You, or a designated primary caregiver, may grow your marijuana. However, there is no place in the state of Michigan to legally purchase medical marijuana.

In addition, the Michigan Medical Marihuana Program does not give information to patients where they can legally buy seeds to grow the drug.

If you are too ill to grow your own marijuana, a caregiver can acquire 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana and grow up to 12 plaints for a qualifying patient. The caregiver may "assist" up to five patients.

On Aug. 31, however, the state Court of Appeals ruled marijuana sales by dispensaries were illegal. It is unclear how long dispensaries will remain closed, as the ruling likely will be appealed to the Michigan Supreme Court.

Swift said after he was certified by a doctor as having a degenerative condition that leaves him with chronic pain, he registered as a patient by filling out the state application and was approved to use marijuana.

His medical costs for the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act card were between $200 to $300, he estimated.

He said the cost of marijuana at dispensaries ranged from $180 an ounce up to $400 or $500, depending on brand and potency.

He said it takes up to "eight or nine months" to grow about a half-ounce of marijuana on a plant.

Swift said using marijuana three times a week has again made him "functional."

"When I wake up in the morning, I am in pain and have to stretch all parts of my body before I can move," he said. "It (marijuana) also helps me to sleep better and calms down my anxieties" from his experiences in the Middle East conflict.

"I can't speak for everyone but it definitely helps me function," he said.

State lawmakers and law enforcement officials should "look at the law carefully to see what needs regulating," so illegal sales are not made, Swift said.

"My theory would be to have one dispensary in each county and every registered patient could get the first 2.5 ounces of marijuana a month free. Thereafter, you pay."

He said dispensaries should be run by the state.

"The problem right now is that too many people are trying to get their hands on it to make a profit," Swift said. "It should be regulated so that it is used properly to relieve pain and not abused. I see it as if you are using it and not abusing it, there is no problem."

He said his wife is "glad I've found a way to ease my pain so that I am functional."

Taking pain medication, muscle relaxers and tranquilizers can "leave you as being a zombie all day," and that is not good, he said.

abb7.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: sourcenewspapers.com
Author: Jerry Wolffe
Copyright: Source Newspapers
Website: Marine wants marijuana regulated properly so patients can use it to ease pain

Dude you have your head screwed on straight. You make more sense than most people and in your situation with your problems is a miracle. Good Luck and don't give up the fight. :thumb::thumb::bravo::bravo::bravo: RD :peace::peace::peace:

Back
Top Bottom