Melted snow for Feed water?

hogs

Hey Guys/Gals....

Just wondering since rain water is good for using for feed water mix, would snow also be good if it was clean and nothing else in it, like fresh fallen snow???

Would it also have low ppm like rain water???

Hope a few can reply to give their idelas on this THanks..>!

Re: Melted snow for Feed water??

I would say that depends on where you live. I'd not use Detroit snow, but if I lived in BFE where the skies are clear, Just melt some, get a water test done on it at a pet store, and if it's suitable, go for it!
:goodluck:

Well I have meters for ppm and ph just wondering on using snow in general. btw got lots of snow here and my tap water is like 380 ppm so this is Y I am asking...

as long as you dont live in CO, its illegal to collect rain / snow there...some shit like they sell it to Nevada, or something like that...but as far as i can tell the snow I get here works well for water, just make sure its not to cold

YEah I am up in Canada thats one thing YET they don`t tax us on....LoL

Only in the stores...

Well Snow is all good..ppm to a big fat 0 ph around 7.5 but can fix that... Good to know I have lots of supply of good h20 this winter now..>! Also being heavy wet snow lots of water in it..doesn`t take but a few shovels to fill 5 gallon buckets...!

And should say best of all..its FREE!

The PH I mention was wrong it PH at 6.1 check with two different meters...

I can`t see how it would be any difference in using rain water as with the chemicals you mention and that alot use that for years???

>???? Now before I use this today all 5 - 5 gallon bucket fulls.. ( 25 gallons )Should I worry????

Besides where I live there is hardly any Industrial / commercial going on...Not that that Matters as I know it all travels with the wind...but so does rain fall..!

as long as you dont live in CO, its illegal to collect rain / snow there...some shit like they sell it to Nevada, or something like that...but as far as i can tell the snow I get here works well for water, just make sure its not to cold

Not quite true, in June or July 2009 they passed two laws allowing it ... IF you fill out a bunch of paperwork etc... It is not just Colorado, most western states Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and a few others all have similiar laws or did. It is from over 100 years ago when water was harder to get.

Colorado has rarely enforced this even before the law change in 2009, if you own your land and the water rights to it you can do no problem, otherwise lotsa paperwork.

Most people don't know that even if you buy your home and pay it off many times the water and mineral rights are sold to a different owner (read Corporation). Yes, somebody can come drill on your property for oil, water and more if you do not own ALL the rights to your land. Owning a home / property means the house and surface land only. This applies to some eastern states and most western states.

Much of Colorado is considered a semi arid desert with water issues and most people do not know this.

Rainwater and melted snow is awesome for grows as long as you are not getting acid rain/ polluted rain / snow.

:peace:
WillyB

I know this is an old thread but I am new to growing so this question for me just came up...I live in the boonies and my melted snow has 40ppm and a ph of 5.8....I think thats awesome, I was just worried thinking maybe as I let it sit in the barrel waiting to use it all the oxygen would dissipate but people swear by rain water and the oxygen would dissipate i that just the same....

snow is pretty dirty. Ice crystals cannot form without a particle of dust to grow on. Also as said, the pollution in the atmosphere gets collected on the way down as well as the period of time the snow has been on the ground. Bacteria also like to grow in snow, stains it red.
I'd go with RO water, rain water or tap water myself.

Back
Top Bottom