MO: Lawmakers Split Over Failed Medical Marijuana Bill; Voters May Have A Say

Robert Celt

Two days after approving a medical-marijuana bill, the Missouri House reversed its stand, rejecting final passage of the legislation on a vote of 66 for to 87 against.

The rejection came as a surprise to state Rep. Donna Lichtenegger, R-Jackson.

A co-sponsor of the bill, Lichtenegger thought the measure would pass. She said the measure had been amended to allow the use of marijuana only for hospice patients who are dying from cancer.

"I was flabbergasted, because it was so limited," she said Monday of the final vote. "We know we had the votes, but people switched."

One of those who switched was state Rep. Kathy Swan, R-Cape Girardeau.

Swan was among 91 lawmakers who voted for the amended bill April 19. The measure passed by a 32-vote margin.

But Thursday, lawmakers rejected the measure by a 21-vote margin. Swan voted with the majority of her colleagues in opposing the legislation.

Swan said she initially voted for the bill because it would have restricted use of the drug to dying cancer patients. Initially, the bill would have allowed marijuana to be used by patients suffering from various diseases, she pointed out.

"I wasn't in favor of it to begin with," she said.

Swan said she voted against final passage of the measure in large part because various law-enforcement groups opposed allowing even limited use of the drug.

"I think it is a gateway drug," she said of marijuana, echoing the view of many in law enforcement.

Opponents had argued permitting any form of legalized marijuana would lead to higher drug use by teenagers and even more pro-drug laws in the future.

"This is the elephant getting his nose under the tent," Swan said of the measure, citing a comment from a fellow lawmaker.

But Lichtenegger said she believes Missouri needs to adopt regulations in advance of any initiative petition effort that would legalize marijuana and allow cannabis shops to open, as has happened in Colorado.

Efforts to legalize marijuana have sprouted up all over the nation, she said. Twenty-three states permit medical cannabis, according to the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

Pro-marijuana supporters have been collecting voter signatures in Missouri to place a referendum on the November ballot. One petitioner sought voter signatures outside the Arena Building polling place in Cape Girardeau at the municipal election earlier this month.

The "New Approach Missouri" effort has collected over 200,000 signatures so far, according to John Payne, the group's political director. Some 168,000 signatures are needed to put the issue on the ballot, but Payne said the group wants to make sure it has more than enough signatures because some likely will prove to be invalid.

Petitions must be submitted to the Missouri secretary of state's office by 5 p.m. May 8 to be considered for the November ballot.

The proposal seeks to amend the state constitution to legalize medical marijuana and allow physicians to decide when their patients need the drug. If approved by a simple majority, Payne envisions as many as 160 privately operated medical cannabis dispensaries would be established throughout the state.

As for the House bill, Lichtenegger said it would not have allowed people to "smoke a joint." The marijuana would have been available to patients through intravenous injections or pills, she explained.

The legalization effort is not going away, Lichtenegger said, suggesting Missouri will continue to be faced with how to regulate it.

"People can stick their heads in the ground and act like an ostrich; I am not willing to do that," she said.

State Rep. Holly Rehder, R-Sikeston, twice voted against the bill last week. Rehder said she was concerned the measure would open the door to further use of marijuana for a whole variety of diseases.

"To me, that was a big red flag," she said.

Rehder said she also worried state senators might amend the legislation to expand marijuana use.

"I feel like the original intent of this bill was much broader," she said.

Meanwhile, voters in Swan's Cape Girardeau district remain almost evenly divided on the issue. Nearly 48 percent of about 400 survey respondents this spring favored allowing the use of medical marijuana, while just over 49 percent opposed the idea. Another 3 percent gave no opinion.

Cannabis_Flower9.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: MO: Lawmakers Split Over Failed Medical Marijuana Bill; Voters May Have A Say
Author: Mark Bliss
Photo Credit: Seth Perlman

Grew up in saint Louis. Moved almost 20 years ago. Last year visited and went to church with mom. Even precher was down talking cali medical cannabis. How it is so bad blah blah. I learned two things. I am never going back to st.Louis or a church again.

We are working very hard in Missouri to get the Show-Me Cannabis petition signed, and then to push for votes in November. Looking at each side of the state, newspaper articles in both the St. Louis Post Dispatch and the Kansas City Star have shown an almost 95% positive response rate when they run articles on medical cannabis. Opposition can still be seen in rural Missouri, but the two big population centers in the state appear to be poised to get us the votes we need. The politicians have proven they can not get this done by themselves without a ballot initiative, and to quote State Senator David Pearce, "I have to represent my constituents in rural Missouri, and until the American Cancer Society endorses medical marijuana, I can not vote for it." This refusal to take a stand, seems to be very common among career politicians.

The man you mentioned, who was on the billboards across Missouri met with me yesterday and reported over 230,000 signatures ready to turn in. Jeff Mizanskey has become a one man petition drive and together with his son and family have been tirelessly crisscrossing the state seeking signatures. After serving 2 decades of a life sentence for pot after a third strike drug conviction, Jeff was given clemency on September 1st, 2015 and now because of his special circumstance, he really has a lot to say... and Missourians are listening.

I will be interviewing Jeff in a couple of weeks for an exclusive article here at 420 Magazine, and I am interested in questions you may wish to ask him. Please visit my thread at Interview Questions to pose questions for this interview.

We are winning in Missouri! Show-Me Cannabis has been a huge success so far and I strongly believe that Missouri will go legal in November.

Sense Emilya

I do agree with you things are changing. I was arrested in California and had to go through the legal system. I could go on how unfair and messed that system is. But then I was lucky enough to get caught in california if you will. I can't imagine what this man Jeff went through......and he had a son. To hear he is free is truly good news. But he probably feels how I felt.happy to be free but he still lost a very long time to the state. I think I would just listen. I think He has earned the right to have his say.I never thought the legal system was really great but it hadn't really effected me. When it did it changed my whole perspective. I think it's a experience everyone should have if anyone is forced to.

Where can people from missouri go to sign? I am sure I could get a few family members to sign. They live in south st Louis and overland.

I don't know if it's that great of a deal. I could have read it wrong and did just it quick read. I do like that anyone can sign up to run a grow facility. $20,000 a year tax plus retail tax seems pretty steep. And what's up with emergency changes?I never understood why these things have to be so messy. Prop215 in California was simple and clear. It dropped the ball on the "no profit". Fixed with sd420.

But it does open the door and people are in need. I don't mean to sound callous. It only took us in California since 1999 and it changed again this year.

Back
Top Bottom