Matt Allen of MPAA, "Odds (For Medical Marijuana) Are Definitely In Our Favor"

Matt Allen of Massachusetts Patients Advocacy Alliance is working to make medical marijuana a reality in Massachusetts. With two upcoming film screenings, medical marijuna lobbying at the State House, and his continuing work reaching out to medical patients, I'm happy to get a moment of his time for a quick update on the prospect for medical marijuana in MA.

Matt, tell us about you organization, Massachusetts Patient Advocacy Alliance? What's the purpose and goals for the org?

MPAA works with medical marijuana patients, their families, doctors, nurses, and other advocacy groups to support policies which would allow people with serious illnesses safe access to medical marijuana when it is recommended by their doctor. We are working to pass H. 2160, the medical marijuana bill now at the State House, which would start a medical marijuana program in Massachusetts just like the one that exists right now in Rhode Island.

You've been working up at the State House with some MA representatives? How have they received you at the State House?

You know, we have a lot of supporters at the State House, like Rep. Smizik, lead sponsor of House Bill 2160, the medical marijuana bill we support. On the Senate side, Tom McGee has been a long time supporter. Nonetheless, I think the problem is a lot of legislators perceive this issue as much more controversial than it really is. Even though polls show 81% of Massachusetts residents support this reform, some politicians are afraid that if they support it, they will be seen as being soft on the drug issue. As you know, for any legislator, being perceived as being tough on crime and promoting public safety is the best way to get votes. Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation out there, and when we talk about medical marijuana, what first comes to mind for a lot of people is the medical marijuana program in California, which isn’t regulated very well. For instance, you hear a lot of stories about how anybody in California can get a medical marijuana recommendation, and that there are more dispensaries than Starbucks in Los Angeles. When we explain that the program we support is based on the existing program in Rhode Island, which contains a much more stringent state regulation at all levels, legislators seem to be more responsive.

Any news or insight as to why after all the phone calls to Rep. Sanchez's office and the seemingly only positive testimony at state hearings, nothing has happened?

It is easy to get frustrated when a common sense reform like this one isn’t quickly passed through Committee, but at the same time we have to remember that there are literally thousands of bills which are introduced at the State House every year, with different advocacy groups all asking legislators to support their issue. If anything is holding this bill back, it is probably the fear that medical marijuana programs will lead to increased access to marijuana by youth. Now, we know from studies done in states with medical marijuana laws that this is not the case. Also, the degree of regulation of the supply and sales of medical marijuana under the proposed legislation would prevent any diversion of marijuana to recreational users. So this is not a legitimate concern, but it is a perception we have to deal with. I think that those legislators who are not on board need to be held accountable refusing to support a compassionate policy which could help thousands of people suffering from cancer, pain, and other debilitating diseases. I really question the priorities of legislators who are concerned about the political costs of helping dying and suffering patients.

What do you think the odds are right now for medical marijuana passing through the MA State House in the next couple of years?

I think the odds are definitely in our favor. Just look at what is happening around the country- New Jersey just passed a medical marijuana law, there have been expansions of the programs in Vermont and Maine, and it seems like everyday there is more attention to the issue. I think what is really positive right now is that there are so many studies and medical groups getting on board that it just isn’t feasible for opponents to claim that marijuana has no legitimate medical use.

Or do you see it coming through ballot initiative again? Any news on ballot initiatives? I've heard it's not likely to be funded by MPP in the near future is that true?

There are absolutely no plans to fund a ballot initiative on this issue in the future. Instead, we are counting on legislators to respect the wishes of 81% of Massachusetts residents by enacting a compassionate medical marijuana law.

You have two medical marijuana film screenings coming up one at Clark University in Worcester and the other at BU. What film are you showing and what can one who attends expect at those events?

We are going to show “Waiting to Inhale” which is an award-winning documentary about medical marijuana. After the movie, we are going to have a panel discussion with me, some medical marijuana patients, and legal professionals to discuss the bill we support, answer questions from the audience, and try to get more people involved in the campaign.

What should people in MA be doing right now to make medical marijuana a reality?

Call Public Health Chairman Jeffrey Sanchez and Speaker of the House Robert DeLeo and ask them to support this bill. It will only take a few minutes, and it will make a difference! Thanks to you Mike and all your readers for their on going support.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: Examiner.com
Author: Mike Cann
Copyright: 2010 Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a Examiner.com
Website: Matt Allen of MPAA, "Odds (for medical marijuana) are definitely in our favor"

Back
Top Bottom