MMJ Patients In Court

Weed420

If anyone can make it there is a court case in Shelton on Dec.14th
* Mon Dec 14 - 11am
* Mason v. John Reed/Karen Mower
* 419 N 4th St., Shelton, WA 98584
They could use some moral support. I'll be there

Just got back from the 2nd hearing. Now they want to have another hearing next monday on the 11th. Been stalled in court for 2 years while the prosecution trys to make up there mind what tthey're going to do.
They had a couple over the 15 plant guideline used by LEO. They ripped everything up and confiscated everything.

That is truly unfortunate. I am in your's and their corner and I hope the judge dismisses the case. Please keep us informed and let them know that, just a short drive down I-90 East, (a continent away), we are pulling for them.
I doubt it, but will offer. If there is anything I can do from here just ask.

If it goes to trial were hoping to get quite a few people in the courtroom to have our voice heard. Depending on what transpires the 11th the pre trial hearing should be before the end of the month.

C'mon people this could be you!
Let's rally behind those people who need our help. There must be many patients, and sympathetic people in Wa. that are able to show support. These people need our help. If you can, please go to the above address, show your support, and stand up and be counted.

Yeah people seem to forget this could be you some day. Help a little now and they will help out if you get in this predicament. Its always nice to have a friend in the courtroom. It can be overwhelming.

New Court Date

Court: Mason vs. Karen Mower & John Reed
When
Tue, February 16, 11am – 12pm
Where
419 N 4th St, Shelton, WA 98584 (map)
Description
Mason County v. John Reed and Karen Mower - Mason County Courthouse - 419 N 4th St. - Shelton, WA 98584 - Case #08-1-00022-2 and #08-1-00018-4 2008 | MASON COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE

This is going to trial. Feb.16th will be the jury selection process and usually the trial will start the same day or the next day.
I'll be there. We need as many people as possible to show up and show your support. Wear clothing or buttons that show your support for MMJ patients. Hats are not allowed in the court room.

I would definatly go but its my pain appointmet day w/ my doc. Please get ahold of me if theres anymore court dates or if you know of any new cases, every mmj. patient in the state should be there, come on people we need to support each other even if it cost us.sincerly, misterman1961

Thanks, I'll check it out, until next time-------------misterman1961:peace:

I haven't been able to find out whats going on. Tuesday there was supposed to be another hearing but it seems it didn't take place. The communication has been terrible. I'll keep digging and see what I can find.

Update on John and Karen's trial. I'll be there tomorrow.

Mason County v. Mower/Reed - Tuesday, March 30th @ 9:00 a.m.

Karen Mower is a terminally ill medical marijuana patient. Her husband John Reed is an authorized patient as well. In January 2008, the Mason County Sheriff's "Special Operations Group" raided their home garden, seizing 38 flowering plants and 36 immature plants.

The Mason County Sheriff issued a press release announcing the raid in which they estimate each plant would produce one pound of dried pot. The press release states that both defendants are medical marijuana patients, but "the amount of product found by deputies clearly exceeded the amount the couple was authorized to possess." See: 2008 | MASON COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE

Their case has been dragging on, and is finally going to jury selection. Please consider spending a day in Shelton to observe this trial. Doug Hiatt is the defense attorney. Michael Dorcey is the prosecutor. Interestingly, Dorcey has filed to run for Mason County Prosecutor.
What: Mason County v. Karen Mower and John Reed
When: Tuesday, March 30th @ 9:00 a.m.
Where: Mason County Courthouse, 419 N 4th St. in Shelton
Map: 419 N 4th St 98584 - Google Maps
Read more

Was there for the 2nd and 3rd day of trial.
They finished with all the witnesses to day and will just give closing statements tomorrow morning and then it goes to the jury. Had some excellent testimony today and it looks good. I think it will atleast end with a hung jury and hopefully an acquittal.

Well the jury went to deliberation on this case this morning and reached there decision at 4:20. We all thought that was pretty funny including the prosecutor.
Both John and Karen were convicted of Manufacture of a controlled substance and were aquitted on intent to distribute. But the manufacture charge is still a felony. According to Michael Dorcey he's not going to push for any jail time for Karen because she is very ill, but John may have to do some time. No decision has yet been made about filling an appeal but it sounds like there probably will be one.
The manufacture charge comes as a result of our good old docs in a box writing on the authorizations how much MJ constitutes a 60 day supply, which is illegal for doctors to do because they are not legally authorized to prescribe, only to recommend. We were all hoping this was going to be a defining case for Mason County but it appears someone else will have to be persecuted before we a defining case can be done.
Both attorneys, Doug Hiatt and Ron Sergei did an excellent job of presenting the case and Dr. Gregory Carter is an excellent expert witness in this case.
I wish to thank the dozen or so people that showed up for the trial. I really wish we could have filled the courtroom but people have things to do that just don't allow them to take time off of work to be able get involved.
Probably in the end the legalizing intiative is going to be our best bet to end the persecution, but the problem is in Washington the legislature can mutilate the intiative after 2 years which is exactly what has happened with our first intiative. If they had left that intiative alone the chances are John and Karen would never have been put through this ordeal.

This is a miscarriage of Justice I am looking at the same charges!

The Mason County Sheriffs are on Crack! No way these people had $200,000 in Medical Marijuana or any other marijuana.
Not Planted
Not Growing
Not Dried
they posessed 36 ounces of dried marijuana or 2.2lbs divided between them it is 18ozs apiece or a little over a pound dried and 74 plants total (38 in Bud and 36 immature or unusable)
Far from the Two Hundred Thousand Dollar supply the police allege they posessed!
Unfortunately these detrimental claims by police come into play at Sentencing. A huge fine will be levied and substantial jail time is the norm once trial is opted for. In many cases if the matter could have been resolved at pre trial conference in a plea agreement and the offender choose trial he/she look at the higher sentencing guidelines automatically. Let us hope and Pray this is not the case!

God Bless Karen and John.

Many people think now that MMJ is available in your state "they must have changed the Law" when in reality the only laws that were not changed is the crimminal sentencing Laws. They call for strict sentencing of anyone convicted of Cultivation and Manufacture. This is done because the govt has proven that you are manufacturing like General Motors or Apple and pushing it out the door. If this were true the streets would be flooded with Medical Marijuana not ICE and Cr8ck, Dope,Crystl,Crank etc etc.
When these MMJ laws were passed laws were not enacted to deal with the specifics of Medical Needs and Sentences remained the same which call for substantial jail time at both State and Federal level.
I would bet the statue in Washington State reads: Anyone convicted of Cultivation and Manufacture (growing) Controlled Substance Schedule I (marijuana) is looking at a 10yr minimum and $250,000 fine (and that is for 1-5kg of product, if you posess more weight = more time) These sentences are enacted in all States to mimick and follow the Federal guidelines for the same violations allowing states to seek and obtain more federal money $$ to "fight and prosecute the War on Drugs"

We all need to change these sentencing laws and punishments to reflect the times. Putting licensed MMJ users in Prison for marijuana is the same as puttinng a State licensed driver in prison for driving
They have a license for Marijuana it is Amoral, immoral, and downright Un-American!

If we all work hard we can strike down these unjust laws that were enacted in 1970 eliminating the Prohibition on Marijuana, and the crazy sentences for growing a plant that is no more harmful than grapes used to make wine.

Back
Top Bottom