Micro grow (2' x 1' x 1') question

thats a pretty small one. if you are going to pull it off, i recommend a SCRoG with one plant.

you will need a pretty good, exhaust fan. CFL's dont get very hot, but in such a small space... it adds up quick.

Yea thanks nibec I figured that, I got 4 cheap 2nd hand pc fans and in the mail. They are 60mm fans. Itd be good if I can get away with only using two, just to keep the noise down a little.

Im leaning more toward having only one plant but would be pretty gutted if I finish with room to spare. I dont have any experience with the space needed for this strain (well... actually any exp at all really... haha).

Any experienced growers feel free to jump in anytime.

spliffd

with a scrog, you wont have any excess space... in fact... in 2x1x1... you will be lucky to even have enough room for one plant. Remember, soon as you flip to flower, a plant can double in size within a week

i have a lot of experience in micro growing... and one thing everyone overlooks, is heat.

you need to have enough air flow to exchange the air at least 10-15 times a minute when dealing with such small spaces. and thats not an exagerration. 15 would be better.

i have a 13 cubic foot space, and to stop my temps from going over 80F, i need 160cfm.

i had a 2.5x1x1 grow before (used a speaker cab) with a 60cfm 4" fan. and it still got into the 90's that plant was heat stressed its whole life.

what i would suggest, is 4 - 120mm silent computer fans, located on the very top.

keep in mind this will be very tough to light proof.

just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

edit: an example of hot warm cfls can get... my house temp is 70.5F right now, and the room my stealth cab is in, has the door shut, and its currently 74.2F .. thats 14 , 26watt bulbs. the room is 8x10x8.

dont underestimate the heat they put off.

Thanks man - I really appreciate the advice!

My GF is starting to grumble about the effort and money that Im putting into this project already (even though I honestly havent spent much at all), so for now I'm going to try the 4 60mm fans. I'll test the box for temps overnight and make a decision what to do from there.

Maybe instead of 2 intake and 2 exhaust, I could try 4 intake and one large passive exhaust? Would the 4 intake create a negative pressure effect or something?

Maybe I could just spray sunscreen on my plant?
A footstool and a margharita?

spliffd

while i wish that would work.. i dont think so... haha.. and instead of 4 intakes, make 4 exhausts. it works better that way.

and realistically... until you get it dialed in, and have a few grows under your belt... chances are you might not make back what you put into it.

if you do everything right from the start.. it will easily pay for itself. .. but with how much of a learning curve there is. its not the expected. this mostly applys to micro grows.

remember K.I.S.S Keep it simple, stupid.

plus, in the end, there is nothing more satifiying that taking a puff off your own home grown :)

edit: in a space that small, you will probably have to sacrifice something... either odor control, or stealth...

reason being.. if you are going for odor control, you will need a fairly large fan to pull through a carbon filter of some kind. and those fans are typically fairly noisy.

ps: my girlfriend got all grumpy with me too when i started way back when... she shut up soon as she tired a bud of my first plant :p :)

Ok hears my 2 cents!

I had a pc grow cab, and I also had 4 cfl's and I had a problem with heat, but not too hot, it was too cold! The summer went buy with out a hitch and all temps were spot on, but when winter hit the temps in my house and subsequently my box dropped to an unexceptable low. I wasn't gonna crack the heating up in my house just to heat a little pc grow so My way of fixing this was to turn the voltage down on my 2 computer fans (1 intake and one out take) HOWEVER this created a bigger problem, I wasn't moving enough air through my box and the plant nearly died! It took me a while to figure out what was killing the plant but as soon as I turned the fans back up things got better! So to fix the problem in the end I bought a reptile heat mat and placed it on the bottom of my box with a book on top, then the girl. After that no problems!
So I would say run some tests see what temps your getting. But like nibec said air flow is really important!!!
Also I was also growing lowryders, mine were no.2's and they were virtually odourless! I didn't plan or choose the brand for that reason but was very happy when my whole grow made little or no smell! They only started to stink during the drying stage!

Leave your box on in the place it's gonna be when your growing and check temps. Then report back to 420, im sure someone on hear will have an idea to help you out if the temps are a little off!
Also to reduce light leak from the fan make a light lock, just google it, I made mine from cardboard and black spray paint.

Good luck man and get some photos up!!

Yeah Im sure I'll have a few kinks to iron out on my first grows. Ive managed to use stuff that I had around the house. The seeds are the main expense by far (crazy). I have recently moved to a new area so I dont really have any friends who could supply me with seeds or smoke.

Its been a few months now and I must admit Id be happy with pretty much anything. Im only growing for personal use so keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your input guys

Back
Top Bottom