Mexican Drug Traffickers Break Out of Jail Whenever They Want

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
As if you needed another reason to wince in exasperation at the total failure of each and every ongoing drug enforcement effort in Mexico, here we go again.
Just as Mexican authorities are struggling to put drug traffickers in prison, Mexican prisons are struggling to keep them there. Hundreds of dangerous inmates have escaped from state penitentiaries along the U.S. border in recent months, some through spectacular action-movie breakouts, others by simply walking out the door.
"I lock them up, and they let them out," President Felipe Calderon said in frustration, blaming local officials. [Washington Post]

Honestly, I've run out of words to describe the absurdity of the situation and I can't even imagine the thought processes that guide those who still pretend we're proceeding towards any sort of resolution to this epic fiasco. Apparently, some of those people are getting irritated with Obama for failing to clean up the mess, as though we had these narco-thugs surrounded when Bush left office:
Both Mexican and American officials, who say the two countries have never worked closer in fighting crime, are facing growing pressure to prove that their strategy is working. With Republicans now in control of the House of Representatives, the Obama administration will face renewed scrutiny to account for the $1.4 billion, multiyear Merida Initiative, the cornerstone of American aid in Mexico's drug fight. [New York Times]

I don't know what anyone expected, but it's definitely time we start scrutinizing our massive drug war budget expenditures, even if such inquiries are initiated merely to advance a partisan political agenda. It really is incredible to witness the redundancy of the drug war dialogue in Washington, but the Merida Initiative's dismal legacy will be difficult to salvage by any measure. When proposals inevitably emerge to double-down on our investment in Mexico's blood-stained drug war debacle, it should become clear to everyone that this idiocy knows no bounds.

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: StoptheDrugWar.org
Author: Scott Morgan
Copyright: 2011 StoptheDrugWar.org
Website: Mexican Drug Traffickers Break Out of Jail Whenever They Want

The really sad part in all this is the lives lost. Over 30,000 dead in just 4, now 5 yrs. If this isn't genocide for greed I don't know what is. Those cartels will do anything to keep their drug corridors wide open. Yet all we do is throw money at it, money we had to borrow from China, probably. Or straight from our pockets, you and me. I don't agree to finance this drug war, so how am I supposed to reconcile my conscience when my money that I earn is helping to pay for it, and many other things I find to be morally wrong. This moral fight is at the very center of my being.
I certainly hope we legalize cannabis before another 30,000 are murdered. Never again to taste a good meal or enjoy the sunshine.

The really sad part in all this is the lives lost. Over 30,000 dead in just 4, now 5 yrs. If this isn't genocide for greed I don't know what is. Those cartels will do anything to keep their drug corridors wide open. Yet all we do is throw money at it, money we had to borrow from China, probably. Or straight from our pockets, you and me. I don't agree to finance this drug war, so how am I supposed to reconcile my conscience when my money that I earn is helping to pay for it, and many other things I find to be morally wrong. This moral fight is at the very center of my being.
I certainly hope we legalize cannabis before another 30,000 are murdered. Never again to taste a good meal or enjoy the sunshine.

Ah don't go beating yourself up. This has been going on for much longer. Calderon brought the fight up North.

Mexico's problems are the byproducts of greed, corruption, and prohibition. Mexico sits on top of one of the world's largest oil reserves and is neighbors with the richest country in the world. Rather than using this potential wealth to uplift the people of Mexico, their Government has declared war on its population without any tangible objective. They have oppressed the people of Mexico for so long that any notion of rational growth has been forgotten. For the Mexican, a life of poverty, dreams of a life elsewhere, or the very real money that comes with taking up arms in one of many factions that deliver what Mexico's government cannot–potential wealth or a quick end to the misery.

I don't feel guilty about Mexico's issues because I smoke pot and pay taxes any more than I feel guilty for slavery. I have never owned a slave nor would I. What I see is two Governments ignoring ethics and common sense. One puts focus one a wall that would stop nothing and the other simply blames consumer demand and then declares sporadic war on its populace. I can potentially influence my government, and as an American it is my ethical obligation to do so, but I refuse to except responsibility for the injustices committed in the absence of my consent.

I will demand an end to the drug war. Hopefully many others will too. When the demands of many are ignored for too long, a natural reaction can and will occur with or without me. :tokin:

Back
Top Bottom