MLK rules for petitioning

CharlieMopps

These are a few snipets from MLK Jr's "Letter from Birmingham Jail". Even though King's message was aimed at ending segregation, I believe his message speaks also about morality and overall human rights. I think his words can be directly aimed at the issue of decriminalization, and I quote;

"I cannot sit idly by in Atlanta and not be concerned about what happens in Birmingham. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly."

"You may well ask, why direct action? why sit-ins, marches, ect.? Isn't negotiation a better path? You are exactly right in your call for negotiation. Indeed, this is the purpose of direct action. Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crysis and establish such creative tension that a community that has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored."

"One may ask, How can you advocate breaking some laws and obeying others? The answer is found in the fact that there are two types of laws, just laws and unjust laws. I would be the first to advocate obeying just laws.One has not only a legal, but moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."

"One who breaks unjust laws must do it openly, lovingly and with a willingness to accept the penalty. I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for law."

Those are the word straight from MLK, written in jail.

i'm all for civil disobedience. smoke-ins. mass arrests.
i sorta like the smell of tear gas.
but i think we should hold back a bit longer. there are some changes taking place and the population is listening and thinking. we are finally getting some good press. but if it continues on much longer then perhaps stronger action will become nessesary.

*i'm speaking for myself and not 420 Magazine.

I disagree, we must stand up NOW!!! smoke in's NOW think if a avalanche started by a snow ball. When will be granted the right to smoke! NOW is the time. If we do not stand up now we will never stand up.

I think that the situation is not yet to the point where we need to protest in ernest, but almost. I have been reading for years about the progress being made and I keep thinking that it'll be okay by November or March or whenever. I'll give it a little while longer and stay hopefull.

i'm all for civil disobedience. smoke-ins. mass arrests.
i sorta like the smell of tear gas.
but i think we should hold back a bit longer. there are some changes taking place and the population is listening and thinking. we are finally getting some good press. but if it continues on much longer then perhaps stronger action will become nessesary.

*i'm speaking for myself and not 420 Magazine.
User, you are right !! We're on the verge of relegalizing mj, and acting like idiots, isn't gonna do anything but hurt the cause !! But i'm a rebel at heart, so whatever, bring it on !!

the problem is, the masses don't know how serious an issue this is. they think we're just a bunch of silly pot heads who just want their fix. they don't realize that Prohibition has led to the death of thousands of our Latin neighbors just last year, that it has ruined countless lives and causes countless others suffer with out an effective treatment. if this isn't reason enough to get up and do something, just wait till you get busted and your life gets turned upside down. i feel that if you are going to get busted have it be for a good cause. we need to let people know that this isn't a game, that we are damn serious when we say legalize it. the world is watching why not make use of our fifteen minutes, this isn't a fad. this is a revolution.

Back
Top Bottom