Medical Marijuana and the elderly.

Heh. Starting a few months ago, I began working 2 jobs instead of the regular ONE I've been working at for the past few years, and the second job is grooming me for a full time position. FUrthermore, I have been traveling a bit more to training seminars and dealing with the fitting proceedure of custom contact lenses for my eye disease (which has been fucking TORTURE over this pat month let me tell ya).My time has been limited, so I post when I can. When I FINALY get hired full time somewhere and my scheadule is a bit more fluid (2 days out of the week my workday is over 13 hours X_X), you'll probably see my usual mass postage ;-)
And thanks for the kind words about my grandfather. I have tried to keep this thread filled with truthfull information about how marijuana affects my 85 year old grandfather, in the hopes that other people might find its benefits helpfull to elderly people in need. LIke I have stated before in this thread, BEFORE the med pot, my family was saying our goodbbyes to my grandfather. After some initial dosing issues, his recovery in weight gain and mood enahncement was almost instantaneous. When doesage was lowered or not frequent, his weight gain stopped. And when the Sativa drops began at a regular level (almost every day), he gained 3 pounds each week, for two weeks! Even with the hunger inducing medicine that the place made him drink (which he absolutely hated), he would NOT EAT! Only med pot got him this far. I sincerely hope other people who are dying slowly because of weight issues or hunger issues truely consider this alternative medicine, that can be smoked, drank, eaten, topicaly applied or vaporized. Im not claiming it is some sort of miricle drug to cure all ills. BUt if you have tried all else, and nothing is working to your satisfaction, then please consider medical marijuana.
-PM

Update: Grampd has been home a few days now. He's loving it! My mom told him tonight taht "You can have Wine with your dinner, or cannabis." (NOTE: DONT mix alcohol and cannabis together for an elderly individual, its extremely disorienting and disabling). He said "I think I'll have the cannabis". At 85 years old, the cannabis oil seems to be the right concoction for my grandfather!
-PM

Thepurplem0nkey said:
My mom told him tonight taht "You can have Wine with your dinner, or cannabis." (NOTE: DONT mix alcohol and cannabis together for an elderly individual, its extremely disorienting and disabling). He said "I think I'll have the cannabis".
That's awesome!

UPDATE AND FOLLOWUP: My girlfriend and I visited my grandfather today, now about a week out of the hospital. What a change! I cooked up some pasta, with some marijuana shrimp and crab sauce, plus some garlic bread. Not only did he eat his whole helping on his own without making a fuss, but he also drank his entire beer (that he asked for). He actually liked the pasta, and obviously enjoyed his beer. This is a stark contrast of when he was in the hospital and would refuse the even smallest of bites, claiming it tasted odd or he was not hungry. The change in appetite and taste occurred only after administrations of medical marijuana. During the brief period my mother slacked in administrating it, his appetite and taste levels were again thrown out off whack.
After dinner, I administered another dose of medical marijuana to my grandfather. 5 drops of sativa tincture. The bottle claims up to 10 whole dropper-full's may be needed to take effect. My grandfather takes about 5 D R O P S per dosage to feel the effects. A dropper, in my estimate, holds about 20-25 drops when full. My grandfather has hardly dented the bottle after weeks of usage (every other day he takes his medical marijuana). This is VERY cost effective, as the bottle only cost's 17 dollars. (The one he has is oil based, and was more expensive than the alcohol based tincture available. Alcohol based tinctures run for 10 dollars, and would most likely have the same effect, although that is purely speculation on my part.).
He has repeatedly told my mother and me that he prefers this medicine, and I will continue to update this post with follow-ups to my grandfather's use of medical marijuana, in the hopes that this information will be a benefit to others.
-PM

Oh my god, i can't even describe how happy i feel for you, your grandfather and the whole family.
It's just amazing that something as cannabis, being almost every nation in the world's enemy, can actually bring a sick, 85 year old man back to better health :)

Someone asked me how my grandfather was doing, and I remembered I had created this post. So I thought I'd update it.
My grandfather has contnued to make progress in his recovery since my last post. He has remained on a strict regiment of medical marijuana, every day and night. He primarily used a store bought Sativa tincture, but that ran out. Unfortunately, the club that I bought it from was raided and closed, so I had to resort to making my OWN. I went to my local club and bought a half ounce of their top sativa...Maui Wowie. I ground it up and soaked it in Brandy. I let it soak for two weeks, shaking the bottle vigerousley every day. WHen two weeks had passed, I strained the liquid with a coffee filter, and added honey to the liquid to sweeten it up.
My grandfather has been using my "home brew" for about a month and a half now. It continuousley helps his appetite, and his mood. He takes it in the morning to stimulate his apetite, and frequently before every meal, but always at night before bed.
Just today, he was visting my home, and I gave him some of my home brew Indica tincture. The indica tincture was made out of purple strains and vodka (with honey added for sweetness). This strain definately made him hungry, but it made him a bit emotional. He began to cry (out of joy) when I began telling him about my job, and he was very happy things are going my way. This emotional response may have been due to over dosing, as my only way to dose this new medicine was by using a straw as a dropper. I probably gave him too much and the marijuana played with his emotions, as many marijuana userers can attest to having emotional thoughts when really "high". But because the emotions were not negative (sorrow, sadness), I cant say whether this was a negative reaction or not. I leave that up to interpretation.
My mother liked the effect of the Indica in terms of hunger inducement, it seems to work better than the sativa, but the sativa works better for his body and energy, as he was having a hard time walking when he was under the effects of the "couch lock" indica strain. My mother will mix the two, I suggested 2 drops indica, with 4 drops sativa.
I feel the need to make a suggestion to anyone who may be wishing to try this tincture method as well; dont buy the cheap alcohol. I bought the cheapest, store brand vodka/brandy, and even with generous portions of honey, there is a distinct bite of the liquor that could most likely have been avoided had I spent a bit more on the "finer" booze. Just something to keep in mind.
Medical marijuana has allowed my grandfather to recover to a degree my family never thoiught possible. We never expected him to get out of his hospital bed, let alone walk around (periodicaly) WITHOUT the use of his walker. Even my grandfathers alzheimers disease seems to be alleviated as he remembers the past with extreme clarity while under the influence of marijuana. But most imporantly, marijuana has allowed my grandfather and I just a little more time together. With his increasing health, we are able to talk and enjoy each others company. I certainly know that he wont be around forever, that point emphasised by his near death from cancer. But this alternative medication that he has chosen has given us time, and to people who have lost loved ones, theres nothing more precious than time, especially when you know how little of it you have remaining.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how much my home brew cost. I spent approx. 200 dollars on a half ounce of top notch sativa medical marijuana. That provided me with enough tincture to last my grandfather about (estimated) 4-5 months. After adding generous amounts of honey, I was left with a bountiful amount of liquid, which i keep stored in a glass mason jar. I oour about a months supply into a small, glass jar that has a cork in it. t looks EXACTLY like the bottles the GUmmy Bears used in the disney cartoon. THe bottle is dark blue so no light penetrates the liquid. I refill his bottle as needed, once a month or once every month and a half.
-PM

UPDATE: I have a sad update for my continual post regarding medical marijuana and it's effects on the elderly. My grandfather has continued over the last 2 1/2 months to take his miedical marijuana tincture and has mad grat improvements in his mobility and general mood of happiness. His wry wit and sense of humor, classic and unique to gentlemen from his time and of his era, has remained intact; coming out particularly when he was well medicated on medical marijuana, uplifting his mood and bringnig back old memories long forgotten.
My grandfather was able to occasionaly walk a short distance without any type of assitive device, and could get around using his walker. However, about a week ago, he began to stop eating and became very weak. Despite his regiment of medical marijuana, my grandfather's appetite had dissapeared again.
He couldn't get up the other day, he felt too weak, and was ambulanced to the hospital. He has a low blood count which indicates he may be bleeding internaly. My grandfather is coherant and is in GOOD SPIRITS, but we fear some possibilities: 1) His cancer could be back, or it could have done more damage to his internals than originaly thought. This of course is our biggest concern and worry. 2) Some other unknown issue. The only way this can be determined is through an envasive procedure that we dont want to put my grandfather through. However, he didnt remember the other invasive proceedures he underwent, so we are deciding if we want to go through with it or not. Im thinking we will.
While my grandfather's decline in health is certainly attributed to illness due to age at the very least, I am also considering that my home made tincture, which is now 3 months old, might be signifincaly losing it's strength. I dont think this tincture will be good past 3 months, and I am going to make a fresh brew of tincture this week. It really angers me that I have to sruggle to find or make a significant time gap in my work schedule, to drive down to a store not particularly convenient to my location to obtain some of the ingrediants to a tincture, when this type of medicine should be available to California citizens as any prescription pharmcy should be located and allowed to dispense THEIR medicines. Because not only do I have to wait to get these medicines, I have to wait at LEAST 2 weeks for the marijuana to stew in the alcohol to become a potent medicine for my grandfather. That's 2 weeks he might not be able to make, and I COULD be easing his suffering.
Anyway, I'll keep you posted on his status and what the outcome of any tests reveal.
-PM

Wow, thanks for the update, I had no idea this thread existed. I am glad you took the time to update us on his progress. It sounds as though the quality of life improved dramatically over 4 months time. That is good news for people that may suffer the same symptoms involved with this type of cancer. I hope all continues to be well for you and him, PM. :Rasta:

Well, I'm sorry to say, my grandfather does indeed have another cancerous tumor in his body. We have decided as a family that we are not going to operate this time. I visited my grandfather last night, and we said our goodbyes. I was pretty messed up when I left the hospital, I dont know if anyone's been unable to control their emotions no matter how hard they try, but that's where I was at. On the one hand, I am extremely fortunate in that I had the oppertuniy to say everything I wanted to say to my grandfather befoer he passes, and vice versa. If you have someone on their death bed, please...DON'T hesitate in saying evrytingh you've ever wnted to say. It's a very humbling experience, but I am so glad that I did. Thats a gift I will always be thankfull for. I'm going to miss him very very much, and to have him alive, suffering, is a terrible burdeon to live with. I treasure ever minute I get to spend with him now, but in the back of my mind I wish for a quick end. What a conflict of emotion!
He was moved out of the hospital into a nursing home today, where he will be hooked up to a morphine drip. That makes me smile, because I know when my gradnfather leaves, he will be soaring high on medication and feeling no pain. I have decided NOT to make a tincture for him. When he was in the hospital for the original cancer, we forced him to eat every time we were there, and let the tincture stimulate his appetite. But now, we are going to make his last days as comfortable as we can, and not force anything onto him. Because the tincture wont be ready for at least 2 weeks, and I dont think my grandfather has that long, I am not going to make it.
Thanks for everyone who read this. I guess this concludes my attempt to document the medical marijuana treatment for my grandfather and the elderly. Med pot doesn't cure cancer, nor did I ever claim it would. But it made the 7 months he had after his surgey much more bearable and humane. He's not gone yet, and I will visit him every day until he does leave, sad becasue I will miss his great sense of humor and personality, as well as his wisdome, but happy that I had 7 months to ease my grandfathers pain and to say goodbye to him the proper way.
-PM
-PM

Hi all. Just wanted to add a final update here. My grandafther passed away last night in his sleep. He was medicated on Medical marijuana, in carmel form, 24/7 this last week. I hope this thread helps people better undersand the benefits of medical marijuana and the elderly. This medicine helped my grandfather until the very end.
-PM

Mr. PM, my sincere condolences. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom