Medical Marijuana and the elderly.

Thepurplem0nkey

As some of you have seen, I've been posting updates on the medical marijuana treatment for my grandfather. I just thought id post a little blurb for people who know senior's who may benefit for medical marijuana. I administered two separate strains to my grandfather so far. I am typing this out to give to my grandfather's doctor. I will update this "journal" as I administer medical MJ to my grandfather. Feel free to show this to people who may benefit from this plant's multiple uses.

Subject: Gampy M0nkey
Weight: 117 Lbs

Recuperating from colon cancer surgery. Has pains in lower body, has no appetite, no thirst, and is suffering from weight loss and weakness of body from weight loss.

INDICA: "Puffsi" cola, hash oil in soda pop. He took 4-5 small swallows over the period of 30-40 minutes. Effects kicked in approx 20 minutes after first swallow.

The Good: I could tell the drink had kicked in not by any change in attitude from my grandfather, but by his body movement. TO my surprise, he began loosening his body, as if he was relaxed, and asked me to take his socks off so his feet could hang out beneath his covers. Since Indica is a BODY high, and for ME makes my skin sensitive, I suspect my grandfather was feeling some relief in body aches and pain, and his skin was probably more sensitive.
He turned on his side which he was hardly doing before, and vocally claimed a craving for KFC chicken. He ate more than usual when my mom gave him dinner.

The Bad: My grandfather seems to have suffered a bit of paranoia with this indica drink. When my mother tried feeding him a blue m&m, he questioned what it was, as if she was trying to poison him. When she gave him a slice of banana, he asked what "she put in it".

Residual Effects: The next day, my grandfather ate, and for the first time in months, exclaimed joy at the taste, of KFC chicken. He walked a bit more, and has shown signs of modest appetite growth.

SATIVA: I administered 4 drops of a hash oil pill to my grandfather 3 days later. I let the drops fall into the creamy center of a mini Oreo cookie. Effects took 15 minutes to kick in.

The Good: The effects took a stunningly short time to set in. Significantly faster than the drink, which surprised me because I assumed liquid would dissolve into his system faster than solids.
He began to have a mood change this time around, as I noticed a broad grin come across his face as he looked at his family (My mom, I, and my girl friend). He began to have fits of giggles and laughter at various things said in conversations. He jokingly referred to various hospital staff as "narcs", and seemed to find it hilarious when my mother and girl friend began chatting away (as women do amongst one another). Mood enhancement was completely beneficial, as it got my grandfather engaged in conversation (his vocal cords were damaged since they removed the breathing tubes.) and brought humorous and uplifting feelings, enough to cause laughter, from my grandfather.
Appetite stimulation was a definite effect this time around. MY grandfather ate a full cup of ice cream, as well as a shake, some cookies, and a vitamin drink. He also drank high amounts of water.
Memory stimulation was also a beneficial side effect. My grandfather began, on his own accord, verbally recollecting smoking a hash pipe in India during World War 2 (My grandfather was a "Merrill's Marauder" pacific fighter. A WW2 history buff should know who they were.). He claimed that the effects of medical marijuana were significantly stronger and the hash he smoked in India.

The Bad: My grandfather at one point after a laughing fit, when asked what was so funny, said he couldn't collect his thoughts. This didn't seem to bother him, but this could be regarded as a bad effect worthy of note. I think this may be a dosage problem as well.

Conclusion: Medical Marijuana has shown beneficial properties for body aches, food stimulation, mood enhancement, and memory stimulation. Some side effects based on initial dosing trials, may include some feelings of paranoia trouble with concentration. These negative effects are completely temporary, completely gone within 3 hours of initial onset of medication. Most negative effects are a result of over dosing. I will continue to administer medication and will alter dosage and strain to try to eliminate the negative effects, while enhancing the positive.

I plan, in 2 days, to administer 2 drops of an indica hash oil pill, and 2 drops of a sativa hash oil pill.
-PM

Very interesting, to me it sounds as if the Sativa is the way to go, maybe a 3/4 sativa and 1/4 indica mix would work well.

excellent documentation of the progress.

sounds like things are going well
also.... does the rest of your family know about this?

Third Dosage: My mother put 4 "large drops" of hash oil into some ice cream of Sativa hash oil pills.

The Good: My grandfather ate much more than usual while under the influence. He was jovial and happy, according to my mothers repot.

The Bad: Happy to say, nothing this time. No complaints about parnaoia OR scrambled thoughts.

As for family knowing, yes my family knows. Ive been a med pot patient for over a year, and my grandmother began using medicinal marijuana a few months ago for back pain. My mom finaly got hte nerve to administer the drug to my grandfather, but she doesnt use it herself.
-PM

man, u are one lucky dude to have ur whole family supporting u for ur grandpa and grandma.. that is frickin cool! i wish my grandparents were like that.. they are totally against marijuana.. i tried talking to my grandpa about it cause he is 78 yrs. old and told him that marijuana is not bad at all.. he lost one of his leg in the WWII gulf war.. so i want to get him to like marijuana , so he can try some and feel alot better than he usually is.. but anywayz, PM its funny how to u get to see ur grandpa acted on those pills.. lol

Fourth Dosage: Gave my grandfather some med pot tonight. THis time, I upped the dosage to 5 fat drops (again, into the center of an oreo cookie. This time,I scraped some extra icing from ANOTHER oreo to give it more icing). My grandfather gobbled it down.

The Good: He ate the cookie with plenty of water, and the high began in about 15 minutes. But this was a slow, gradual high.WIthin 45 minutes of taking the pill, he was COMPLETELY medicated. It was a slow, smooth climb.
He again became increasingly jovial and humor filled as the medicine kicked in. He mentioned, "I am an old, retired, respectable man. Now I run a drug den", in a joking manner. He said he felkt good. When I asked if I gave him too much with 5 drops, he said no, not at all. He got into spats of giggles about an hour after ingestion. When eating some icre cream, he began laughing at the spoon. I put this in the positive because he was feeliung good and humorous, but not out of control. In other words, he felt goofey, but was not dumbed down by the medicine. He laughed heartily when I told him I had some medicine before I came to the hospital, because I didn't want him being the only one having fun.
He ate and drank plenty. He ate and drank more than the calroie intake he must ingest to gain weight (2000 cals I think).

The Bad: While 5 drops seems to be the ideal doseage in terms of mood and apetiite stimulation, it did play with my grandfathers short term memory. He did frequently forget that he had a room mate. THis could be attributed to my grandfathers already bad short term memory, but his short term memory was decreased.

Conclusion: Medical marijuana yet again helped my grandfather consume ample amounts of calories, lifted his spirits, while confusing him a bit on some details of his room mate when the medicine was at its full strength. THis seemed an event rade off, since his memory nor comprehension of myself or my mother was ever impaired. Certinaly, he asked every 15 minutes how my new job was, but he has done that for the past 5 years :) 5 large drops seems to be the right doseage for my grandfather. I may still try something new, such as one drop of indica oil and 4 of sativa, to see if the indica traits meld well with the sativa traights with my grandfather. Since no indica oil is available at this moment in time, that may have to wait.
I suggest if anyone else is considering administering medical marijuana to the elderly or disabled, take note of your doesage and lower or raise according to effects.
-PM

I'm glad you were able to make this such a pleasant experience for everyone involved.

My Pepere rarely smiles anymore; he's a grumpy old man (I don't get to see him much -- I live away) but at a wedding this fall I got him laughing and it made me happy to see him laugh. I imagine that the feeling you get from helping you grandfather is tenfold.

They're old, they should at least be allowed the comfort of comfort itself.

Fifth Dosage: My mother informed me that she gave my grandfather 4 drops of the hash oil pill tonight.

My mother says that my grandfather had the giggles again, and ate and drank easier than he normaly does. She did not mention any bad effects.

-PM

6th and 7th dosage.
I have administered 2 more doses of medical marijuana to my grandfather. Both times, I used 4 medium sized drops of hash oil (from a hash oil pill).

The Good: My grandfather seems to look forward to these medication periods, jokingly singing "Happy Days are Here Again" when I mention this. While this is certainly a unique aspect of my grandfather's personality, I must note my grandfather's positive attitude towards the medication, in that it's being viewed by him as more of a fun, novelty activity as opposed to a serious, beneficial medical procedure. I view positive enjoyment of medication much more beneficial and satisfying to my grandfather's health in general.
My grandfather seems to have completely adjusted and acclimated to the medication and its intoxicating effects. He doesn't become paranoid, nor does he become confused or scatterbrained when medicated. Overall, he feels happy, feels relaxed, and enjoys the euphoria the medication provides without being "ripped" or "blasted" to the point of being uncomfortable.
My grandfather's appetite has strengthened. He is eating more frequently, is much more alert, and looks healthier.
While medicated, my grandfather enjoys talking, or listening to people talk. He drinks and eats much more than he normal would. This has been a consistent positive effect throughout this experience. Again, even if he doesn't feel hunger from the medication, his willingness to eat is increased, while his reluctance and stubbornness are decreased. Because he is calmed and euphoric, he has no desire to argue or fight the fact that he must ingest calories, so he does so with a smile, as opposed to the arguing and refusals to eat when not medicated.

Bad: Not much to report here. The only bad effect I've noticed is my grandfather's paranoia at getting caught using the medicine. The odd thing is, this paranoia isn't experienced while medicated, but prior. During my last visit, I prepared his medicine by dropping 4 drops in a piece of moon pie. When I handed him the medicated moon pie bite, a nurse entered the room to check on his room mate. My grandfather immediately stashed the piece under his sheet, and began starting a fake conversation with me as if we had been having it before the nurse came in.
He also seems to think that I own and run a cannabis club, and is worried that I will get busted by the feds. While I WISH I owned a cannabis club, and have talked to him about the possibility of opening one up someday, I own no such shop at this time.
While these negative effects are not directly related to the medical marijuana, I think it's worthy to note them. Many seniors may be reluctant to try this medication due to fear of the law. I assured my grandfather that what he was doing was legal in the state of California, and that his own doctor had recommended its use. This explanation usually solves the issue.

Comments: My grandfather's health continues to improve. If he continues to gain weight, and continues to improve as he has this past month, his doctor estimates he will leave in about 1 more month. This is extremely god news. I don't expect my grandfather to live forever. He is 85 years old, and nearing the end of his life. Te purpose of my seeking medical marijuana for him was not to necessarily prolong his life in ay miraculous way. My only hope for this medication was that it would bring SOME relief to my grandfather. As it turns out, this drug provided extremely potent pain relief, along with mood enhancement, appetite stimulation, and quite possibly will be a large factor in my grandfather returning home.
-PM

Update: GOod news! I started my grandfather on some new meds. Sativa oil drops. THey seem to induce the munchies real well. My grandfather has gained a STAGGERING 6 pounds over the last 2 weeks!!!!! Furthermore, he has begun to eat on his own. When asked what started this, his response was "I think it's the cannabis that M0nkey's been giving me".
He doesnt get "high" now either. His body gets relaxed, and he gets the munchies.
-PM

Thepurplem0nkey said:
Update: GOod news! I started my grandfather on some new meds. Sativa oil drops. THey seem to induce the munchies real well. My grandfather has gained a STAGGERING 6 pounds over the last 2 weeks!!!!! Furthermore, he has begun to eat on his own. When asked what started this, his response was "I think it's the cannabis that M0nkey's been giving me".
He doesnt get "high" now either. His body gets relaxed, and he gets the munchies.
-PM
Awesome news man.

Man, that is so awesome. Congrats on helping your gramps to get to this point.

GOod news. My grandfather is being discharged and returning home this THURSDAY!!!!! I am so stoked. THis could not have been accomplished WITHOUT medical marijuana, and no government agency or uninformed civillian will ever convince me differently!
-PM

Thepurplem0nkey said:
GOod news. My grandfather is being discharged and returning home this THURSDAY!!!!! I am so stoked. THis could not have been accomplished WITHOUT medical marijuana, and no government agency or uninformed civillian will ever convince me differently!
-PM
That's awesome man!
Hey dude, start visiting the boards more often like you used to, we miss you over here...

Congrats

Mr. PM, happy to hear your grandpa's on the mend. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom