Medical-Marijuana Shops Near Schools Face Cutoff Today: Close Or Move

420 Warrior

In the ongoing stare-down between state-legal medical-marijuana dispensaries and federal law-enforcement officials, today is the day somebody blinks.

Letters sent last month to 23 dispensaries near schools in Colorado gave the businesses until today to either move or shut down.

If they do not, the U.S. attorney's office has vowed to take criminal or civil action against the businesses, which are inherently violating federal law but are in compliance with state medical-marijuana law.

U.S. Attorney John Walsh has said he is not bluffing.

"I hope," Colorado U.S. attorney's spokesman Jeff Dorschner said, "those marijuana stores that received letters took them seriously."
By most accounts, they did.

Mike Elliott, the executive director of the Medical Marijuana Industry Group, a cannabis-business trade organization, said he hasn't heard of any dispensaries planning to stay open and fight the feds.

"Everyone I know of is planning on shutting their business down," Elliott said.

Medical-marijuana attorney Lauren Davis said her clients that received letters plan to move or close, though she said there are rumors that some dispensaries may try to stay open on the sly.

In Colorado Springs, Judy Negley said the downtown location of her Indispensary will not be open starting today because the store, which is near Palmer High School, received a letter.

Negley said the decision was a difficult one but was ultimately made because of the "absolute undue hardship they could rain down on the property."

Negley said she worried that the government might try to seize not just her dispensary but also Independent Records, which she also owns. She said workers at the downtown Indispensary will be offered jobs at other branches.

"We care about these people and the patients as well," Negley said. "We want to take care of our patients and our employees. The best way to do that is to avoid getting into an unwinnable fight with someone with an ax to grind."

Indeed, beating the feds when it comes to medical marijuana is a tall task. Federal judges, in Colorado and other states, have frequently denied attempts to raise state-law defenses in federal criminal cases.

Davis, the attorney, said winning back property during a civil forfeiture action is equally difficult, since federal law contains a blanket condemnation of marijuana.

"It is close to impossible to win in a federal forfeiture action," she said.
Walsh has said the crackdown is necessary because of concerns over how Colorado's medical-marijuana boom is affecting teen access to and perception of marijuana.

He has cited statistics showing a rising number of drug-related suspensions and expulsions at schools, as well as reports that medical marijuana is being diverted to teens.

Though the federal government has showed some willingness to defer to state medical-marijuana laws, Walsh said he must still uphold federal law-enforcement priorities.

"One of those interests, without question, is protecting drug-free zones around schools," he said last month.

Indispensary employee Brian Balliett reaches into the near-empty shelves of the Indispensary"s Bijou Street medical marijuana dispensary Sunday evening, February 26, 2012. The dispensary closed its doors Sunday amid a federal threat of criminal prosecution or seizure.
20120227_Indispensary_p1.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Denver Post
Author: John Ingold
Copyright: 2012 The Denver Post

Wonder why we don't see Obama stepping up and stopping this ridiculous use of our tax dollars in the now-raging war on medical marijuana?

because obama is a lying bastard, said he was all for marijuana when he first took office and now he's done a complete 180 and he's against it now.

lol Ok..ok..Ill bite, but then I would retort, We also need to re-move all businesses away from schools that sell Alcohol , Tobacco , Firearms or Knives, or any pharma licensed business selling narcotics and Gas Stations with Nude magazines. And Just to be super safe, "for the children" lets also pass a law that makes all under 18 wear full body riot gear when playing out side. No sense in taking chances. Oh one more thing, lets NERF the playground.

Funny thought,
Even if they did all the stupid shit I just spouted off, the Kid they would potentially be trying to save, would just go buy it from one of the ass hat cartels bringing it to the states illegally anyways. Only the powers that be in the US, are capable of such ignorance.

It just blows my mind, what the government will do just because they're missin out on a little bit of money.

Sounds like a nanny-state to me!?

Um...Since when do we need our government to live their versions of life through us? What's next? A master race? Utopia? A kingdom of subjects? Dictatorship? What?

I'm a grown man...I've lived this long and I think I can handle it from here! I don't need a babysitter!

IDK? But I would think that collectives are closed to minors...Correct? If this is correct, then why would it even matter if kids have to walk by them on their way home from school?

IMO, They would be in even more danger from the walk home itself, than just walking by a Cannabis collective...Where's the danger in that?

It's not like there is some guy sitting out in front of the collective(s), stopping kids and saying "Hey, you guys want to come inside and get some pot?"...I'm sure that's not happening, so where's the argument here?

I guess what our government really want's us to do is, lock our kid's up in their rooms and only let them have rice cakes and tofu to eat and monitor every detail of their existence, so they can have no idea of what life has in store for them later on, when they grow up!

Hey, here's a novel idea! And I hope I'm not over reaching here but, why don't we teach our kids how to watch out for themselves and keep themselves safe, without us having to bubble wrap them up, every time we send them out the door to play or go the school? Maybe a little responsibility is in order here? A little guidance?...IDK?

Back
Top Bottom