Mildew on top of soil?

SupremeGreen

Whats the promblem if the top of the soil looks likes mold or mildew is forming on top of soil?

The soil in half FF oceanforest and half roots organic 707. I see it on top of both 5gal and 3gal with fairly new clones planted. Im using 2 t5 with a self made reflector.

(Reflector is made from a platic 10gal container top with mylar in-between the T5's and the lid)

i had some old rooting cubes get a white funk growin on them when i tried to root some clones. the roots didnt love coming into contact with the mold but i tried potting them any way and they did great. after the transplant i just tore off the top of the rooting cube with the white stuff and it never came back...

you should just scrape a layer of soil off the top and put a fresh layer down, if it comes back dont worry too much because my first grow went through the entire bud cycle with white stuff on the soil, i thought it was salt but it was mold. it will only grow on the top where enough air can get to it so 95% of your roots wont have the mold effecting them.

the stuff shows up when i have too humid of an environment. try to lower your RH.

If the mold is white, leave it alone. It's neutral or beneficial. Whacky colored mold is bad news, for you and your plants.

In any case, if this is active soil you should check environmental conditions. Not enough air, too much moisture, you get mold.

Are your containers filled to the top? Underfilling promotes less airflow.

I agree about the color mold and air/over-watering.
IMO- its that if its hurting the plants.
If you accidentally did something really good, like have a "Santa's Beard" of fungi, it will look wispy and webby.
Mildew and mold is more powder.
If you haven't brewed any tea's, or use compost, then try to keep humidity lower than 45%.
Its very difficult if not impossible for spores (you really have to worry about) to form at 30%.

This may pertain to this:
I use the same soil mix. Your the first i've seen also choose that; you won't regret it.

I add alot to it, and use teas of both fungi and bacteria; I definitely have a thick silky layer of fungi on the top layer. hydro speed, organix quality.

Hope this helps!
Ask me what ever you would like!:goodluck:

I get this stuff I just water less now and I don't see it or the fungus gnats to go with it. It likes to grow on bone meal, and sugars I've noticed.

It seems like my soil is the issue causing white mold, it seems to cover only the "white" ingredient in the soil I use, I was concerned about moisture, so I scraped the top layer of soil, added new soil, rewatered (very little), then turned my fan a little lower and increase the time of 600w light by a few hours, trial and error for a new grower...ughh I tell ya

It seems like my soil is the issue causing white mold, it seems to cover only the "white" ingredient in the soil I use, I was concerned about moisture, so I scraped the top layer of soil, added new soil, rewatered (very little), then turned my fan a little lower and increase the time of 600w light by a few hours, trial and error for a new grower...ughh I tell ya

You might want to cut back a little on water, also just so you know, you replied to an 11 year old post. (Been there, done that).

It seems like my soil is the issue causing white mold,
Welcome to the group.

Mycelium, a fungus and something that organic soil growers want to see every now and then. Many soil growers pay money to get nutrient mixes that have included one or more types of Mycelium. It is good stuff and part of the continuous process of decomposing the organic materials in true soils.

You did not say what type of soil you are using. Was it something in a bag? Or, is a soil mix you put together yourself? Tell us a little bit about your soil.

One of my suggestions is to look at the wiki page for Mycelium and if time look at some of the web pages from agricultural sites as to the benefits of a viable colony in the soil.

1642809253160134654615801745477.jpg

Your young plants are looking good and off to a great start.

Hopefully by now you have had a chance to read up on Mycelium.

The potting soil you chose is from a major and well respected company. After reading the web page for the Pro-Mix potting soil you have it is a good chance that the company has added some Mycelium fungi to that soil mix and that is part of the "MYCOACTIVE technology" that is mentioned on the bag.

Most of the time the Mycelium fungus is doing its thing below the surface and interacting with the root system of the plants but occasionally it will show up on the surface. A major part of the Pro-Mix is common peat moss. Peat moss is old plant material and it will slowly decompose over 2 to 3 years and part of the decomposing ivolves a fungus like you saw on the surface.

In about two weeks your plants will be ready to be transplanted into a larger pot. By then the plant will have graduated to the next step. Pick something much larger so it holds twice as much or more of the new soil. The extra room for the roots plus the extra nutrients in a growing soil (instead of a potting soil) and your plants should really start to grow faster.

Mycelium and mycorrhizae...

Back
Top Bottom