Medical Marijuana Decision

Truth Seeker

Mark Driscoll's world is spending most of the day in bed, debilitated from multiple sclerosis.

"I experience a lot throbbing, and aching and seizures in my legs" he said.
The pain is unbearable, Driscoll said, but medical marijuana helps.

"The main reason I take it for, is to eliminate the pain and the seizures" he said.

But after a Tuesday Supreme Court ruling that favored stricter medical marijuana laws, Driscoll's world is changing.

"My biggest concern first of all, is where and how am I going to get my medicine" he said.

Montana voters approved an initiative in 2004 to legalize medical marijuana. But in 2011, the state legislature enacted a strict crackdown on the industry.

Later, a district judge ruled parts of that law were unconstitutional.

But the Supreme Court lifted those blocked portions of the law- like the fact that caregivers can't make a profit from selling cannabis, and can only serve three patients.

"We said you can't make a profit, because we saw that that was a lot of the problem with the industry" said Montana Republican House Speaker Mike Milburn. "Its such a tremendous money-making opportunity."

He said when they passed the law, their hope was to strictly regulate the booming industry that they say was getting out of hand.

"It was a rampant industry out there, and so we did that- we curtailed it" Milburn said.

Driscoll's worried his caregiver won't stay in business.

"Without this cannabis, I'll be forced to go back to pharmaceuticals" he said.

Driscoll said pharmaceutical drugs have too many side effects- while lawmakers said cannabis has too many side effects in Montana.

But the ruling doesn't necessarily settle the medical marijuana laws.

Medical marijuana advocates say it's now up to voters to repeal a state law aimed at styming the industry after the Montana Supreme Court ruled there is no constitutional right to access the drug.

Tuesday's decision lifted a judge's block of portions of the 2011 law that prohibited marijuana providers from receiving compensation and limited them to three registered users each.

The Montana Cannabis Industry Association says their court battle is not over.

Association president Chris Lindsey said it's only right for voters to have their say, since they legalized medical marijuana in a 2004 initiative.

Republican state Sen. Jeff Essmann of Billing welcomed the Supreme Court's reversal. He said he does not think voters will repeal the law.

MMJ_and_Mallet.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: kulr8.com
Author: Lauren Maschmedt
Contact: KULR-8 News, Sports, Weather | - Billings, MontanaLocal Coupons | Contact Us
Website: Medical Marijuana Decision | KULR-8 News, Sports, Weather | - Billings, MontanaLocal Coupons | Local Top Stories

Back
Top Bottom