Mini-Breaker Retrofit for Fuse Box in 30-amp?

I just found out about Cooper Bussman Mini-Breakers. They're circuit breakers that screw into a fuse box in place of a fuse. I've found 15-amp and 20-amp versions.

Does anyone know if they (or another manufacturer) make a 30-amp version?

even if they did, it has nothing to do with what size you can get, it has to do with what size wire is ran threw your wall, certain guage wires are only ratedup to a certain amperage and if exceeded can cause a house fire quiet easily, with equipment us growers have to run!
and seeing how your talking about an adaptable breaker for a FUSEBOX (ancient equipment) then im gonna take a stab in the dark and say that the wiring in the house is old also, i did electrical for 11 years and if theres one piece of advice i can give you its this. if you kept poping fuses in your fuse box because your equipments drawing too much juice, DO NOT just throw in a bigger Fuse, or in this case breaker to solve the issue, because it only brings on much bigger and more dangerous issues!

i just moved because i lived in a place with insufficient electric and space. it wasnt something we could afford, but at the same time its not something we could afford to not do either!!

just be extremely cautious with what your trying to accomplish because from my standpoint it dosent sound healthy. just mho though.

any chance you could run a 30 amp circuit from your panel to your grow space?
provided you have space in your panel it is a much safer option.

however if your just looking to replace a 30 amp fuse with the breaker, forget everything above lmao. but if you are constantly popping them its prob a good idea to think into alternative power options.

ive honestly never seen them in higher then a 20 amp, although the only time we ever saw them is when we were replacing old fuse boxes with breaker panels. so sorry i oculdnt be of more assistance.

even if they did, it has nothing to do with what size you can get

Well... Yes, it does. The application - my fuse box's main fuse - calls for a 30-amp time-delay Edison-base fuse. I didn't overload my system. I... shorted it out (lol). Was an <OOPS> kind of thing and it was no big deal, except that I didn't have any replacements handy. I don't as a rule blow them, although it does happen once in a blue moon and I wanted to find out if the retrofit mini-breakers were available in 30-amp before I bought a box of four fuses.

As for throwing in a bigger fuse, I'm not. It's the main fuse. I have 30-amp service (yeah... it's that old).

i just moved because i lived in a place with insufficient electric and space. it wasnt something we could afford, but at the same time its not something we could afford to not do either!!

IDK about the space issue, but I'd think that upgrading your electrical system would be cheaper than buying a different house, even if you paid someone to do it. But in this market I guess it could go either way.

just be extremely cautious with what your trying to accomplish

Always. Not into do-it-yourself EST, lmao.

any chance you could run a 30 amp circuit from your panel to your grow space?

My entire electrical system is only 30-amp. This wasn't a "grow-related" question, I just figured it was the closest forum.

however if your just looking to replace a 30 amp fuse with the breaker, forget everything above lmao.

:thumb:

ive honestly never seen them in higher then a 20 amp, although the only time we ever saw them is when we were replacing old fuse boxes with breaker panels. so sorry i oculdnt be of more assistance.

Bummer. Yeah, I saw 15- and 20-amp ones. I guess since it's been several decades since 30-amp boxes were in code - or even tolerated by the homeowner in this age of large electrical loads - that it was unlikely.

How many decades? <COUGH> I also have (separated) two-wire electrical runs, you know, knob and tube? A complete system upgrade is in the future, but it'll be a while. Sucks - you can't just tie on to that stuff and pull to fish the new wire. And of course there's the whole (lack of) ground issue. OtOH, it has one thing going for it - it's less likely to cause a fire since the wires are separated. But I take pains not to run at rated capacity (it's a PitA sometimes, but at least the electric bill reflects it, lol) anyway.

lmao, sounds like you got it figure out, thats a good thing!
yeah i havent seen them in a 30 amp before, but like i said ive only seen them during tear outs, never actually looked for new or replacements.

yeah if you own the place moving prob wouldnt be cheaper. lmao. but like u said, in this economy =)

wish you the best with this, def post a link if you find one of them plug fuse breakers. im sure itll help someone else down the road.

Back
Top Bottom