Medical Marijuana Becomes Treatment For Kids With Epilepsy

Robert Celt

It's known for its recreational use, it is now used for medical purposes, but now children are using it.

It's not just for any type of illness, but specifically for those who have extreme epilepsy. "My son had no other choice, he was going to die. He very well could have died," said Toni Richard, the mother of an epileptic teenager.

Richard's son is 15 years old, has Autism and is epileptic. At one point, he was experiencing more than 3,000 seizures a day.

"He was taking the maximum of four different seizure medications, and he was taking 20 to 25 pills per day," said Richard.

Richard's son started medical marijuana in 2014, and she says he went 375 days straight without a seizure. He also stopped taking three of his four pharmaceutical medications.

"In 13 years, my son had slept 50 nights, so the night we started medical marijuana, he slept through the night, and now he pretty much sleeps almost every night," said Richard.

Right now, it is not considered a treatment, according to the family's pediatrician.

"As a Schedule 1 medication, it has to be approved by two different government agencies in order to even get a sample to test on anyone, much less children, and getting anyone to agree to do any sort of medical testing on children can be very hard," said Dr. Krista Colletti, a pediatrician.

Dr. Colletti only allows PERMISSION for a medical marijuana card to families that really need it, like Richard's son.

"It would be really great to be able to have some testing and know, you know, specifically if there are certain kinds of seizures that respond better to certain kinds of compounds in the marijuana plants," said Dr. Colletti.

Dr. Colletti said that every person is different, and amounts should vary depending on the person.

"I am not a drug dealer. I am just a mom trying to keep my child alive...It's not a gateway drug, we're just trying to keep our children alive," Richard said.

epilepsy-medical-cannabis-fb2.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana Becomes Treatment For Kids With Epilepsy
Author: Emily Pacillo
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom