Mexico's Court Just Made Cannabis Legal, And Called Marijuana A Fundamental Right

Jacob Redmond

Mexico's Supreme Court opened the door to recreational use of marijuana in a landmark ruling Wednesday, giving a group of activists permission to grow and smoke their own pot.

Smart For Weed

Contributing to a growing drug policy debate in Latin America, the justices voted 4-1 in favor of the four members of the Mexican Society for Responsible and Tolerant Personal Use, whose Spanish acronym spells "SMART." Justice Arturo Zaldivar, who backed the group's effort, said the country's marijuana prohibition is an "extreme" and "disproportionate" measure. The vote allows SMART to produce and consume its own pot, but not sell it. The ruling is expected to prompt other activists to turn to the top court, which must issue five similar rulings to establish a legal precedent.

Celebrating Their New Human Right

According to a report in the Washington Post, the ruling meant that "outlawing the possession and use of the marijuana plant represents a violation of fundamental human rights, as the case was "argued on human rights grounds", Hannah Hetzer of the Drug Policy Alliance told the publication. Outside the court in the capital's historic center, dozens of people celebrated the ruling by smoking joints and dancing to reggae music. "We won!" exclaimed Francisco Torres Landa, a 50-year-old lawyer and SMART member, pumping his fist in the air inside the chamber. His group hopes the ruling will force Congress to consider legalising marijuana, a move they say would strip drug cartels of a key source of cash and therefore reduce the country's runaway violence.

President Enrique Pena Nieto, who has opposed the legalisation of pot, said his government "respects and accepts" the ruling. But he told reporters that the decision is limited in scope to the four members of SMART and that it does not mean a broader legalisation of marijuana. The ruling, however, "opens a broad debate" on how to regulate the use of marijuana and "inhibit its consumption," he said. Health minister Mercedes Juan Lopez said her ministry will now have to draft new regulations to ensure that the health of non-pot smokers and children is protected.

The government will also have to look at terms for importing seeds.

'Not For Us'

The SMART members themselves - two lawyers, an accountant and a social activist - say they do not even plan to grow and smoke pot. Rather, the activists want to force the government and lawmakers to rethink the controversial war on drugs. "This is not for the four of us," SMART member Torres Landa told AFP, saying the goal was to "break" the government's marijuana prohibition. Pena Nieto, who took office in December 2012, has pressed on with his predecessor's controversial strategy of using troops to go after cartels. The ruling, Pena Nieto said, "does not imply in any way the elimination of the policy that the government has maintained."

Legalisation has caught on in other parts of Latin America.

Uruguay has created a regulated market for pot, while Chile's Congress is debating a law to legalise its recreational and medical use. In the United States - the biggest consumer of drugs from Mexico -- 23 US states and the capital Washington, D.C. now allow medical marijuana, and four others plus the US capital have legalised pot for recreational use.

Mexico 'Not Ready For This'

The judge who voted against, Jorge Mario Pardo, argued that the ruling could not work because it does not address the ban against obtaining the seeds to grow marijuana. "Mexico has many problems to resolve. It's not ready for this," said Consuelo Mendoza, president of the National Union of Parents, who took part in an anti-marijuana protest outside the court.

SMART took its case to the courts in 2013 after the government's health regulator, Cofepris, denied its request for permission to produce and consume its own marijuana for recreational use. While Mexico's government has opposed the legalisation of drugs, health authorities granted an exception last month for an eight-year-old girl suffering from severe epilepsy. The girl, Grace, took her first treatment of a cannabis-based oil last month, which her parents hope will reduce the 400 epileptic fits she endures each day.

16471.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Mexico's Court Just Made Cannabis Legal, And Called Marijuana A Fundamental Right
Author: AFP
Photo Credit: The Associated Press

This is all well and good for normal people in Mexico but it will actually do nothing to stop the cartels because they still have a giant black market here in the US and until the US government abolishes Cannabis prohibition there will always be a black market for illegal Mexican grass here, people will still keep on loosing there lives and business will still go on as usual, mark my words.

Oh and by the way, Canada is poised to legalize as well so that means that this supposedly "greatest country in the world" will be sitting smack dab in the middle of two countries that have come to there senses and thereby leaving the US in the dust as a "free nation".

We may be getting close my friends but this war aint over by a damn sight people. I've said it before and I'll say it again, in my opinion the south east part of this country is the foundation of the proverbial house of cards in this country and until we can start whittling away at the stigma that's still alive and well here, we will never see the structure known as the "war on drugs" come crashing down.

This is all well and good for normal people in Mexico but it will actually do nothing to stop the cartels because they still have a giant black market here in the US and until the US government abolishes Cannabis prohibition there will always be a black market for illegal Mexican grass here, people will still keep on loosing there lives and business will still go on as usual, mark my words.

Oh and by the way, Canada is poised to legalize as well so that means that this supposedly "greatest country in the world" will be sitting smack dab in the middle of two countries that have come to there senses and thereby leaving the US in the dust as a "free nation".

We may be getting close my friends but this war aint over by a damn sight people. I've said it before and I'll say it again, in my opinion the south east part of this country is the foundation of the proverbial house of cards in this country and until we can start whittling away at the stigma that's still alive and well here, we will never see the structure known as the "war on drugs" come crashing down.

This is a great ruling against the drug cartels, the more the U.S. legalizes marijuana the less people they have to sell to. Don't be such a pessimist.

"Pessimism is a state of mind in which one anticipates undesirable outcomes or believes that the evil or hardships in life outweigh the good or luxuries. Value judgments may vary dramatically between individuals, even when judgments of fact are undisputed."

Think positive!

Only until China ramps up their production, then all your weed will say "Made in China" Lol.
I agree, what is taking the U.S. so long? Mexico is making it legal all across the country.

Social control happened.

Well, as you are right about thinking positive and being hopeful, you still need to be a realest and think about the fact that cartels are always going to be in the business of making money and just because Mexico legalizes Cannabis, we here in the US still have an illegal status in most states and more importantly on the federal level so as long as there is a demand, the cartels are going to be more than happy to fill that demand.

I can only imagine how easy it would be for someone living in a "legal" state to have a positive outlook on this issue but you really have no idea what it's like to live here in the south east part of this country where tyranny is still very much alive and well. We don't have the luxury of having professionally grown Cannabis sold at a store near us, so that means Mexican grass is still very much a staple commodity here and as long as Cannabis retains it's highly illegal status here, the black market will thrive and prosper.

Now, please don't misunderstand me, I am more than ecstatic about how far this country has come in the fight for seeing our beloved plant loose the stigma that's been attached to it for the last 70 years, but you have got to realize that we still have a long way to go before we can claim total victory.

It just seems to me like too many people have this mentality that just because their state has won the fight that somehow this fight is over and all I'm trying to do is give those people a reality check and let them know that it's far from over and it will never be over as long as things remain the same on the federal level. People, don't get complacent and let your guard down because one stroke of a pin could very well make it all go away if our government chooses to go that route. Be positive and hopeful, sure I totally support that and have that myself but I refuse to let my guard down until Cannabis is reclassified federally and takes the DEA totally out of the equation in their fight against us.

I have to admit that smoking pot in my town (illegal) has caused me a sort shame. The stigma attached to it because it is illegal here, makes you sneaky and look like a fiend (pardon my French if applicable). I had to learn and understand others bias towards Mary Jahuana in order to realize that the variations in their perceptions had nothing to do with me nor weed. Completely ignorant to the truth and oblivious to the actual info out there. Religiously influenced politics that is what is stopping the acceptance of smoke on a larger scale.

Back
Top Bottom