Medical Marijuana Producers Look At Alternatives To Canada Post Despite Deal

Katelyn Baker

Whether they sell baby clothes or medical marijuana, some businesses are looking at delivery alternatives after prolonged and uncertain negotiations despite a tentative agreement announced last night between Canada Post and the union.

The tentative pact between the postal service and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers was reached after warnings that mail delivery could be disrupted several times over the summer.

The future of marijuana retail

Medical marijuana producers are required to deliver prescriptions by mail and had been warned as far back as June that a disruption could be coming.

Tweed in Smiths Falls, Ont., received hundreds of phone calls from its 21,000 clients, concerned about the situation.

"We would have days where we'd have 1,200 inbound calls and contacts into the Tweed call centre," said Bruce Linton, founder and CEO of Canopy Growth Corp., which operates Tweed.

"You can imagine a lot of people were asking, 'Will this impact my delivery? Should I be doing something now? Do I need to order at a different time?'"

Linton said the company found other secure couriers and integrated them into its system. While he says Canada Post will continue to be Tweed's main carrier, it will be important to have a range of delivery options when recreational marijuana is legalized.

"Once you've set up alternate systems, sometimes there are better shipping options for certain addresses."

canadapost.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana Producers Look At Alternatives To Canada Post Despite Deal
Author: Matthew Kupfer
Photo Credit: Adrian Wyld

Back
Top Bottom